What instrument do you play?

Matt Harris

I have played drums for about 33 years. I have been in bands and also played at my church. I don't have any of my pics scanned from when I was playing in my bands. All those pics (in storage) are with me on my regular kit which is a late '70's Slingerland kit with Zildjian cymbals and a 1968 Ludwig snare. I have posted a pic of a drum set that looks just like mine- the color is called 'Black Pearl'

drums-1.jpg

All the other pics I am posting here are of me playing at my church. It is a Roland electric kit which I prefer acoustic drums but anyway I also have my roto-toms with me and a couple of my zildjian cymbals.

Actually have a lot of fun playing at church- we play some heavy stuff and also it was cool, one time we did U2's 'I still haven't found what I am looking for' at one of our services. I play 2 services and we have state of the art mixing board with hanging JBL speakers. The Church holds around 2100 people-so right the same amount Zep played to in Copenhagen at the warm up shows for Knebworth 1979.

drums2.jpg

drums.jpg

drums3.jpg

drums5.jpg

I have played drums for about 33 years. I have been in bands and also played at my church. I don't have any of my pics scanned from when I was playing in my bands. All those pics (in storage) are with me on my regular kit which is a late '70's Slingerland kit with Zildjian cymbals and a 1968 Ludwig snare. I have posted a pic of a drum set that looks just like mine- the color is called 'Black Pearl'

All the other pics I am posting here are of me playing at my church. It is a Roland electric kit which I prefer acoustic drums but anyway I also have my roto-toms with me and a couple of my zildjian cymbals.

Actually have a lot of fun playing at church- we play some heavy stuff and also it was cool, one time we did U2's 'I still haven't found what I am looking for' at one of our services. I play 2 services and we have state of the art mixing board with hanging JBL speakers. The Church holds around 2100 people-so right the same amount Zep played to in Copenhagen at the warm up shows for Knebworth 1979.

AWESOME David! Play TIME by Pink Floyd! hehehe

My first set was an old beat up set of Slingerlands from the 60's. Then I bought a cool Ludwig kit and played them for years before I got my Tama set. I have a mishmash array of brass/ Zildjian and Paiste

1004679.jpg?t=1298947251

15770abc.jpg?t=1298946800

AWESOME David! Play TIME by Pink Floyd! hehehe

My first set was an old beat up set of Slingerlands from the 60's. Then I bought a cool Ludwig kit and played them for years before I got my Tama set. I have a mishmash array of brass/ Zildjian and Paiste

I think that is very cool to mix up the different brands. The reason I like Zildjian is they are hand made but Paiste or machine pressed-but they are still good cymbals - just a matter of what you like.

Yes I don't always use the roto-toms but they are good for stuff like Time- Pink Floyd and one of my bands we used to do Rush-Overture: Temples of the Syrinx and they worked really well on there. Also all my toms are concert toms (no bottom heads)

• 1 month later...

I'm still plucking away at the classical guitar. Here's a short study I posted on You Tube by Schumann.

My nephew added the effects (tap delay?) and he's had more guitars than camels have fleas. :D

• 1 month later...

I've tried to learn how to play the guitar... but my fingers are no good to play it!!! slapface.gif

So, I've started to learn how to play the harmonica biggrin.gif I don't know much, by now, cause I don't have much time to practice... I already knew how to play Love me Do (The Beatles), but I forgot slapface.gif

I really hope to play as good as Robert one day angel.gif

I started with piano in home when I was child, but I left it... I still have the Yamaha keyboard that my parents give me as 8th birthday present, sometimes I use it to experiment and add some instruments to my songs.

In fact I play electric guitar, spanish guitar and drums. I have one spanish guitar and a electric (an "Admira Artista" for the first one and a "Epiphone Les Paul 100" for the second one), I wanna buy an acoustic Ovation. I also have a Roland TD-4K drums.

They make me happy :D

• 1 month later...

I can play...

*deep breath*

Guitar - 6 years.

Bass - 4 years.

Vocals - Classically trained for 10 years.

Saxophone - 8 years.

Clarinet - 2 years.

Recorder - For 2 years when I was a child.

Flute - 3 years.

Harmonica - A dabble here and there.

Mandolin - 6 years.

Ukulele - 6 years.

Theremin - A dabble.

Steelpan - 2 years.

:D I love music, can you tell?

Currently I am playing a guitar I built myself. Its a JP-1000. Its a clone of a Gibson SJ-1000 but with 8 upgrades.It is a jumbo dreadnaught guitar 17 inch wide at the lower bout 5 inches deep 24 frets brazilian rosewood bridge it has stainless steel pins that the string ball ends go on.....string changes are twice as fast when you dont have to remove the pins. neat huh? Thats why I am the Guitarmaker. Thanks for asking.....I usually play a Les Paul....in my life Ive owned several....I have pics and memories. Im building another acoustic double neck and its going very well. I like a wide variety of string musical instruments......but since 2007 i have been playing the guitar you see in the picture....Mark Evan Barry

post-17535-0-76342500-1308294569_thumb.j

haven't figured out which instrument to play!:(

I hear you.....may I please help you figure it out? From my personal experience I have learned that the guitar is the most popular instrument. it is an instrument that can play one, two or more melodies at the same time that is why it is defined as a harmony instrument rather than a simpler melody instrument like a flute.

So that being said if you are just starting out get a good instrument. See how much you can apply yourself, scales, chords, song generes, repetoire.....see it gets deep.....just pick the guitar you cant go wrong..or the harmonica or bang a drum ....but there is so much to learn and once you learn all that ....theres joy in songwritting......cmon I own a gtr factory choose guitar...hahahaha....truly, Mark Evan Barry

post-17535-0-47360600-1308295511_thumb.j

I can play...

*deep breath*

Guitar - 6 years.

Bass - 4 years.

Vocals - Classically trained for 10 years.

Saxophone - 8 years.

Clarinet - 2 years.

Recorder - For 2 years when I was a child.

Flute - 3 years.

Harmonica - A dabble here and there.

Mandolin - 6 years.

Ukulele - 6 years.

Theremin - A dabble.

Steelpan - 2 years.

:D I love music, can you tell?

I am very impressed by your 44 years plus experience ...as well as the wide variety of instruments you play

• 1 month later...

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Les Paul Classic. The studio is stock, but I replaced the pickups on the classic with a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico II. Also have a Fender "Fat Strat" - it's standard stratocaster except with one humbucker. Played off and on since 1969 and should be far better than I am . :)

Was a full time bar bander in the 1970s until realizing that I'd need a glass liver to continue. Having lots of fun playing with a bunch of other old guys playing 2-3 gigs a year. Only Led Zeppelin covers we do are, perhaps not surprisingly, Stairway and Rock and Roll. Much fun and no glass liver needed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived