In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

— Lt.-Col. John McCrae

It was sung by a choir today in Vancouver. First time I've heard it done that way here.

They did a very nice job

Thank you to all the veterans. God bless you and your families.

My grandfather served in WWI but luckily came home alive and well and lived to an old age.

I just saw from a distance what appeared to be a beautiful Veterans Day event. I'm on the 53rd floor of a 56 floor high rise, and a couple of hours ago heard a tremendous roar overhead. I looked out my window just in time to see three military jets flying in formation, right over my building. A short time later I heard them again and ran to the window, panicked, thinking something must be wrong. (I knew it was Veterans Day but for some reason my brain didn't make the connection.) Then I heard marching band music (albeit faint at such a distance) and looked over toward City Hall, where I could see a big crowd, flags, military uniforms, etc. Wish I could have been down there in the crowd, looking at the faces of the veterans.

War is wretched beyond description, and only a fool or a fraud could sentimentalize its cruel reality.

~ Senator John McCain

My grandfather was the youngest fighter pilot in the Army Air Corp (from Texas) and was the only one to return home from his squadron (in England). He served with honor and pride in World War II. A hardcore conservative to his final breath, he detested the stupidity of human beings that allowed tensions to fester into war.

Our thanks and our prayers to all of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend our liberty and freedom. " Lest we forget "

How's it going "ally" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Thank you "ally" for starting this thread. A happy VETERANS DAY to all of you! I am a VET myself and have the day off today being a Federal Employee. I also hope that all of you will join me in honoring my father who is also a Veteran who served in The Korean War at the Frozen Chosen Resevoir with the Marine Corps in December 1950. I would also like to honor any Veteran who has ever served in the military in any of our nation's past wars especially the ones that are in Iraq and Afghanistan as we speak. It breaks my heart everytime I read when someone dies in the line of duty. May God protect all of you. ROCK ON!

I always thought Mr. Vonnegut had some great points about war, probably my favourite WW2 Veteran.

I will come to a time in my backwards trip when November eleventh, accidentally my birthday, was a sacred day called Armistice Day. When I was a boy, and when Dwayne Hoover was a boy, all the people of all the nations which had fought in the First World War were silent during the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of Armistice Day, which was the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

It was during that minute in nineteen hundred and eighteen, that millions upon millions of human beings stopped butchering one another. I have talked to old men who were on battlefields during that minute. They have told me in one way or another that the sudden silence was the Voice of God. So we still have among us some men who can remember when God spoke clearly to mankind.

Armistice Day has become Veterans' Day. Armistice Day was sacred. Veterans' Day is not.

So I will throw Veterans' Day over my shoulder. Armistice Day I will keep. I don't want to throw away any sacred things.

JAMES JOSEPH ******

PFC - E3 - Army - Selective Service

1st Cav Division (AMBL)

Length of service 0 years

His tour began on Dec 10, 1966

Casualty was on Jan 20, 1967

In BINH DINH, SOUTH VIETNAM

Hostile, died of wounds, GROUND CASUALTY

OTHER EXPLOSIVE DEVICE

Body was recovered

Panel 14E - Line 58

Now you know where my middle name really comes from.

:beer:

How's it going "ally" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Thank you "ally" for starting this thread. A happy VETERANS DAY to all of you! I am a VET myself and have the day off today being a Federal Employee. I also hope that all of you will join me in honoring my father who is also a Veteran who served in The Korean War at the Frozen Chosen Resevoir with the Marine Corps in December 1950. I would also like to honor any Veteran who has ever served in the military in any of our nation's past wars especially the ones that are in Iraq and Afghanistan as we speak. It breaks my heart everytime I read when someone dies in the line of duty. May God protect all of you. ROCK ON!

It's going well my friend. I hope everything is well with you. The Frozen Chosen Resevoir is a battle that has been forgotten by too many. Could have been the start of WWIII. That battle will be in Marine folklore, forever.

I was just telling a friend about, how many Canadians have volunteered for active duty in the American armed forces. It goes in line with all the Americans that joined the Canadian armed forces in WWI and WWII before the United States became officially involved. Seems we have a common bond when it comes to liberty and freedom

JAMES JOSEPH ******

1st Cav Division (AMBL)

OTHER EXPLOSIVE DEVICE

Body was recovered

Panel 14E - Line 58

My respect 59

Let me just say that my hat goes off to everyone that has posted on this thread and to those who have not had a chance to or choose not to. Like many, my family was involved in the last major conflict. Sixty three years later, that conflict is still at the back of our minds when new conflicts erupt. We were , the next generation and we were taught, the horrors. The first half of the 20th century saw two generations of children taken away from family, friends, and yes, history. This day is not a celebration or a political statement. It's about humanity. It's about humanity being in control of it's own destiny. We owe everyone of those human beings that survived and paid the ultimate price a life long debt of gratitude. The ball is in our court people. It's up to us as to how we return the serve

Thank you for starting this thread, Ally.

To all of those who served during my time and before my time and to those who will serve after my time: Thank you.

To all of those who didn’t return: Requiescant in pace.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/11/10/...xprod=permalink

I never thought of it back then but, as I’ve grown older and have contributed to foundations that assist veterans, I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt when I think about the way I behaved in the ‘70s while young guys, not much older than me, were fighting and dying in Vietnam.

JAMES JOSEPH ******

1st Cav Division (AMBL)

OTHER EXPLOSIVE DEVICE

Body was recovered

Panel 14E - Line 58

To all those that made the ultimate sacrafice and to my Great Grandfather who died in WW1 There is a VFW in his New Jersey home town named in his honour.

PVT John Henry ******

78th DIV 310th INF 10/26/1918 Muese, France

US_FlagAnimated.gif

Thank you for starting this thread, Ally.

To all of those who served during my time and before my time and to those who will serve after my time: Thank you.

To all of those who didn't return: Requiescant in pace.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/11/10/...xprod=permalink

I never thought of it back then but, as I've grown older and have contributed to foundations that assist veterans, I sometimes feel a twinge of guilt when I think about the way I behaved in the '70s while young guys, not much older than me, were fighting and dying in Vietnam.

They were strange times to say the least Mad. I don't think any of us at the time fully understood the scope of things. I think we thought it was all too sureal and not something we had to worry about. Not totally sure if that is an accurate account but, it's the best I can come up with at the moment. We were a little behind the times

All day, I was trying to think of drafting words to describe how much I venerate each veteran, but I really can't describe this overwhelming gratitude.

It's very hard to put into words. A smile is usually enough :)

Archived