Jack Bruce slates Led Zep!

clarksdale

Kind of off base here but Jack released an album with Robin Trower and Gary Husband earlier this year and it is killer. Amazing playing from all and great vocals from Jack. It sounds like a "lost" Cream album with Hendrix on guitar, well sort of, but it is a great album.

517MrpNK37L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This may be another reason he's so upset with Zep. I remember reading an interview with Ginger Baker a few months ago where he states that Cream were going to a few songs at the 02 tribute show, but then bowed out when Zeppelin decided to do a whole set.

And to a prior question, yes Clapton decided he was through with the Cream reunion when Jack Bruce turned into Mr Hyde on stage in New York. Ginger claims that Bruce yelled at him onstage in front of thousands, and then tried to deafen him by cranking his bass up. After the first night, Ginger claimed that Jack killed the magic and the next two nights were nothing more than a "lets get through the shows and get out of here" kind of thing. It was then that Clapton decided that Bruce and Baker would never get along and he didn't need anymore of it.

I've read several interviews with all three since that last Garden show, and Jack is the only one who ever states that they will being doing something again in the future. Clapton and Baker consistently say it's over.

Jack Bruce is a jerk.

Jack Bruce is an idiot. Cream existed 2 years. LZ created the rock sound that later would develop into heavy metal. Cream was just a cover band with 3 egoists. They are all a bit amusingly, especially Ginger Baker. Most of their songs are covers. And: all Zep members a way better in playing than the cream members. So lets trie to forget Bruce's words as fast as possible.

Can't say that I agree with Jack Bruce's opinion but as some before me have said, it won't affect my opinion of Creams music one iota. Mind you, I do have to ask myself why he has chosen to vent at this stage of the game. Not really sure if he had a point or not TBH. Don't really care either :D

Jack Bruce is an idiot. Cream existed 2 years. LZ created the rock sound that later would develop into heavy metal. Cream was just a cover band with 3 egoists. They are all a bit amusingly, especially Ginger Baker. Most of their songs are covers. And: all Zep members a way better in playing than the cream members. So lets trie to forget Bruce's words as fast as possible.

I don't think the length of time a band is around is any measure of their success or impact they had on music - Cream certainly influenced a lot of bands and in my opinion, were damned good musicians.

I don't think the length of time a band is around is any measure of their success or impact they had on music - Cream certainly influenced a lot of bands and in my opinion, were damned good musicians.

Totally agree ninelives. Anyone who say's they didn't influence the music scene is not very well informed. There are plenty of influential artists who would not be considered... nice guy's but it does not diminish their contributions

Nope. Jimmy once suggested that Jethro Tull should do a live album while in L.A. and call it "Bore 'Em At The Forum". :lol:

Jimmy also had alot of distain for Pink Floyd during their climb to superstars in the mid-70s. But those two incidents are the only two times I can remember reading a direct quote by him where had put down another artist.

As for Jack, well...you take alot of acid in your life and this is sometimes what you get. But I think if anything, Jack has just never gotten over all the acculades Zeppelin received when they broke out. (ie, the next Beatles etc. etc.) I'm sure that didn't sit well with the first super group to turn up the blues only to see better-fitting musicians take a blueprint and change rock and roll forever.

Jimmy also had alot of distain for Pink Floyd during their climb to superstars in the mid-70s. But those two incidents are the only two times I can remember reading a direct quote by him where had put down another artist.

As for Jack, well...you take alot of acid in your life and this is sometimes what you get. But I think if anything, Jack has just never gotten over all the acculades Zeppelin received when they broke out. (ie, the next Beatles etc. etc.) I'm sure that didn't sit well with the first super group to turn up the blues only to see better-fitting musicians take a blueprint and change rock and roll forever.

Yeah, I think Jack has popped way too much Orange Sunshine. Mind you, he probably loves Pink Floyd :D

Jimmy also had alot of distain for Pink Floyd during their climb to superstars in the mid-70s.

Really? I'd be interested to read any quotes from Jimmy about Pink Floyd. I'd have said that Floyd were one of the few major early 70s bands that weren't in any kind of musical competition with Zep as they were entirely outside of the blues rock or prog rock style and were very original and pushed music forward. I would have thought Jimmy would respect that and appreciate it, as he has done with other bands since (e.g. Radiohead or Trans-Global Underground).

Unless some interviewer landed him with a leading question like, "Do you think Pink Floyd are better than Led Zeppelin?" which might have got some minor put-down in return?

Cream was an awesome Band as good as Zeppelin no but still one of the best and one of my all time favorites. Jack is only talking Shit because Bonzo is not here anymore to whip His Ass. Still Love Your Music but back off My Hero Jimmy Page is the Man leave Him alone.Also Robert's Voice is just fine .

Pink Floyd?! Absolutely no disdain - he LOVED them, and especially The Dark Side of the Moon.

As for Jethro Tull, that's merely an anecdote from Richard Cole. For some reason the bands developed some mutual antagonism for a while though (in 1976 Robert and Ian Anderson argued about taxes, if I remember correctly).

There was some straining between Jimmy and Eric Clapton for a while, too, perhaps due to the issues around the decision by Immediate to release old jam sessions by Jimmy and Eric. It's noticeable in the classic Rolling Stone interview Cameron Crowe did in 1975. It was pointless for Eric to get pissed off really, because Jimmy's hands were forced in the matter, and he couldn't prevent it from being released.

I love Cream and even "Wrapping Paper," that doesn't sound like a rock song at all. I don't understand why Jack Bruce is saying all this now. If this goes on, I wonder what Jimmy will say. I love Jimmy much more than Eric. You're also forgetting Jimmy took Charlotte away from Eric.

Pink Floyd?! Absolutely no disdain - he LOVED them, and especially The Dark Side of the Moon.

I misquoted the reference. I got the book out and reread what he said.

Referencing New Wave in Britain:

We were aware of it, but it's not...I mean, music is like a 360 degree circle from which some people may drop out to let others come in. And there are obvious examples of that. Say, the feelings that Free generated and which was replaced by Bad Company. Also, the raw blues, going back to the early Fleetwood Mac days. Well, now you have George Thorogood. And Herman's Hermits are replaced by the Bay City Rollers. Bands like us and-I hate to say it but...The Floyd...we're off in our own little bits. It's always open for anybody who's really raw and earthy and who makes sheer rock and roll music. Even though much of the New Wave has political content...I mean, The Damned-I was absolutely amazed by the power that was coming out of them. Though they didn't really fit into the New Wave movement as such.

And speaking of Ginger Baker, here's a good quote by Bonzo.

"People hadn't really taken much notice of drums before Krupa. And Ginger Baker was responsible for the same thing in rock. Rock music had been around for a few years before Baker, but he was the first to come out with this 'new' attitude-that a drummer could be a forward musician in a rock band, and not something that was stuck in the background and forgotten about. I don't think anyone can ever put Ginger Baker down. Of course, everyone has their own idea of when Baker was at his peak. I thought he was fantastic when he played with the Graham Bond Organization. It's a pity American audiences didn't see that band, because it really was a fantastic group- Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and Graham Bond. I think Baker was really more into jazz than rock. He does play with a jazz influence. He's always doing things in 5/4 and 3/4 tempos. Unfortunately he's always been a very weird sort of bloke. You can't really get to know him...he just won't allow it. Ginger's thing as a drummer is that he was always himself."

For what it's worth, I love both Cream and Led Zep.

Zep @ Knebworth, Zep @ the O2 and Cream @ the Albert Hall were the three best gigs I ever saw.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, including Mr. Bruce.

So here's mine: Grow up Jack, and stop being such a prick.

I'm beginning to understand why Ginger pulled a knife on you back in the 60's.

And to a prior question, yes Clapton decided he was through with the Cream reunion when Jack Bruce turned into Mr Hyde on stage in New York. Ginger claims that Bruce yelled at him onstage in front of thousands, and then tried to deafen him by cranking his bass up. After the first night, Ginger claimed that Jack killed the magic and the next two nights were nothing more than a "lets get through the shows and get out of here" kind of thing. It was then that Clapton decided that Bruce and Baker would never get along and he didn't need anymore of it.

Jack Bruce is a jerk.

The funny thing is...there is some sort of award ceremony for Ginger next month, with a number of other musicians in attendance. One of which is Jack Bruce.

Jack and Ginger have also played together since Cream split, with Gary Moore.

I can't help think there's a real love/hate thing going on here, each probably loves the other guy as a musician, but can't get on with him as a human being!

As for 'Jack Bruce is a jerk'...see my previous post!!

Archived