Question for those who don't want a reunion

Zepaholic

Hey People, I just had a brainstorm the other day. Brad Whitford from Aerosmith was interviewed and confirmed that Steven Tyler was in the studio w/ the 3J's, and that it was pretty much just an attempt to make Robert jealous, or let him know that they were seriously going to tour w/out him, but I think it goes deeper than that. Aerosmith is in the process of putting out another studio album and touring again, I think, hope they will tour together. I wouldn't want Steven Tyler to replace Robert or be Zep's main singer, but there are Zep songs he fits right in with. The 3J's should hire Miles Kennedy for their main singer, go on tour w/ Aerosmith, and they can all Jam together at different times, and showcase all of their new music. And why not put a song w/ Steven on their new 3Js' album. Just Dreamin' and Hoping!

Hey People, I just had a brainstorm the other day. Brad Whitford from Aerosmith was interviewed and confirmed that Steven Tyler was in the studio w/ the 3J's, and that it was pretty much just an attempt to make Robert jealous, or let him know that they were seriously going to tour w/out him, but I think it goes deeper than that. Aerosmith is in the process of putting out another studio album and touring again, I think, hope they will tour together. I wouldn't want Steven Tyler to replace Robert or be Zep's main singer, but there are Zep songs he fits right in with. The 3J's should hire Miles Kennedy for their main singer, go on tour w/ Aerosmith, and they can all Jam together at different times, and showcase all of their new music. And why not put a song w/ Steven on their new 3Js' album. Just Dreamin' and Hoping!

aerosmith or steve tyler are not in the zeppelin league.

think a few notches down and maybe you have it.

No, he said that's what he THOUGHT it was.

aerosmith or steve tyler are not in the zeppelin league.

think a few notches down and maybe you have it.

We're all just speculating or trying to come up with some brainstorm or new idea. We just have to wait for the word. That's it!

I've read a few posts where people think that a reunion would "tarnish" their image. Hey, to each his own.

I'm wondering what the difference is between the J-3 (plus Joe Blow the singer) going out on tour with a new name and the Page Plant unledded tours in the 90's?

Really, both will feature only 2 original members and both have/will do a great deal of Zeppelin tracks.

Did Plant/Page tarnish your image of them? Or is it that you don't want them to tour even with Plant?!?!

Seeing Page/Plant was like heavy foreplay to me.Very enjoyable,but not orgasmic like seeing Led Zeppelin in 1977.

Image not tarnished at all.I was honored to be in their presence.

No keyboards so that diluted the possibilities.

Achilles or Song Remains the Same would have raised the bar higher.

JPJ, JP, and JB touring, in and of itself would not tarnish Zep's image. it's when they tour proclaiming to be "Led Zeppelin" that they tarnish Zep's image. P&P didn't tarnish Zep's image because they called themselves exactly what they were: Page & Plant. I don't give a shit what anyone says, Jones, Page, and Jason is not Led Zeppelin. they have every right to tour and call themselves what they want, but it's the act of calling themselves "Led Zeppelin" (were they to do that) that becomes questionable and potentially tarnishes their image...

Actually I don't really get the image-tarnishing thing at all. We'd look back at the albums and listen to and watch boots of great shows, and suddenly they'd all seem diminished if this new band isn't so hot? Especially as the new band has a different line-up from the band with the legacy?

It puts Jimmy Page, for one, in an impossible position--like saying he should never play ever again in case it's not quite as good as his work in the past.

My own take on this is that, given the circumstances, I was prepared to accept the O2 line-up as Led Zeppelin...but if they go out on the road with another singer, it's not Zep as far as I'm concerned. Replacing someone who plays an instrument is one thing, but getting another singer completely changes the character of a band. Even billing it as 'Led Zeppelin with xxx' a la Queen doesn't sound right to me.

I'm hoping the three J's might start afresh, with a new singer, new material, new band name, and some smallish gigs. Maybe not even play any Zeppelin numbers. A tall order, I know...but I'm really hoping Jimmy can come up with some stuff to make us sit up and take notice of what he's doing now rather than the Glory Days.

Actually I don't really get the image-tarnishing thing at all. We'd look back at the albums and listen to and watch boots of great shows, and suddenly they'd all seem diminished if this new band isn't so hot? Especially as the new band has a different line-up from the band with the legacy?

It puts Jimmy Page, for one, in an impossible position--like saying he should never play ever again in case it's not quite as good as his work in the past.

see, that's what you don't get. nobody's saying Jimmy can't ever play again. well, maybe some are, but they're idiots. we're saying we'd rather not see him cobble together a band and tour under the guise of "Led Zeppelin" when that band is not Led Zeppelin. call the band something else, is it that hard?

of course this is all probably a moot point, because i doubt Jimmy would try to tour as Led Zeppelin without Plant.

see, that's what you don't get. nobody's saying Jimmy can't ever play again. well, maybe some are, but they're idiots. we're saying we'd rather not see him cobble together a band and tour under the guise of "Led Zeppelin" when that band is not Led Zeppelin. call the band something else, is it that hard?

of course this is all probably a moot point, because i doubt Jimmy would try to tour as Led Zeppelin without Plant.

That's what I've been arguing all along--that this band should not be called Zeppelin. So no, it's not hard, you arrogant--person. But there has been a lot of argument that they should not form a band and tour together, whatever it's called, because people will still identify them as Zeppelin and that would tarnish the Zeppelin legacy. That's what I was arguing against--so sorry you didn't get it.

Edited to add, even if they did tour as Zeppelin, I still don't see how that affects the work they've already done in the past.

There's too many purist theorists out there- "Led Zeppelin isn't Led Zeppelin without John Bonham and Robert Plant," blah blah, well here's the irony: In 2007, Jason could have easily crawled in a hole and said, "Can't help out- I don't want to be compared to my Dad." If he didn't agree to the gig, I highly doubt Jimmy would have agreed to do the O2 show at all. If THAT happened, we wouldn't be here arguing over What's In A Name.

What does it matter anyway? If you don't want a reunion, don't buy a ticket. It'll save more seats for the rest of us who do want to go.

That's what I've been arguing all along--that this band should not be called Zeppelin. So no, it's not hard, you arrogant--person. But there has been a lot of argument that they should not form a band and tour together, whatever it's called, because people will still identify them as Zeppelin and that would tarnish the Zeppelin legacy. That's what I was arguing against--so sorry you didn't get it.

Edited to add, even if they did tour as Zeppelin, I still don't see how that affects the work they've already done in the past.

i'm sorry i misunderstood your post, and sorry if i sounded mean. it's just a bit frustrating when people take "i'd rather they not tour as Led Zeppelin" to mean "i don't want Jimmy to ever play onstage ever again" which is what i took you and other people's posts to mean. let me clarify: i'm all for any tour involving any combination of Led Zeppelin members. i don't give a hoot what it's called, but if i had the opportunity to choose, i would choose that they not call themselves Led Zeppelin. of course them touring now does not diminish their past work, but it does diminish future work, at least in my mind. i'd think much more highly of any new music if it was under a new name, a name that fits the new band. for instance, i think the present version of The Who sounds great, but i can never seriously consider their albums to be real Who albums, it's just not The Who without Keith or John.

i'm sorry i misunderstood your post, and sorry if i sounded mean. it's just a bit frustrating when people take "i'd rather they not tour as Led Zeppelin" to mean "i don't want Jimmy to ever play onstage ever again" which is what i took you and other people's posts to mean. let me clarify: i'm all for any tour involving any combination of Led Zeppelin members. i don't give a hoot what it's called, but if i had the opportunity to choose, i would choose that they not call themselves Led Zeppelin. of course them touring now does not diminish their past work, but it does diminish future work, at least in my mind. i'd think much more highly of any new music if it was under a new name, a name that fits the new band. for instance, i think the present version of The Who sounds great, but i can never seriously consider their albums to be real Who albums, it's just not The Who without Keith or John.

Well, I did say that worrying too much about the legacy put Jimmy in an impossible position regarding future gigs, meaning that was a BAD thing!

But OK, seems there was a misunderstanding here (makes a change from me misunderstanding someone else!), and we do agree on a lot, in fact, if not all of it. Here's to some new music and new gigs, whatever they call themselves. :beer:

Seeing Page/Plant was like heavy foreplay to me.Very enjoyable,but not orgasmic like seeing Led Zeppelin in 1977.

Image not tarnished at all.I was honored to be in their presence.

No keyboards so that diluted the possibilities.

Achilles or Song Remains the Same would have raised the bar higher.

they played both at the 95 Boston Garden shows.

NOTHING can tarnish the image, unless your one of those music snobs who doesnt even play an instrument, yet thinks they know everything about music! Not to say you are...

I'm a huge music fan, have been since I was a child in the 70s but I can't play a note. That doesn't mean I don't know anything about music or am not entitled to an opinion since I'm not a musician.

There's too many purist theorists out there- "Led Zeppelin isn't Led Zeppelin without John Bonham and Robert Plant," blah blah, well here's the irony: In 2007, Jason could have easily crawled in a hole and said, "Can't help out- I don't want to be compared to my Dad." If he didn't agree to the gig, I highly doubt Jimmy would have agreed to do the O2 show at all. If THAT happened, we wouldn't be here arguing over What's In A Name.

What does it matter anyway? If you don't want a reunion, don't buy a ticket. It'll save more seats for the rest of us who do want to go.

Well said zeptangerine -- one of the best posts on the forum. The people whining about using the Zep name(which I believe won't happen anyway) need not go. Their short-sighted view will help the rest of us who want to see Led Zeppelin, Plant or no Plant, get tickets more easily. I hope the three J's get this rolling soon (as Zep or not)

I think it would definitely not be the same without Robert Plant. But he's doing amazing on his solo, and with Alison Krauss. I've seen him his last two shows in Toronto and well it was amazing..

And I'm sure whatever they decide on it will be quite the experience regardless. I saw Plant 3 years ago and it was 60% Zep songs for the set and I was just so happy to actually hear it live. And now a zeppelin tour? Im alot younger tho so I was not around when zeppelin was touring in the 70s and my Dad was so I grew up listening to it and hearing all the stories because my dad went to more than a handful of concerts. So the idea to just hear the songs live is a dream come true for me... but again Robert Plant should be the front man for this... I hope he comes around but its not looking good.

Well said zeptangerine -- one of the best posts on the forum. The people whining about using the Zep name(which I believe won't happen anyway) need not go. Their short-sighted view will help the rest of us who want to see Led Zeppelin, Plant or no Plant, get tickets more easily. I hope the three J's get this rolling soon (as Zep or not)

Since when were you in charge?

I don't want them to use the name - I'll be very disappointed in Jimmy if they do - but I'm going anyway. I'll be at as many gigs as I can get to to see Page play live again, but it won't be Led Zeppein I'm watching - whatever's on the t-shirt.

Thanks ziggyp22 - me, too!

:)

just read an article this morning about jagger turning 65, got me thinking could you imagine the stones touring without him?,same applies to percy,got no problem with page/jones/bonham touring but dont use the zep name have seen zep in 79 and plant/page in 95 both gigs were awesome,and would definetly see page/jones/bonham with whoever they decide to use as a frontnan.

JPJ, JP, and JB touring, in and of itself would not tarnish Zep's image. it's when they tour proclaiming to be "Led Zeppelin" that they tarnish Zep's image. P&P didn't tarnish Zep's image because they called themselves exactly what they were: Page & Plant. I don't give a shit what anyone says, Jones, Page, and Jason is not Led Zeppelin. they have every right to tour and call themselves what they want, but it's the act of calling themselves "Led Zeppelin" (were they to do that) that becomes questionable and potentially tarnishes their image...

Very well said, i totally agree.

THE thing is you were not going to SEE Led Zeppelin, you were going to see Jimmy Page and Robert Plant doing Led Zeppelin music in a different format............it certainly WAS NOT Led Zeppelin or billed that way.

That's not true, in fact. Adverts in 1995 for Page & Plant carried the tag-line "The evolution of Led Zeppelin continues.'

That's not true, in fact. Adverts in 1995 for Page & Plant carried the tag-line "The evolution of Led Zeppelin continues.'

Which is not billing them as Led Zeppelin.

Darwinists say we are the evolution of monkeys. Most of us don't bill ourselves as monkeys.

Archived