What did Zep do in 1969?

Chris92

Hello, i am doing a project in school that i have to create my own news broadcast that does a look back at the year 1969 with my group. I have been put to the job to get the music info of that year and I had the choice of Hendrix or Zeppelin (chose Zep). Problem is I don't know if Zeppelin did anything in that year that would be big music wise, which is why I am asking you guys for help!

Did Led Zeppelin do anything in the year of 1969 that is news worthy? One example would be like record sales.(note cant be much longer then 15-30 seconds worth of info, on top of that if you are wondering I am 16 yrs old and a 11th grade student, and this is a huge project with great reward of 90% of my grade for the marking period and which ever news broadcast is the best gets to go out to Harrisburg and have lunch & present the broadcast with the governor)

If you guys could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, i am doing a project in school that i have to create my own news broadcast that does a look back at the year 1969 with my group. I have been put to the job to get the music info of that year and I had the choice of Hendrix or Zeppelin (chose Zep). Problem is I don't know if Zeppelin did anything in that year that would be big music wise, which is why I am asking you guys for help!

Did Led Zeppelin do anything in the year of 1969 that is news worthy? One example would be like record sales.(note cant be much longer then 15-30 seconds worth of info, on top of that if you are wondering I am 16 yrs old and a 11th grade student, and this is a huge project with great reward of 90% of my grade for the marking period and which ever news broadcast is the best gets to go out to Harrisburg and have lunch & present the broadcast with the governor)

If you guys could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!! :)

they released and recorded led zep II and it sold 12,000,000 copy's in october '69 and their first album released 10,000,000 copy's in january '69. Played a concert on the 1/10/1969. It wasn't that big. :mellow:

For the year 1969, they had the 2nd and 3rd biggest selling album for the year,not bad for a rookie band:

1)Abbey Road

2)Led Zeppelin 11

3)Led Zeppelin I

They were simply the most energetic new band out there as they were playing 2:30 shows on 40+ minutes of material, and even played 4:30 in Boston Massachusetts. Their debut album sold 8,000,000 and their next one also released in 69 sold 12,000,000. There combination of musical styles was and still is unheard of as there first album included blues, heavy metal, folk, middle easternesque folk, light rock rock, pshycadelic, and even jazz. Robert Plant's wailing lead vocals was also unheard of (in that way).

They were simply the most energetic new band out there as they were playing 2:30 shows on 40+ minutes of material, and even played 4:30 in Boston Massachusetts. Their debut album sold 8,000,000 and their next one also released in 69 sold 12,000,000. There combination of musical styles was and still is unheard of as there first album included blues, heavy metal, folk, middle easternesque folk, light rock rock, pshycadelic, and even jazz. Robert Plant's wailing lead vocals was also unheard of (in that way).

Those are just US sales by the way

AND THEY DID IT WITHOUT ALMOST ANY HYPE OR PROMOTION!!

No favorable reviews from the American music magazines (ahem, Rolling Stone...), no performing on talk shows, or variety shows, no "Win a date with Robert Plant!!" contests in the Tiger Beat teenage girl magazines, no considerable AM radio play (back then you pretty much had to have a hit on AM radio to have success -- it's difficult to grasp that fact in today's world -- maybe like saying having a hit despite no video on MTV?? nah, those days are over, too). No interviews in major magazines (they did one for LIFE magazine, kinda like a little more serious version of People or Us Weekly magazine with artistic photography. That interview was a disaster as on the last day of the interview someone with the band allegedly felt up the female reporter). They were as "underground" as a major seller of albums could be back in the day.

THEY TOURED THE U.S. THE MOST OF ANY NON-AMERICAN BAND, WITH FOUR MAJOR TOURS OF THE STATES.

AND THEY DID IT WITHOUT ALMOST ANY HYPE OR PROMOTION!!

No favorable reviews from the American music magazines (ahem, Rolling Stone...), no performing on talk shows, or variety shows, no "Win a date with Robert Plant!!" contests in the Tiger Beat teenage girl magazines, no considerable AM radio play (back then you pretty much had to have a hit on AM radio to have success -- it's difficult to grasp that fact in today's world -- maybe like saying having a hit despite no video on MTV?? nah, those days are over, too). No interviews in major magazines (they did one for LIFE magazine, kinda like a little more serious version of People or Us Weekly magazine with artistic photography. That interview was a disaster as on the last day of the interview someone with the band allegedly felt up the female reporter). They were as "underground" as a major seller of albums could be back in the day.

THEY TOURED THE U.S. THE MOST OF ANY NON-AMERICAN BAND, WITH FOUR MAJOR TOURS OF THE STATES.

Hmmm.., that's fairly impressive.

Oh yeah, they played within sight and walking distance of my house in '69. No parking hassles !!! :lol:

Archived