need a little help from some drummers

katydidgood

I am picking out a drum set for my 16 yr ol son,ben. :slapface:

Musicians friend has a pulse 5 pc w/hardware and cymbal stands everything basically but a throne for 295~scratch and dent~

I can't spend a fortune on a pearl or whatnot but is pulse any good or is it really bad?

Appreciate any input yall might have and still checking my swap sheet.

Many thanks

katy--Pulse is probably an ok starter kit but Ludwig, Yamaha, and Pearl make decent starter kits as well. Not at that price but you get what you pay for. It all depends on what Ben's playing style or intent is. If he's a basher(heavy hitter), I wouldn't waste the money on the Pulse because he'll end up destroying it and you're gonna have to end up getting another kit anyway. If it's a passing fancy and you don't think he'll stick with playing drums, let him bash the Pulse and then he doesn't get another kit. It's hard to answer without knowing the situation.

I would go with a lower model of Ludwig or even Mapex. I've seen Ludwigs go for $499 and they're decent kits. Zildjan sells cymbal starter packs for a reasonable price as well. Drums are an incredibly expensive hobby so you wanna don't piss away a whole lotta money unless he's serious about playing.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask me any other questions.

Also, I would check out actual music stores.

Thanks that was really helpful. I think he will be a heavy hitter. He has never played but when he is pissed or frustrated or sometimes even happy he taps and bangs on things and sometimes I've noticed a rythm so I figure why not see what happens. He may or may not stick to it.

I think I will go ahead and spend a little more. I did see some kits for 499 or so.

a couple a more ?

shell kit? just the drum no stand/hardware?

what is good a start three drums w/cymbals

or the five piece without cymbals~~~ahhh hes got to have some cymbals

thanks~a~bunch

You can get a Ludwig Accent shell kit for 349.99. They are decent kits, I still have one. If you use the right heads and tune it correctly, they sound as good as any 2,000 dollar kit out there.

With that specific kit, you get a hi-hat stand and two cymbal stands.

For cymbals, I would go cheap if he's just starting out. They can be expensive. My cymbals were 1500 bucks.

Thanks that was really helpful. I think he will be a heavy hitter. He has never played but when he is pissed or frustrated or sometimes even happy he taps and bangs on things and sometimes I've noticed a rythm so I figure why not see what happens. He may or may not stick to it.

I think I will go ahead and spend a little more. I did see some kits for 499 or so.

a couple a more ?

shell kit? just the drum no stand/hardware?

what is good a start three drums w/cymbals

or the five piece without cymbals~~~ahhh hes got to have some cymbals

thanks~a~bunch

You're very welcome! He definitely sounds like a future drummer. LOL

Most kits in the $399-$499 price range come with hardware(cymbal stands and a snare stand). Be sure to check and make sure it says "w/hardware" or "hardware included" in the description. That's why I suggest an actual music store because they can answer all those questions AND you can probably get them to come down some on the price. With sales in the tank and Xmas coming, you will have more leverage dealing with someone in person.

The kits never come with cymbals so you will have to get those. I mentioned the starter pack because good cymbals range anywhere from 200-400 a piece! The starter pack usually comes with the hi-hat cymbals, a crash and a ride all in one box. Maybe even two crashes sometimes.

You might as well go with a 5-piece. He'll need a throne as well. Just get the cheapest for now. He can upgrade later. They are usually around $30-$40 if that much.

It's a shame you live in CA because I would offer to help you out at a store to haggle. The guys around here usually hide behind the counter when I come in. LOL

In short, a 5-piece with hardware included. Cymbal starter pack and a throne.

Oh, and ear plugs........FOR YOU! LOL

katy--Pulse is probably an ok starter kit but Ludwig, Yamaha, and Pearl make decent starter kits as well. Not at that price but you get what you pay for. It all depends on what Ben's playing style or intent is. If he's a basher(heavy hitter), I wouldn't waste the money on the Pulse because he'll end up destroying it and you're gonna have to end up getting another kit anyway. If it's a passing fancy and you don't think he'll stick with playing drums, let him bash the Pulse and then he doesn't get another kit. It's hard to answer without knowing the situation.

I would go with a lower model of Ludwig or even Mapex. I've seen Ludwigs go for $499 and they're decent kits. Zildjan sells cymbal starter packs for a reasonable price as well. Drums are an incredibly expensive hobby so you wanna don't piss away a whole lotta money unless he's serious about playing.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask me any other questions.

Also, I would check out actual music stores.

Totally agree with what you and Bigstick have said. It's worth the few extra dollars and I have found that most reputable music stores are more than fair with young players when it comes to overall price and also when and if they decide to trade up

well went down to our little music store. An ol little house. Anyway he had one set out. but it is so nice

Its a peace 6 piece with three cymbals hi-hat crash and what did ya say ride...with stands and a throne for 1295. I like the color, tobacco fade.

But he also has a 5 piece peace legion with 2 cyms and stands. and will throw in an extra cymbal stand for 689.

Honestly I just like the name

still looking

well went down to our little music store. An ol little house. Anyway he had one set out. but it is so nice

Its a peace 6 piece with three cymbals hi-hat crash and what did ya say ride...with stands and a throne for 1295. I like the color, tobacco fade.

But he also has a 5 piece peace legion with 2 cyms and stands. and will throw in an extra cymbal stand for 689.

Honestly I just like the name

still looking

You can do so much better than that, especially for a first time drummer.

You've gotten some wonderful advice in this thread, I'd follow it. :)

Now when you actually get the set, make him go take lessons right away. For the sake of your ears.

You actually don't need to own a drum kit to start drumming, just a practice pad and some sticks.

Also, make sure he learns some swing and jazz, all good drummers can play swing. Trust me.

:o A neighbor of mine once had 5 or 6 of these with the tops, filled to different levels of water and played some wicked sounds on them :blink:

3_5-gal-bucket.jpg

Lmao, hah! He has played his pillows for awhile too!

and yes Levee I will follow the advice. Our town is so little, and this guy has a small music shop thats why hes priced so high. I kinda feel for him~everyone tryin to make a buck ya know~

Thanks everyone for all your input, I'll let ya know what I end up with!!

I'd say that if money is tight to at least invest in a GOOD snare drum at the start.

Musician's Friend has tons of models and if it was me I'd get him the Ludwig 'Supraphonic' model. They come in 5"x14" and 6.5"x14". You can't go wrong. :)

I'd say that if money is tight to at least invest in a GOOD snare drum at the start.

Musician's Friend has tons of models and if it was me I'd get him the Ludwig 'Supraphonic' model. They come in 5"x14" and 6.5"x14". You can't go wrong. :)

I have a '69 Supraphonic and I can attest.........

Thanks so much!!

I wanted to show yall this one I found

Ludwig Pinnacle Complete 5 Piece Drum Set comes with Shells, Cymbals, Hardware and Sticks; Everything you need to play in one box!

Shells made from Basswood, the Pinnacle is an excellent drum set for anyone looking for a smooth even sound from its high top-end of its chiming cymbals, to the low-bottom of the Kick. Ready to play right out of the box, this kit comes with an 8-ply bass drum, snare and 3 (6-ply) toms. Not to mention the fact that you get double braced stands, a kick pedal, drum throne, cymbals and even sticks to bang out your beat.

22x18 inch Bass Drum

5.5x14 snare

10x8 & 12x9 inch rack toms

16x14 floor tom

all for 449, free shipping and free extended warranty? I'm looking back at your snare drum suggestions. Will this do?

We can always get a supraphonic for his bday if he takes to it huh?

Thanks so much!!

We can always get a supraphonic for his bday if he takes to it huh?

Yes!!

Too bad you weren't around a couple years back. I sold my old maple Ludwigs with all Zildjian cymbals plus a Pearl hi-hat and a 14" china cymbal. Damn, that china was loud. :lol: The shells of the drums had been 'modified' by a previous owner for some un-Godly reason but they still sounded great. I sold all for $550!!

I am picking out a drum set for my 16 yr ol son,ben. :slapface:

Musicians friend has a pulse 5 pc w/hardware and cymbal stands everything basically but a throne for 295~scratch and dent~

I can't spend a fortune on a pearl or whatnot but is pulse any good or is it really bad?

Appreciate any input yall might have and still checking my swap sheet.

Many thanks

As mentioned before, Ludwig makes some decent lower priced kits, and I agree that Pulse or Sound Percussion kits are a waste of money. Another brand to consider is Tama. They make great kits and are sturdy as hell. Especially the hardware. I played a Superstar kit for nearly 25 years and am sorry I got rid of it now. Gretsch also makes has some low priced models too. Good luck and happy shopping!

Archived