Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Laughter

Personal Distaste with Presence.

Interesting way of looking at the record, but the book ends of -achilles/tea for one is something i wouldnt have messed with...although they could have i guess. Maybe -nobody's fault but mine as the last song could have worked.

I think the radio/box set/early days-later/mothership will keep us appreciating each song on its own anyway.

The Who not only upstaged them, they blew the Stones right out of the water.

Had it not been for that annoying violin and Yoko shit, the Stones would have had the worst performance on Rock and Roll Circus.

But anyway Mick and the boys...

You are forgiven

YOU'RE ALL FORGIVEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamahR97xpA

:lol:

I agree with one of the above statements, the album is best when booked by ALS and T41

How can anyone in their right mind think that Presence is their best album. That is absurd. How can anyone think Presence can even rate with IV. Not even close. There are no Stairway to Heavens or even Black Dog or Rock and Roll or When the levee Breaks or Battle of Evermore's on Presence. To me it comes in number 8 out of the 8 studiio albums. (and like Ive always said-Coda doesnt count because Bonzo was gone and they never would have released it if he had lived)

But at the same time there is no Achilles Last Stand, For Your Life, Nobody's Fault But Mine, or Tea For One on IV. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I agree with you that IV is better, but that's not to say that there is a definitive opinion on the matter.

it was all start-and-stop rock.

Now this is what I hope to find in this forum, interesting observations! What a great way to put it, you really nailed it! Thats like the main feature of the album.

Thank you - more well thought observations like that one please! Its nice to be enlightened.

I think Custar Pie disrupts that order. I'd have liked The Rover to switch with it. CP segues better into IMTOD anyway.

Never head of Custar Pie which album is that from ?? :)

In my opinion your wrong although its only my opinion !! The Rover isn't as strong an opener for an album as Custard Pie is !! All the openers to Zep albums are all quite ballsy and up front where is The Rover isn't in your face like the others, a good song but not for an opener !!

Never head of Custar Pie which album is that from ?? :)

In my opinion your wrong although its only my opinion !! The Rover isn't as strong an opener for an album as Custard Pie is !! All the openers to Zep albums are all quite ballsy and up front where is The Rover isn't in your face like the others, a good song but not for an opener !!

Fuck, I wish I had Custard Pie to open up one of my albums :rolleyes:

Custard Pie is the most underrated Zep opening track.

Edited by GetTheLedOut

Fuck, I wish I had Custard Pie to open up one of my albums :rolleyes:

Custard Pie is the most underrated Zep opening track.

I don't think it is underrated ! shame they never did it live !! I think ?? and yes I wish i had written it myself too !!

Custard Pie is more of a tune for catchyness and less of being a great opener. To me it's like opening HOTH with D'yer Mak'er.

I don't think it is underrated ! shame they never did it live !! I think ?? and yes I wish i had written it myself too !!

You think it gets the credit it's due? You almost never heard it cited or played, and I'm sure all of these songs get more play/attention outside of the Zep community (and perhaps within as well):

Achilles Last Stand

Black Dog

Good Times Bad Times

Immigrant Song

In The Evening

The Song Remains The Same

Whole Lotta Love

When I first heard Presence back in 1976 it came as a huge disappointment compared to it's predecessor Physical Graffitti. 30 years on and it's still not a strong album but does have a few hot tracks such as Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine.

No point in messing about with it's running order, after all Sergeant Pepper would never be the same if it didn't finish with "A day in the Life".

Edited by bron-y-aur

Custard Pie is more of a tune for catchyness and less of being a great opener. To me it's like opening HOTH with D'yer Mak'er.

Glad we are all different, but I couldn't agree with you if my life depended on it :P anyway I better get back to on topic !! Presence is wonderful in the order it is now !

When I first heard Presence back in 1976 it came as a huge disappointment compared to it's predecessor Physical Graffitti. 30 years on and it's still not a strong album but does have a few hot tracks such as Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine.

No point in messing about with it's running order, after all Sergeant Pepper would never be the same if it didn't finish with "A day in the Life".

oh boy..

Actually i think -custard pie opens -physical graffiti really well, its raw like the nyc building on the cover. Its a good song considering its predessor album opening tracks....and maybe its not that big a deal considering how this rock band rocked.

Actually i think -custard pie opens -physical graffiti really well, its raw like the nyc building on the cover. Its a good song considering its predessor album opening tracks....and maybe its not that big a deal considering how this rock band rocked.

Not a big deal no, but neither is the song in light of Zeppelin's catalog. I think the Rover was crunchy as well. Certainly had a proto-heavy metal feel.

No need to tinker with a fantastic album

Not that I could. I'm just saying I would've put it in such a way that it would at least give the illusion of variety.

Not that I could. I'm just saying I would've put it in such a way that it would at least give the illusion of variety.

Achilles Last Stand,Tea For One,Candystore Rock,Hots on for Nowhere are different

ALS;progressive hard rock

Tea for One: blues track

Candy Store Rock Rockability

Hots of for Nowwhere:Funky hard rock

Achilles Last Stand,Tea For One,Candystore Rock,Hots on for Nowhere are different

ALS;progressive hard rock

Tea for One: blues track

Candy Store Rock Rockability

Hots of for Nowwhere:Funky hard rock

They're different by definition, I'll give it that. But as far as sound they run a bit too closely related. It's not the variety I'm used to.

Not a big deal no, but neither is the song in light of Zeppelin's catalog. I think the Rover was crunchy as well. Certainly had a proto-heavy metal feel.

Actually i think -in the light was a big deal... and -the rover/houses of the holy had a heavy rock feel, but not metal...but a metal sound in the riff of -houses, but hey no big deal.

The Stones were dissatisfied with the fact that the Who upstaged them (which I believe is an accurate observation). Mick wasn't at his best that day either.

and Brian Jones is sometimes in the mix, sometimes in the mix not, but you see him playing.

I think the party was running out of cocaine by the Stones set. Lot of horse jaw, and there are a few tense faces in the crowd.

I'm open to this idea of Achilles last though, kind of like how the epic Kashmir anchors side 2 of PG.

I personally love the order and would not change it around, and how were they supposed to know Achilles would be such a big hit, I'm not too fond of Royal Orleans and Hots For Nowhere though -_-

on the thought of Achilles... I think Achilles was the high water mark of their career... its unfortionate that the album its on has been bad-mouthed and shunned by the general music population...

It doesnt get much radio play because of its length... It doesnt get much praise because of the bias against Presence... It didnt have the time, like Stairway or Dazed and Confused to become immortal when performed live

I think when everything is considered... it has to be the most underrated song in history

Achilles Last Stand on the fairly recent DVD collection is AWESOME. I think arguably the best thing they've got recorded live (though to be fair I don't have access to the extenisve bootleg collections ome of you guys have...)

Like those songs as great as they are are even in the same league with Stairwasy or anything on IV.

The best of Presence is on par with IV. That's not the problem with Presence for most people. The issue is that Presence does not retain that quality the whole way through. With presence you have 4 great songs and then 3 songs that for most people aren't too memorable. IV's worst song (Four Sticks) is better than all 3 of those unmemorable songs, and that's why IMO IV is a better album, not because of your misguided claim that Stairway and the rest of the songs on IV are just inherently better.

You Presence defenders are in a vast minority.

On this board, that is in no way true.

The best of Presence is on par with IV. That's not the problem with Presence for most people. The issue is that Presence does not retain that quality the whole way through. With presence you have 4 great songs and then 3 songs that for most people aren't too memorable. IV's worst song (Four Sticks) is better than all 3 of those unmemorable songs, and that's why IMO IV is a better album, not because of your misguided claim that Stairway and the rest of the songs on IV are just inherently better.

On this board, that is in no way true.

The albums did get good reviews when it was released and many fans rank it as the most underrrated in the Zep catalog