Rememberance Day / Veterans Day

ally

My father served in the Navy for nearly 30 years. He had several commands, one of which took him to Vietnam over the course of 2 years. His battalion built all the the US's installations in the Chu Lai - DaNang area in 1964-1966. Fortunately his battalion wasn't attacked while he was actually there, but were when he was in Okinawa on official US Navy business. A member of his battalion was killed while he was away and was awarded the Medal of Honor, the ONLY Seabee ever to have this bestowed upon him.

RIP Dad. I wish we could have grown older together and been able to better understand each other with time. Thanks for serving and please understand my rebellion as a youth. I think about you everyday.

He's alone at the very front in this picture taken in DaNang in 1964. He was the Commanding Officer.

group.jpg

MCB-11, Best of type/Battle Efficiency award 1965

My father served in the Navy for nearly 30 years. He had several commands, one of which took him to Vietnam over the course of 2 years. His battalion built all the the US's installations in the Chu Lai - DaNang area in 1964-1966. Fortunately his battalion wasn't attacked while he was actually there, but were when he was in Okinawa on official US Navy business. A member of his battalion was killed while he was away and was awarded the Medal of Honor, the ONLY Seabee ever to have this bestowed upon him.

RIP Dad. I wish we could have grown older together and been able to better understand each other with time. Thanks for serving and please understand my rebellion as a youth. I think about you everyday.

He's alone at the very front in this picture taken in DaNang in 1964. He was the Commanding Officer.

group.jpg

MCB-11, Best of type/Battle Efficiency award 1965

He understands Epic Forrest. Good people do

My father was fortunate to escape Vietnam; he was classified 1-A, so anything short of the Vietcong on our shores wasn't going to get him to see action. My uncle however, was not so lucky. He came home, but was psychologically scarred for life because of it. Both my grandfathers were in the Army during WWII, and my paternal grandmother's uncle was in the Navy during WWII as well. "Uncle Randolph" as I've only ever known him; his picture is on the fireplace mantle in our home.

I don't know if I had family serve in any of the earlier conflicts, although I'm sure I did.

I'm fortunate I'm a female and not required to sign up, because the men in my family have a hell of a lot more nerve than I'll ever have. Same goes for everyone who has served, both alive and dead.

My father was fortunate to escape Vietnam; he was classified 1-A, so anything short of the Vietcong on our shores wasn't going to get him to see action. My uncle however, was not so lucky. He came home, but was psychologically scarred for life because of it. Both my grandfathers were in the Army during WWII, and my paternal grandmother's uncle was in the Navy during WWII as well. "Uncle Randolph" as I've only ever known him; his picture is on the fireplace mantle in our home.

I don't know if I had family serve in any of the earlier conflicts, although I'm sure I did.

I'm fortunate I'm a female and not required to sign up, because the men in my family have a hell of a lot more nerve than I'll ever have. Same goes for everyone who has served, both alive and dead.

The legacy goes from generation to generation. So many of us have been touched but so few of us have been there. I know personally that we have a few amoungst us that continue to serve. My hat is off to all of them and I hope that they don't have to leave home again

Thanks for the positive vibes Ally. I can only hope there'll be a meeting of the spirits.

Funny you spelled Forest with 2 R's. I have an ancestor who spelled it that way too. :whistling:

N.B...........

Your welcome for the vibe and I'm sure at some much later point, you'll have that meeting of spirits. As for the two rr's...just sloppy typing. I am bad :D

I'm vet. I remember everyday.

Thanks to all the courageous people who has been placing their lives in jeopardy for us common folk during this current war and all those from the past. I feel especially grateful to the youngest, like my friend DRUNK, who are so brave to join the service in such frightening times. Also, i hope my friend Rod Brown is doing well (a marine).

My father was in the Air Force way back when (i'm gonna say it was 50 years ago!). He didn't see a war, but still i'm proud he served his country.

and Happy Birthday to my daughter who was born on this day (but won't be joining the service if i can help it, :) )

The service at the Cenotaph yesterday was extremely moving, especially the presence of the last 3 British surviving servicemen from WW1.

From MOD website

The three last surviving British veterans from World War I were among political leaders, Service personnel, veterans and members of the public commemorating the 90th Anniversary of the end of World War I, today, Tuesday 11 November 2008.On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, 1918, the guns of the western front fell silent. Six hours earlier the Armistice Treaty had been signed by the Allies and Germany in a railway carriage in a forest in France.

Today, French President Nicolas Sarkozy was joined by Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall in Verdun, North East France, to attend the Armistice Day ceremony where tributes were paid to all those who died, as well as those who lost fathers and sons during the war.

In Whitehall, London, thousands of people lined the streets to pay their respects to those who died during the Great War and to look on as the three last surviving British veterans from WWI laid wreaths in memory of their fellow servicemen at the Cenotaph.

Henry Allingham, Harry Patch and Bill Stone, who served during World War I, received a standing ovation as they made their way past the crowds to pay their respects to the one million British and Commonwealth troops who died during the four years of conflict. A two minute silence was held at 1100 hrs.

Speaking at the service, Mr Patch said:

"I am very happy to be here today. It is not just an honour for me, but for an entire generation. It is important to remember the dead from both sides of the conflict. Irrespective of the uniforms we wore, we were all victims."

Assisting the veterans in laying the wreaths were three decorated members of today's Armed Forces, Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry Victoria Cross, Marine Mkhuseli Jones Military Cross, and Flight Lieutenant Michelle Goodman, Distinguished Flying Cross.

Also in attendance were Prime Minister Gordon Brown and Defence Ministers, including Secretary of State for Defence Rt Hon John Hutton MP, Minister for International Defence and Security Rt Hon Baroness Ann Taylor, and Under Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Defence Equipment and Support Quentin Davies MP.

Secretary of State for Defence John Hutton said:

"The First World War devastated a generation of men and women and left an indelible mark on the Twentieth Century. Today, as we commemorate the 90th Anniversary of the Armistice, the actual events of the First World War will have long since faded from common memory. However, it is important for us to remember the sacrifices that were made by that brave generation and try to repay the debt of gratitude that we all owe to them."

Another ceremony was held at the National Memorial Arboretum, Staffordshire, where there was also a two-minute silence, as well as a Royal Air Force flypast. The memorial at this ceremony was designed so that at exactly 1100 hrs, a shaft of sunlight would pass through it to illuminate a wreath on the central plinth.

Vets.JPG

The three surviving veterans from WWI (in wheelchairs), L-R: Henry Allingham, assisted by Flight Lieutenant Michelle Goodman DFC [Distinguished Flying Cross](on Henry's left), Harry Patch, assisted by Lance Corporal Johnson Beharry VC [Victoria Cross](on Harry's right), and Bill Stone, assisted by Marine Mkhuseli Jones MC [Military Cross] (on Bill's right)

I was named after Pvt. Victor Campbell-South Carolina

Co.B 143rd Reg. 36th Division

KIA Italy 1943.

My fathers best friend who served with him in North Africa and the Italian Campaign. WWII.

and this was the day your absolutely amazing daughter was born four years ago.

Archived