1972 soundboards

pinky

It's funny how the ONLY available sounboard of all of the 1972 touring is What Is And What Should Never Be, Dancing Days, and Moby Dick from 6/27/72. Those are also available on HTWWW, 72 is my favorite year for Zep live and I'm really dissapointed that's all there is. What are the chances of seeing a full (or close to it) SBD from 72?

Most SBs don't really sound that good anyway.

ridiculous...yeah, a barely-discernable one dimensional audience recording that sounds like a wind tunnel is WAY better than hearing all of the instruments in excellent fidelity and separation too.

I would take a decent 72 soundboard over the entire combined audience 1977 tour recordings. Heck, you can throw in 1979 and 1980 too.

ridiculous...yeah, a barely-discernable one dimensional audience recording that sounds like a wind tunnel is WAY better than hearing all of the instruments in excellent fidelity and separation too.

I would take a decent 72 soundboard over the entire combined audience 1977 tour recordings. Heck, you can throw in 1979 and 1980 too.

I'm with you on that.

x2

There's a lot of bad audience board recording to. But the best Zeppelin boots are audience. Inglewood 1970, Japan tour in 71 and 72, all the Millard stuff in 75 and 77, I would even take the audience of Knebworth 8-4 over the soundboard.

I prefer soundboards over audience any day. Just compare a sbd and aud of the same show together, the sbd sounds better (at least from all the boots I have). HOWEVER, there are a few excellent audience recordings out there.

About the only audience recording I've heard that is honestly better than a soundboard is the famous 6/21/77 "Listen To This Eddie" 1st gen tape. That's like actually being there.

About the only audience recording I've heard that is honestly better than a soundboard is the famous 6/21/77 "Listen To This Eddie" 1st gen tape. That's like actually being there.

How about 3/7/70 Montreaux, The SBD is appaling not even being compared to the aud.

How about 3/7/70 Montreaux, The SBD is appaling not even veing compared to the aud.

Ahhhh, thanks for reminding me of that one! :D

That is another brilliant, "in your face" aud. recording. Quite a bit better than the SBD of the same show, to say the least.

Ahhhh, thanks for reminding me of that one! :D

That is another brilliant, "in your face" aud. recording. Quite a bit better than the SBD of the same show, to say the least.

Yeah this is probably the best aud of 70, IMO the only one that comes close is 9/4/70. It's even better than some 70 soundboards.

When "How The West Was One" was released most traders I know just didn't get it. Cos really " A night at the heartbreak hotel" or " Burn Like A Candle" are far superior versions . These boots represent a killer audience recording of the show. All the plantations and the feel of the show - the woops, firecrakers etc were edited out of the official release to give a clean, dull finish. And of course it wasn't the full show.

If there is a reason to compare a SBD v Audience then this is it.

There are plenty of great Zepp shows with awful recording and some poor Zepp shows in great recording

A good example would be say Bath Festival 1970 brilliant show, right up there in the top 10 poor sound and The Destroyer in 1977 great sound poor performance

But for those who wish to to go back a year may i suggest " Best For Hard & Heavy" Leicester 25/11/1971. A superb sounding audience recording of a band at the top of their game or possibly some of the Australian/New Zealand tour the year later.

• 2 weeks later...

The Long Beach tape is not a soundboard tape. It's a (damn near perfect) 2 track mixdown from the multitracks. What's annoying is that the entire show probably exists in that quality and the world just got a taste of it. Since we got HTWWW, it kind of eases the pain a bit! :lol:

It is interesting that we have nothing from the board from 1972 though. If any surfaced, I'd expect them to sound similar to the 1971 or 1973 board tapes. Do not expect Long Beach quality, like I said, it's not from the board.

The Long Beach tape is not a soundboard tape. It's a (damn near perfect) 2 track mixdown from the multitracks. What's annoying is that the entire show probably exists in that quality and the world just got a taste of it. Since we got HTWWW, it kind of eases the pain a bit! :lol:

It is interesting that we have nothing from the board from 1972 though. If any surfaced, I'd expect them to sound similar to the 1971 or 1973 board tapes. Do not expect Long Beach quality, like I said, it's not from the board.

What exactly is a mixdown?

B)

What exactly is a mixdown?

The product of the reblending of all the instruments from the mulititude of microphones and direct imputs into the multitrack tapes. There were several mics on the drums and each instrument had at least one microphone or direct imput into the mixing console for the layered tapes. You can boost any one of these tracks, add tonal improvements or effects or completely 'mix out' individual tracks too.

The raw multitrack tapes are the building stone for what you here in, for instance How the West Was Won. You could go back to the original tapes and make that show sound completely different by remixing the tracks.

Imagine each instrument having it's own recorder then blending these back onto one tape. The multitrack recorder does this on one FAT 2 inch tape. Back then it was generally 16 tracks for the recordings and would be mixed to 2 track (Stereo) for the master tapes. Those were generally 1/4 inch size.

• 1 month later...

Yeah no shit. I used to collect EVERY Who and Zeppelin show available..but now that I'm older I only hold on to the SBDs or the excellent AUDs (some AUDs are great, very atmospheric and warm) but my days of listening to shit quality are through!

Archived