Page rep comments on possible Album & Tour

MrZoSo

Zeppelin Members Seek New Singer

Remaining three plan possible album and tour without Robert Plant

by BRIAN HIATT

From Rolling Stone magazine - Issue 1066 - November 27, 2008

Last year's Led Zeppelin reunion concert wasn't the end for Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham - but it looks like it was for Robert Plant. The three musicians have been holding rehearsals with singers including Aerosmith's Steven Tyler (it didn't go well, one source has heard) and possibly Myles Kennedy, lead singer of Alter Bridge (who has covered Zep songs onstage and has a formidable vocal range). But Page wants to make one thing clear about the new project. "Whatever this is, it is not Led Zeppelin," says a rep for Page's management company, QPrime. "Not without the involvement of Robert Plant."

Plant, who just finished a tour with Alison Krauss, has insisted that he has little interest in an extended Zep reunion: "The whole idea of being on a cavalcade of merciless repetition is not what it's all about," he said just before last year's reunion show. Added Jones last month, "We really want to do something, and Robert doesn't want to do this, at least for the moment. He really doesn't want to make loud music anymore. We do."

Page's rep emphasized that no decisions have been made on a singer, and Kennedy's manager, Paul Geary, declined to comment on a report that he is the front-runner. "Nothing is set," Geary's assistant said. The trio have suggested that the new project - whatever it's called - would both tour and record new music. "It's got to be right," Jones said. "There's no point in just finding another Robert. You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. There would be a record and a tour, but we've got to have everybody on board. . . . What we've done so far sounds absolutely fantastic."

Without Plant or the Led Zeppelin name, the commercial prospects for the project are unclear. One concert-industry source said the tour would do "surprisingly well. I mean, Journey came back bigger than life with a no-name." But Seth Hurwitz, co-owner of Washington, D.C., concert-promotion firm I.M.P., says, "With Robert Plant, it would be as huge as people think, as huge as huge could be. Without him, I don't know."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/242...seek_new_singer

by BRIAN HIATT

Last year's Led Zeppelin reunion concert wasn't the end for Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham - but it looks like it was for Robert Plant. The three musicians have been holding rehearsals with singers including Aerosmith's Steven Tyler (it didn't go well, one source has heard) and possibly Myles Kennedy, lead singer of Alter Bridge (who has covered Zep songs onstage and has a formidable vocal range). But Page wants to make one thing clear about the new project. "Whatever this is, it is not Led Zeppelin," says a rep for Page's management company, QPrime. "Not without the involvement of Robert Plant."

Plant, who just finished a tour with Alison Krauss, has insisted that he has little interest in an extended Zep reunion: "The whole idea of being on a cavalcade of merciless repetition is not what it's all about," he said just before last year's reunion show. Added Jones last month, "We really want to do something, and Robert doesn't want to do this, at least for the moment. He really doesn't want to make loud music anymore. We do."

Page's rep emphasized that no decisions have been made on a singer, and Kennedy's manager, Paul Geary, declined to comment on a report that he is the front-runner. "Nothing is set," Geary's assistant said. The trio have suggested that the new project - whatever it's called - would both tour and record new music. "It's got to be right," Jones said. "There's no point in just finding another Robert. You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band. There would be a record and a tour, but we've got to have everybody on board. . . . What we've done so far sounds absolutely fantastic."

Without Plant or the Led Zeppelin name, the commercial prospects for the project are unclear. One concert-industry source said the tour would do "surprisingly well. I mean, Journey came back bigger than life with a no-name." But Seth Hurwitz, co-owner of Washington, D.C., concert-promotion firm I.M.P., says, "With Robert Plant, it would be as huge as people think, as huge as huge could be. Without him, I don't know."

I was just going to post this. Here is another good link to this story:

http://lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/2008/1...is-not-led.html

I was just going to post this. Here is another good link to this story:

http://lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/2008/1...is-not-led.html

Good stuff guys. Rock on!!!

I have one question for everyone though. How come these "announcements" are never made through the official Led Zeppelin site? Wouldn't one think that any news releases would be made here? -- or is it assumed that since it is not technically Led Zeppelin, then it has no business being posted here? I would think this site would be a useful place to either dispell or confirm rumors related to Led Zeppelin. It seems to be left up to the forum posters to speculate.

Good stuff guys. Rock on!!!

I have one question for everyone though. How come these "announcements" are never made through the official Led Zeppelin site? Wouldn't one think that any news releases would be made here? -- or is it assumed that since it is not technically Led Zeppelin, then it has no business being posted here? I would think this site would be a useful place to either dispell or confirm rumors related to Led Zeppelin. It seems to be left up to the forum posters to speculate.

This very much is Led Zeppelin news. Why it was not announced here would need to be addressed by admin.

by BRIAN HIATT

This is great news that most people should feel good about. It never could be Zep without Plant, but it could still be a fantastic new project by some of the greatest musicians on the planet. All the baggage gets left behind, the mystique of the band is left intact and we get new music, and maybe a chance to catch the act when it rolls through town. Short of Robert changing his mind, I think this is the best news possible.

If Myles Kennedy is the one selected for whatever this turns out to be, and gets a firm commitment from Page and Jones, why on earth would he want to remain a member of Alter Bridge as Mr. Tremonti has suggested. If the Alter Bridge members are close personal friends with each other I could see it a little bit, but otherwise why wouldn't Miles put everything he has into a potential new project with two musical geniuses of the rock era without looking back? If he doesn't think what Page, Jones and Bonham has to offer should warrant his full attention and commitment he should say no to them if a offer is indeed made. All this is pure speculation without ever Myles speaking for himself, however.

My impression from this release from Jimmy's rep is that Jimmy is perhaps re-thinking things over and is not sure which way to go: new singer or wait for Robert.

They have tried out two singers. Steven Tyler was a no, Myles Kennedy still a maybe. Perhaps they are still looking. Maybe Myles doesn't want to do it if they don't call it Led Zeppelin. And Jimmy is clear that he will not call it Led Zeppelin without Robert. I think that it is interesting that none of the three J's appeared on stage with Alter Bridge at their concert in London on Saturday, even though they were supposedly there. Maybe they had agreed earlier to part ways musically with Myles? Who knows?

I am editing to note that I just realized that the source of this info was Rolling Stone Magazine and is not an official statement by Jimmy's representative, as I assumed. I still feel that Jimmy is perhaps unsure as to which way to go and may be re-thinking things over. We just need to be patient and wait and see what happens. We all want to see Jimmy in any capacity and it will be great no matter what he decides to do.

But Seth Hurwitz, co-owner of Washington, D.C., concert-promotion firm I.M.P., says, "With Robert Plant, it would be as huge as people think, as huge as huge could be. Without him, I don't know."

That's interesting. I'm a hop and skip away from Geary St.

I think it sucks lemons that people think that without Robert

that it can't have the same kind of success. What if it does better?

That's interesting. I'm a hop and skip away from Geary St.

I think it sucks lemons that people think that without Robert

that it can't have the same kind of success. What if it does better?

They had to pick a photo of robert looking like a total doofus.

24200161-24200165-slarge.jpg

I get the sense from this that Jimmy never really had a Plan B if Robert decided not to join them, and he just doesn't know what to do. They obviously enjoy playing together and would prefer to do a project as a group than to retreat back to their solo careers, but obviously it's a lot harder to give that kind of project a clear reason to exist without the easy cohesion of simply reforming Led Zeppelin with Jason. The situation is such that any new singer brought in would have to look at it as a de facto one-off project for a multitude of reasons. It might bomb. Robert might come knocking. Jimmy might have more health problems. So if you are A-list talent you surely have something good going already that you'd have to put aside for this. So their talent pool may be smaller than it seems.

I get the sense from this that Jimmy never really had a Plan B if Robert decided not to join them, and he just doesn't know what to do.

Bingo. He was thinking there could be a further evolution of Led Zeppelin.

In the Page/Plant era, he often alluded to presenting Led Zeppelin's music as the "same picture in a different frame". Now he (as well as JPJ) is faced with having a new picture but no frame.

In the Page/Plant era, he often alluded to presenting Led Zeppelin's music as the "same picture in a different frame". Now he (as well as JPJ) is faced with having a new picture but no frame.

That provides room to grow.

by BRIAN HIATT

That word "possibly" makes it sound to me like they aren't even sure if Kennedy rehearsed; the only definite was that Tyler did & it didn't go well. So who are the other singers (their plural)?? In other words, nothing new is announced/reported in this article.

Granted Plant doesn't want a 'cavalcade of useless repetition' but do any of you think that if he heard new material, he MAY change his mind. I know that he has no interest, but it seems that he would want something fresh to play around with. Are Page and Jones sending him some demos to peak his interest or have they given up?

Granted Plant doesn't want a 'cavalcade of useless repetition' but do any of you think that if he heard new material, he MAY change his mind. I know that he has no interest, but it seems that he would want something fresh to play around with. Are Page and Jones sending him some demos to peak his interest or have they given up?

The thing made me wonder is, why haven't Page and Jones sent him some demos? Or he has heard it but still is not interested.

The thing made me wonder is, why haven't Page and Jones sent him some demos? Or he has heard it but still is not interested.

Jones said that Plant doesn't want to make "loud music" anymore, but he and Page do. That suggested to me that perhaps Plant has heard what they're working on but can't picture himself singing on it...

So....are we to assume Page was confident that a new chapter to Led Zeppelin was about to commence with Plant on vocals/lyrics?

Then*poof*,Plant backstroked on this notion?

Archived