LED ZEPPELIN And METALLICA Rumored For BONNAROO 2008

LED ZEPPELIN And METALLICA Rumored For BONNAROO 2008 - Dec. 1, 2007

Scott Goldberg of the Digital Media Wire reports that an anonymous reader tipped Bob Lefsetz, author of The Lefsetz Letter, yesterday about an interesting development in the live music world: "ZEPPELIN just confirmed for Bonnaroo. They can't officially announce until after the London gig so pass it on! Also METALLICA is confirmed on the bill too!"

Goldberg adds: "Anyone who has experienced the unique event that is Bonnaroo (or its younger sibling Vegoose) knows the four-day Manchester, Tennessee show's trademark is its eclectic mix of bands. Considered 'the largest hippy festival in the world,' as Andrew Stockdale, lead singer of WOLFMOTHER said onstage last June, the festival organizers always manage to add plenty of non-hippy artists. In 2007 there was also the addition of a 'classic' billing, the re-emergence of THE POLICE."

No doubt history has taught us anything is possible. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think additional shows will take place if the O2 show is a success. If they are considering it, and we don't know they are, I'm sure that is "the test".

That would be a show to see!

I'll believe it when I see it though.

Seems odd to pair up LZ with Metallica though doesn't it?

Not too odd. Zeppelin was one of Metallica's biggest influences, so from their standpoint it makes perfect sense. And Metallica has done this kind of thing before, they opened for the Rolling Stones a few years back, and that surely is stranger than them opening up for Zeppelin.

Not too odd. Zeppelin was one of Metallica's biggest influences, so from their standpoint it makes perfect sense. And Metallica has done this kind of thing before, they opened for the Rolling Stones a few years back, and that surely is stranger than them opening up for Zeppelin.

doubt they would open for zeppelin. the festival is 3 days lng, with a headiner each night, the main headliner getting the saturday night show. so i'm sure zep would get that. pearl jam is supposedly scheduled to headline one night, and metallica would get the other.

of course, i'm not sure i believe the rumor at all. metallica and bonarroo just makes no sense to me.

doubt they would open for zeppelin. the festival is 3 days lng, with a headiner each night, the main headliner getting the saturday night show. so i'm sure zep would get that. pearl jam is supposedly scheduled to headline one night, and metallica would get the other.

of course, i'm not sure i believe the rumor at all. metallica and bonarroo just makes no sense to me.

For Metallica, opening for led zeppelin would be bigger then their own show. They'va had plenty of shows where they were the top card. Page actually went to a metallica concert this year. There would be no metallica w/out led zeppelin. And opening for LZ would give them more exposure then any solo tour they could do. I think its just another silly rumor, but id love for it to come true.

I've always considered Metallica to be the Led Zeppelin of their generation. They had this underground vibe and a huge fan base before they ever showed up on MTV.

I was a teenager in the 80's and -metallica's popularity was like -zeppelin's in regards to sincere listners and word of mouth. You have to remember it was a weird time with mtv and popular music being -the cure, -u2 etc. and in regards to -metallica, the popular stuff was -hair metal. But ofcourse there was -iron maiden and others keeping heavy music going, but metallica was a big sound, great combination of metal, thrash and crunchy riffs/good songs.

metallica are a heavy meatal band, most of their fan base are under 30 yr olds, you think "metallica are a modern version of zeppelin" no way my friend. i normally keep out of discussions of whose the best, etc, but i draw the line here. i think zeppelin had more in common with abba than heavy metal.

zeppelin are a rock and roll band, who played an eclectic and hugely varied range of music,

please do not mention that noise in the same breath as the world's greatest band.

Personally i'd love to see -led zep break the record at the garden but maybe they wouldnt ever want to do that. But i just don't think -bonnaroo is the venue for them, unless they would want to do the festival shows. Its a big festival and it might be too big with -zeppelin playing there these days. just speculation and opinion.

For whatever it is worth John Paul Jones did play this festival this year with Ben Harper and

?uestLove. Metallica sadly are one of the best selling recording groups on Earth. Now I will say that they have some good stuff but they are in NO WAY deserving of the sales that they have. They have tried to branch out and I DO commend them for that put I'm afraid you pretty much know what you are getting with a can of Metallica.

With that said I would also like to point out that I have no idea what Jason Bonham was doing in 1988 or 1989 except that at some point around then he was touring as the drummer for a certain Jimmy Page solo world tour.

ALSO it was not until I think 1990 that Jason Bonham had a group called Bonham and if I recall they did two studio l.p.s.

There seems to be some confusion with that group and the other he started in 1997 called The Jason Bonham Band. They did one live l.p. of a concert doing Zeppelin cover songs and it was great! The only other release that they had was a studio l.p. released in 1998. Both were on a record company that Michael Jackson started in 1997 and I think only lasted until 1999 called MJJ Music. (MJJ are the initials for Jackson's full name Michael Joseph Jackson.)

Report: Led Zep, Metallica For Bonnaroo

Billboard.com

December 03, 2007, 12:25 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Led Zeppelin will play its first U.S. show since July 24, 1977, this June at the Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tenn., according to an email published in industry commentator Bob Lefsetz's newsletter. The report also says Metallica will headline the event.

Speculation about additional shows for Zeppelin, which will play a stated one-off Dec. 10 in London in tribute to late Atlantic founder Ahmet Ertegun, has been buzzing for weeks.

A Bonnaroo spokesperson had no comment on the email. A Led Zeppelin spokesperson could not be reached at deadline.

Summer Zeppelin shows would reportedly conflict with a tour by frontman Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, which is presently being booked. However, Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones has played at Bonnaroo on several occasions, most recently this summer when he jammed on his old band's songs with Ben Harper and the Roots' ?uestlove.

As for Metallica, Bonnaroo would likely provide a launching pad for the group's next album, expected sometime in 2008 via Elektra.

----------------

Billboard reports the same source. Nothing is confirmed, though.

I DO NOT believe this for a nano second.

I hate big muddy horrid conditions that the likes of Bonnaroo are.

Media Hype I say.

Has anyone hear of gotickets.com? I have an email subscription and just now received a concert news flash that Zep will be playing Bonnaroo in June. I still don't know whether to believe it or not, but I'm going to look around and see what I can find.

Let's all pray!!

Has anyone hear of gotickets.com? I have an email subscription and just now received a concert news flash that Zep will be playing Bonnaroo in June. I still don't know whether to believe it or not, but I'm going to look around and see what I can find.

Let's all pray!!

I'm a member of gotickets.com and I just received the same email saying this:

Led Zeppelin has announced that it will play its first US show in over 30 years at the Bonnaroo Festival in Manchester, TN next June. On December 10, the band will reunite for a single concert in London, though speculation continutes to grow that additional shows will be added.

Tickets for the Bonnaroo festival have not gone on sale yet. GoTickets will keep you informed of the latest news on Led Zeppelin tickets.

I'm a member of gotickets.com and I just received the same email saying this:

Led Zeppelin has announced that it will play its first US show in over 30 years at the Bonnaroo Festival in Manchester, TN next June. On December 10, the band will reunite for a single concert in London, though speculation continutes to grow that additional shows will be added.

Tickets for the Bonnaroo festival have not gone on sale yet. GoTickets will keep you informed of the latest news on Led Zeppelin tickets.

My stomach dropped when I read this, and I immediately started calling my partners in crime... I can barely breathe....

The gotickets thing is bullshit. I accidently signed up for it when I was led to believe a Led Zeppelin '08 tour had been announced recently through an unofficial Plant website. Don't believe a thing unless it comes from an official source, not a scummy ass ticket broker.

As for Zeppelin actually playing Bonnaroo, anything can happen but the 02 gig hasn't even happened yet. Until then, I'd say things like this are merely rumor and speculation and should be treated as such. In regards to bands like Zep and Metallica fitting in on the bill, all it takes is one look at how diverse the Bonnaroo rosters have become in recent years to see that neither would be out of place there. In the early years it was almost exclusively artists of the "jamband" variety but they have diversified more and more in recent years to include performers from several different genres of music.

Archived