A Stairway to Hell

Bong-Man

That's how I feel about "Start Me Up". If I gotta hear that fucking song one more time I'm gonna hurl..

B)

I like that song, actually. Wasn't too fond of it when Bill Gates used it for the launch of Windows95, but I haven't been bombarded with it on the radio, so the intermittent times I do hear it, it doesn't bother me.

Hi all,

I don't know if any can remember hearing the song for the first time,1971 and also radio playing the s*** out of it there after,.....even in 1973,74,75,if a band could play(or attempt to play) it for the final song of the high school dance we didn't hire them! :D

After that I would play the song at least once a year,....on Christmas Day.Still do,to this day,roll out of bed and hit play.No matter where I have been at,the top and the bottom.I listen to it.Because?The whole thing,the start,the jazz,the build up and those power chords as Robert sings,....

And if you listen very hard.The truth will come to you at last.That all is one and one is all.To be a rock and not to roll.

Yes,in deed. B)

KB

Wood only plays on "Hey Negrita", and "Cherry Oh Baby".

Wayne Perkins is the lead guitarist you hear on "Hand Of Fate" that sounds so much like Taylor. Perkins and Harvey Mandel cover the leads on the bulk of the material, Keith plays lead on "Crazy Mama".

Wood's first album as a full member of the band is "Some Girls".

Negrita is my fave song on the album. The riff is just flat out filthy.

I could live without Fool to Cry but the rest of that record is great.

Hi all,

I don't know if any can remember hearing the song for the first time,1971 and also radio playing the s*** out of it there after,.....even in 1973,74,75,if a band could play(or attempt to play) it for the final song of the high school dance we didn't hire them! :D

After that I would play the song at least once a year,....on Christmas Day.Still do,to this day,roll out of bed and hit play.No matter where I have been at,the top and the bottom.I listen to it.Because?The whole thing,the start,the jazz,the build up and those power chords as Robert sings,....

Yes,in deed. B)

KB

Memory's, Memory's :D I'm like you KB . I'll throw it on once or twice a year or if it happens to come on the radio, I crank it up. It's been played to death over the years but in small doses, there really is nothing like it.

Of course, of course...I won't hijack again. At leas :D t 'til tomorrow...

Actually, I'm enjoying the discussion. Believe it or not, I probably have listened to "Black & Blue" more than any other Stones album....a personal favorite. I feel pretty much the same about "It's Only Rock and Roll". Critics tore that album apart because it didn't feature any kind of new direction....that it was a re-hash. They didn't have a clue at the time that it was going to be that way for another 30 years.

I never tire of Stairway. I think I appreciate it now more than I ever did. Getting 100 or so new versions kind of helped that cause. B)

Actually, I'm enjoying the discussion. Believe it or not, I probably have listened to "Black & Blue" more than any other Stones album....a personal favorite. I feel pretty much the same about "It's Only Rock and Roll". Critics tore that album apart because it didn't feature any kind of new direction....that it was a re-hash. They didn't have a clue at the time that it was going to be that way for another 30 years.

I never tire of Stairway. I think I appreciate it now more than I ever did. Getting 100 or so new versions kind of helped that cause. B)

It's only R&R is great. My fave tracks are the last on each side: TIme waits for no one and Fingerprint File. Like the critics have a f'in clue? :slapface:

ha I like emotional rescue and the bee gees :bagoverhead: lol

Me too. With the passage of time disco has gotten better, much of it has killer bass lines and funky guitar. IMO it's time to get over the "disco sucks" thing, it's been 30 years. Besides Miss You was just as disco as Emotional Rescue and not many people bag on that song. But yeah I'd take even the silliest disco songs, like Fly Robin Fly, over much of the current crappy rock out there.

As far as STH goes it never gets old to me. Not my fave song but I crank it every time I hear it on the radio.

Me too. With the passage of time disco has gotten better, much of it has killer bass lines and funky guitar. IMO it's time to get over the "disco sucks" thing, it's been 30 years. Besides Miss You was just as disco as Emotional Rescue and not many people bag on that song. But yeah I'd take even the silliest disco songs, like Fly Robin Fly, over much of the current crappy rock out there.

As far as STH goes it never gets old to me. Not my fave song but I crank it every time I hear it on the radio.

Do a little dance, make a little love....Get Down Tonite ! B)

Yeah it's a mongrel thread.

Hey Levee!

Begs the question - what is the Stones' equivalent of Stairway? Midnight Rambler?

Not uplifting but pretty powerful. Or Sympathy for the Devil?

I love Stairway, always have, always will. The fact that it was played to death is unfortunate, but always reminds me of a famous quote from Irving Berlin: “Never hate a song that's sold a half million copies.” Or 30 million for that matter...

...like this is the first time a thread's ever been hijacked

Would it even be the LZ forums if it weren't??

Confession - I like the BeeGees, too. Also, Three Dog Night. Had to give them both a long rest, kind of like Stairway, but damn, they still make me smile...

What a strange thread! :wacko::lol:

It's hard to compare STH with anything in the Stones' legacy - you would have to compare it with something long that has a careful build-up; but you always wind up with something very different. You Can't Always Get What You Want, for instance. STH in many ways is a song that shows the specificity of Led Zeppelin.

I don't think there is a "Stairway" in the Stones' catalog, but have you noticed that "Gimme Shelter" seems to be the Stones tune of choice for the last few years ? (probably just my illusion)

Always liked "Lonely Days Lonely Nights".

It's hard to compare STH with anything in the Stones' legacy - you would have to compare it with something long that has a careful build-up; but you always wind up with something very different. You Can't Always Get What You Want, for instance. STH in many ways is a song that shows the specificity of Led Zeppelin.

It might be Can't You Hear Me Knocking or Sweet Virginia for me but in 10 minutes i might change it to something else.

I do, however believe that STH is one of a kind...both in composition and impact. I don't need to hear it today but you know what i mean.

Yeah, Stairway stands on its own. I meant in the sense of, a song that is powerful, somewhat complex, and says The Rolling Stones and no one else.

I get just about as worked up to Midnight Rambler except for the literally bloody lyrics! But man, that thing rocks...

I like You Can't Always... that's a definite contender.

I like that song, actually. Wasn't too fond of it when Bill Gates used it for the launch of Windows95, but I haven't been bombarded with it on the radio, so the intermittent times I do hear it, it doesn't bother me.

That's what I meant by 10 million reasons!

Sorry Dave. I didn't start out trying to hijack the thread. :lol:

I'm sure you didn't. It just happens, but done in a good way. Not a lot of nonsense as what happens, with a lot of these.

Archived