What instrument do you play?

Matt Harris

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Martin HD-28. Advice as to which is better - steel or nylon strings on an acoustic.

It's nice that you have a Martin guitar. I think it's mostly classical guitarists who use the nylon strings. I personally don't like the way nylon strings sound, which may be why I'm not into listening to classical guitar. I think most rock/folk guitarists use steel strings.

Thanks Scarlet. I just don't know if it would be a wise move to restring this guitar. I like the steel strings

better because of what I like to play. However, I learned to play on a nylon stringed Gibson. The difference between the two is remarkable in sound/tone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Scarlet. I just don't know if it would be a wise move to restring this guitar. I like the steel strings

better because of what I like to play. However, I learned to play on a nylon stringed Gibson. The difference between the two is remarkable in sound/tone.

Your (lovely) guitar is designed for steel strings, and I really wouldn't recommend trying to put nylons on it. You'd have to re-cut the nut in order to have the strings fit through it (nylon strings are thicker than steel strings) and you would regret it!

When I was a kid a got a guitar for Christmas I went to a few lessons I stopped and I regretted it.

So iam geting a newer guitar and ia going back to lessons my friend who is a player and teacher will give me lessons.

I wanna learn before I die lol

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived