DO U KNOW HAWK WIND

tsaeb eht

Here. I really like Hawkwind. Great band. As a big progressive rock and space rock fan, I must say that this band is amazing. In my opinion, Pink Floyd and Hawkwind were the best progressive rock bands of their time and still are. Of course Pink Floyd had started playing before Hawkwind, but I've always thought of Hawkwind as a hard rock version of Pink Floyd. My favorite albums are Hawkwind, In Search Of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido, Hall Of The Mountain Grill, and Space Ritual.

^ A good excuse to post 2 Pink Floyd covers. :)

The first is Cymbaline from 1970

The second, Interstella Overdrive. Many years and lineups later, this was recorded for a CD that came with the Pink Floyd Encyclopedia in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8ujEhHDQY

And Long Gone, a Syd Barrett song. Recorded in 2010 for a Syd Barrett tribute CD that came with an issue of MOJO Magazine.

^ A good excuse to post 2 Pink Floyd covers. :)

The first is Cymbaline from 1970

The second, Interstella Overdrive. Many years and lineups later, this was recorded for a CD that came with the Pink Floyd Encyclopedia in 1998.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM8ujEhHDQY

And Long Gone, a Syd Barrett song. Recorded in 2010 for a Syd Barrett tribute CD that came with an issue of MOJO Magazine.

"Interstella" is owned man, what a great cover:) liked the original but this is so Hawkwind :

"Interstella" is owned man, what a great cover:) liked the original but this is so Hawkwind :

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the original, but I love what they did with it.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hawkwind: saw them in 1976 and they were great, then in 78 and they were OK then as Hawklords and we left half way through for guiness in the pub

Saw them 9 times between 2001 and 2012. Always great. Ordered tickets for January 2013.

I like some of their stuff. But what I find funny is that Lemmy used to be in the band and was kicked out because of drugs and the rest of the band I believe were bigger druggies than him. So he made his own great group- Motorhead which is slang for speed freak. :lol:

Lemmy used to be in the band and was kicked out because of drugs

That's Lemmy's version that he tells anyone who'll ask. I've seen interviews with other Hawkwind members and they say the real reason Lemmy was was kicked out was because he'd become unreliable due to all the speed he was taking. He'd be awake for a week then asleep for week. On the weeks he was asleep he'd miss gigs.

I just found this interview with Dave Brock;

Nik Turner who was our saxophonist, called a band meeting and said 'Look, we've got to sort this out. Lemmy's always late for planes, always staying up late and taking his speed, all this sort of thing. We've got to make a big decision here, I think we should get rid of him.' So we all had our vote, and - how many were in the band, six I think - it was about four to two, so that was it.

Had only heard of them before through Motörhead ('cause Lemmy was in the band and all). Hadn't listened yet because I didn't know where to begin.

Only really found them through Rock Band, though. I had downloaded their song, "Master of the Universe", to play in the game... And it blew me away.

The song has this whole stoner vibe to it, and I'm a fan of stoner rock, so it was a perfect match.

Now I'm looking for it more actively. I'll scope out their album, Space Ritual, which was in that "1001 Albums" book (call me a dork, but some of my musical formation comes from seeking out artists from music history works, and I filter from there).

Had only heard of them before through Motörhead ('cause Lemmy was in the band and all). Hadn't listened yet because I didn't know where to begin.

Only really found them through Rock Band, though. I had downloaded their song, "Master of the Universe", to play in the game... And it blew me away.

The song has this whole stoner vibe to it, and I'm a fan of stoner rock, so it was a perfect match.

Now I'm looking for it more actively. I'll scope out their album, Space Ritual, which was in that "1001 Albums" book (call me a dork, but some of my musical formation comes from seeking out artists from music history works, and I filter from there).

Can't go wrong with The Space Ritual. As good as a live album as you'll get. Try listening to it in a dark room. In fact for me anything pre 1976 is a good bet. Ady will tell you more on post 76. I gave up on them towards the end of the 70's when they reached rock bottom with "Hawklords" You tube will have the BBC4 Documentary on the band which is really good - especially Stacia!!

"We were born to go - as far as we can fly"

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived