FULL MOON

The Rover

......nowhere. If you say "I'm going with so-and-so" after you post their opinion, that means you agree with them. Why would I be going anywhere with him; I don't even know the man. :huh:

I know what you meant, but when I read your post that response came to mind. Smart ass as it sounds, I was trying to be a little humorous to your disinterest in the topic. I brought the news and the thread forward because others may find this sort of thing of interest.

I had a few clouds hanging about so I couldn't see the moon coming up on the horizon where the effect of the atmosphere would have made the moon look larger. Once the moon was fully up I really couldn't tell if it was any bigger looking but it was definately much brighter. Always a wonderous sight to view the full moon.

Of all the times it had to rain here in Los Angeles, Mother Nature chose last night to send clouds and rain our way, negating any chance for us Angelenos to see the closest moon in 18 years.

We saw it best the night-before-last-night when the sky was clear, should have taken a photo, but anyway if you haven't seen it here's an idea of what it's like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWRKl06XEY&fmt=18

Edited by sweetredwine

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so I dragged this old one up.

For members in Britain, there will be a total lunar eclipse tonight starting around 9.00pm, although we won't be able to see very much until it gets really dark. There's meant to be virtually no cloud cover so the viewing conditions should be good. :) Although it's rather over-cast right now!

I'm hoping to get some photos on my camera.

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

For members in Britain, there will be a total lunar eclipse tonight starting around 9.00pm, although we won't be able to see very much until it gets really dark. There's virtually no cloud cover so the viewing conditions are good. :)

Thanks for the info 'Magic'

The eclipse is almost over -- it hit totality about an hour and a half ago or so. London is 5 hours ahead of my time zone, so it's already after 10 o'clock there. The moon was in fact, quite red. Which is normal. If it were black, that would mean there's a shit-ton of pollutants and such in the air.

For members in Britain, there will be a total lunar eclipse tonight starting around 9.00pm, although we won't be able to see very much until it gets really dark. There's meant to be virtually no cloud cover so the viewing conditions should be good. :) Although it's rather over-cast right now!

I'm hoping to get some photos on my camera.

Saw that from near ROme....stunning :):):)!!!!

• 10 months later...

Look! Up in the sky! It's Supermoon! Due Saturday

http://apnews.myway..../D9UI0L881.html

May 4, 2012

NEW YORK (AP) - The biggest and brightest full moon of the year arrives Saturday night as our celestial neighbor passes closer to Earth than usual.

But don't expect any "must-have-been-a-full-moon" spike in crime or crazy behavior. That's just folklore.

Saturday's event is a "supermoon," the closest and therefore the biggest and brightest full moon of the year. At 11:34 p.m., the moon will be about 221,802 miles from Earth. That's about 15,300 miles closer than average.

That proximity will make the moon appear about 14 percent bigger than it would if the moon were at its farthest distance, said Geoff Chester of the U.S. Naval Observatory. The difference in appearance is so small that "you'd be very hard-pressed to detect that with the unaided eye," he said.

The moon's distance from Earth varies because it follows an elliptical orbit rather than a circular one.

Like any full moon, the supermoon will look bigger when it's on or near the horizon rather than higher in the sky, thanks to an optical illusion, Chester noted. The full moon appears on the horizon at sunset. On the East coast, for example, that will be a bit before 8 p.m. Saturday.

The supermoon will bring unusually high tides because of its closeness and its alignment with the sun and Earth, but the effect will be modest, Chester said.

The last supermoon, on March 19, 2011, was about 240 miles closer than this year's will be. Next year's will be a bit farther away than this year's.

But no matter how far away a full moon is, it's not going to make people kill themselves or others, commit other crimes, get admitted to a psychiatric hospital or do anything else that popular belief suggests, a psychologist says.

Studies that have tried to document such connections have found "pretty much a big mound of nothing, as far as I can tell," said Scott Lilienfeld of Emory University.

Lilienfeld, an author of "50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology," said the notion of full moons causing bizarre behavior ranks among the top 10 myths because "it's so widely held and it's held with such conviction."

Why do people cling to the idea?

Lilienfeld said a key reason could be the way people pay attention to things. If something unusual happens to occur during a full moon, people who believe the myth take note and remember, even telling other people because it confirms their ideas. But when another full moon appears and nothing out of the ordinary occurs, "they're not very likely to remember" or point it out to others.

So in the end, he said, all they remember are the coincidences.

Edited by The Rover

Hope to get a few shots of it tonight. Last time didn't work out so well, just a big blurr. Need to set my camera up correctly to take the shot. Raining right now but expected to be partly cloudy over night.