Robert's early nineties band

zooma

To my knowledge, he's not doing anything these days. Rumor has it that he pissed away all his money on drugs and is living with his mother. I sure hope that rumor is wrong, but that's what I've heard.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME ON THIS! :(

:o Now that's a shock!!

But I just checked on wikipedia and it's said that he also cooperated on the 2006 album Gillan's Inn. So I hope he is not doing that bad.

To my knowledge, he's not doing anything these days. Rumor has it that he pissed away all his money on drugs and is living with his mother. I sure hope that rumor is wrong, but that's what I've heard.

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME ON THIS! :(

Wish I could give you an answer RA but like you, I certainly hope this is wrong :huh:

Roger drummed for Robert on a show 22. June 1983.

That was a live performance recorded at Tyne Tees Television Studio in Newcastle for the 'Midsummer's Night Tube' television program. Robert, dissatisfied with the results, halted it's airing and took possession of the master tapes.

The kiss Robert shared with Phil Collins was done jokingly so for photographers at the Bebop Cafe (a rockabilly club) in New York City on 9/12/83. They were enjoying the

Madison Square Garden after-show party at the time.

You may want to check this great video on Nine Lives. Robert and Phil talk a lot about these days.

:whistling:

Anyway, I really think Phil was great to Robert those days and is still great, generally speaking.

me too

love phil collins style of playing

he is up there in my list of favourite drummers without a doubt

:)

If that's supposed to be a comment on that early nineties band, all I can say is, try actually listening to them. Those were some amazing musicians, who produced some shit-hot albums. But since Zeppelin, Robert has never followed the same path for very long--and that band had a good long run, so obviously he was very happy with the work they did together.

I have listened to them. The only excitment of being dangerous was when Page guested on the albums. So, Jimmy Page once again got Robert Plant back on his career path.

Jimmy played on the Honeydrippers EP and Now and Zen, one track. How is that helping Robert get back on his career path when he was already ON a successful path? I'm not sure I follow what you're point is.

On a successful path? Plant has always said the Zeppelin 3 was the benchmark for his post Zeppelin albums because it was the least successful sales wise album. Plant has always missed that dangerous on the edge guitar work of Page that drives Plant to chase the riff. Successful? OK. Let's see here. Broke up the 1st post Zep band. Toured with Phil Collens on drums. Did another Tour with Ritchie Hayward on drums. Went 50's on the suggestion of Ahment. Formed another band with young guys that idiolized Jimmy Page. Had Page play on a album that conjured up Zeppelin (now and zen). Started playing Led Zeppelin songs in concert when he said that he would never do that. 1985 Live Aid. 1988 Atlantic shlock. 1990 Knebworth. Unledded. Then Page/Plant. Strange Sensation. He needed a lift to his current pairing, so come on Jimmy, lets do a reunion. So, I ask you. Do you not see a pattern? I am not saying that it is a bad thing that Robert Plant leans on Jimmy Page when he needs a creative spark. But don't you think that Robert Plant can do the same back to Jimmy Page?

I have listened to them. The only excitment of being dangerous was when Page guested on the albums. So, Jimmy Page once again got Robert Plant back on his career path.

i think you have maybe got things mixed up a bit

it is robert who has had the greater success since the Zeppelin days with 10+ solo albums released

he is also enjoying possibly the greatest succes of his career at present with the rs album

if i were pressed i would say it's jimmy who is relying on past glories as he hasnt really done anything significant since the band's demise

neither has jpj for that matter

On a successful path? Plant has always said the Zeppelin 3 was the benchmark for his post Zeppelin albums because it was the least successful sales wise album. Plant has always missed that dangerous on the edge guitar work of Page that drives Plant to chase the riff. Successful? OK. Let's see here. Broke up the 1st post Zep band. Toured with Phil Collens on drums. Did another Tour with Ritchie Hayward on drums. Went 50's on the suggestion of Ahment. Formed another band with young guys that idiolized Jimmy Page. Had Page play on a album that conjured up Zeppelin (now and zen). Started playing Led Zeppelin songs in concert when he said that he would never do that. 1985 Live Aid. 1988 Atlantic shlock. 1990 Knebworth. Unledded. Then Page/Plant. Strange Sensation. He needed a lift to his current pairing, so come on Jimmy, lets do a reunion. So, I ask you. Do you not see a pattern? I am not saying that it is a bad thing that Robert Plant leans on Jimmy Page when he needs a creative spark. But don't you think that Robert Plant can do the same back to Jimmy Page?

I still don't see how based on what you said, Jimmy is the creative spark post Zep, sorry. Robert's career path has been one of exploration and moving in different directions rather than doing the same thing. So he changed bands to find people that suited what he was interested in creating. This has nothing do to with Jimmy at all. Actually in a 1988 interview on MTV, some of the Now and Zen guys admitted to NOT being that familiar with Zep so I'm not sure I'd say they instantly idolized him. I'm sure there was a great respect but I wouldn't say Doug Boyle was at all trying to replace or be like Jimmy. He very much has his own style.

Zep is part of his career and his history. He chose to not play those songs early on because he felt he needed to establish himself on his own and when enough time passed, it was suggested they do a few tunes which he did. Again, that isn't leaning on Page. They're his songs too.

I agree with you about Jimmy and past glories.

However, the question goes back to Robert's early nineties band. Why did he break them up? They were stale and Robert was approached to do the Unplugged series. He could not do that show, doing Zeppelin songs without the one that he created that music with. Plant said as much in a interview. So everything else that I have said is conjecture bullshit.

i think you have maybe got things mixed up a bit

it is robert who has had the greater success since the Zeppelin days with 10+ solo albums released

he is also enjoying possibly the greatest succes of his career at present with the rs album

if i were pressed i would say it's jimmy who is relying on past glories as he hasnt really done anything significant since the band's demise

neither has jpj for that matter

I disagree somewhat with the JPJ comment. "Zooma" is an awesome body of work that actually looked ahead, rather than back. "Thunderthief" wasn't quite as good but it has its moments as well. "Hoediddle" is a great example. And listen to JPJ on GUITAR on that one!

However, the question goes back to Robert's early nineties band. Why did he break them up? They were stale and Robert was approached to do the Unplugged series.

Eh? The early nineties band we're talking about here broke up even before the Fate of Nations tour. What had it to do with the Unplugged series?

So what years? Through the 1980s and 1990s, Plant co-wrote three solo albums with keyboardist/songwriter Phil Johnstone. Now and Zen, Manic Nirvana, and Fate of Nations (featuring Máire Brennan of Clannad). It was Johnstone who talked Plant into playing Led Zeppelin songs in his live shows, something Plant had resisted, not wanting to be forever known as "the former Led Zeppelin vocalist." Plant first collaborated with Jimmy Page post-Zeppelin in the studio on the 1988 Page solo effort, Outrider. He later collaborated with Page on the 1998 album, Walking into Clarksdale, which features all original material from the pair. Starting at the close of 1999, Plant performed at several small venues with his folk-rock band, named Priory of Brion.

What band? and who cares? again, conjecture opinion bullshit

So what years? Through the 1980s and 1990s, Plant co-wrote three solo albums with keyboardist/songwriter Phil Johnstone. Now and Zen, Manic Nirvana, and Fate of Nations (featuring Máire Brennan of Clannad). It was Johnstone who talked Plant into playing Led Zeppelin songs in his live shows, something Plant had resisted, not wanting to be forever known as "the former Led Zeppelin vocalist." Plant first collaborated with Jimmy Page post-Zeppelin in the studio on the 1988 Page solo effort, Outrider. He later collaborated with Page on the 1998 album, Walking into Clarksdale, which features all original material from the pair. Starting at the close of 1999, Plant performed at several small venues with his folk-rock band, named Priory of Brion.

Robert collaborated on only one song on Outrider.

Since you have no idea what ppl is talking about here, and apparently you don't care about it, why are you still posting in this thread?

That makes me wonder B)

I agree with you about Jimmy and past glories.

However, the question goes back to Robert's early nineties band. Why did he break them up? They were stale and Robert was approached to do the Unplugged series. He could not do that show, doing Zeppelin songs without the one that he created that music with. Plant said as much in a interview. So everything else that I have said is conjecture bullshit.

Everything we all say on this matter is conjecture, because Robert didn't announce specifically why he was splitting that band. But we can listen to them, and hear that they were a great band quite apart from the rare occasions Jimmy joined them. Robert obviously just came to a point where he wanted to move on and do something new with a different line-up. He always does, eventually. Strange Sensation were a terrific band, but it seems they've been disbanded, too.

The Unledded venture (which was a one-off, not a series) came later.

(Sorry, I seem to have missed a page here, no pun intended, and most of you guys have already made these points. Anyway, I agree with glicine--it makes me wonder, too.)

I disagree somewhat with the JPJ comment. "Zooma" is an awesome body of work that actually looked ahead, rather than back. "Thunderthief" wasn't quite as good but it has its moments as well. "Hoediddle" is a great example. And listen to JPJ on GUITAR on that one!

i love zooma... it's just a shame it will go unnoticed when the history of music is written

a sad fact of life :angry:

i love zooma... it's just a shame it will go unnoticed when the history of music is written

Yeah, I know what you mean. I agree that it will unfortunately never get its proper due. <_<

I personally thought it was a terrific album though.

When the history of music is written, anyone with a brain will not care what is popular and what isn't. We all like what sounds good to our own ears. There has been so much good music made over the years, the challenge is finding the time to hear it all.

Archived