Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
audioservant

Humour in Zeppelin Music...

Hey guys,

I always considered Houses of the Holy as the best or at least funniest album Zeppelin has ever done. I guess you already found out that especially dyer'maker and the crunge are the songs I'm talking about...

Now I would like to know if there are certain songs ('originals') that Zeppelin alludes to. The crunge could be some James Brown stuff while dyer'maker to me sounds like a parody of The Polices 'Every breath you take' before that song even existed :D (any reggae artist zeppelin alludes to?)

I hope this is worth a discussion and perhaps you have found 'comic elements' in other Zeppelin songs. Personally I'm interested in it because I'll have an exam about humour in music at the beginning of next year and anyway as a Zeppelin fan :D

By the way: what does the crunge actually mean. I'm not a native speaker and can't find a translation...maybe an allusion to some other song?

The Crunge is a good little stab at James Brown. "Where's that confounded bridge?"

All of Custard Pie and Trampled Under Foot are pretty obviously meant to be funny.

Hot Dog is an obvious show of what they thought about country music. D'yer Mak'er is another one

My wife thought "In Through The Out Door" was a subliminal message that the band, or certain members were either Gay or "Fudge Packers", I just cant make me mind up on that one, but quite amuseing.

I think "Black Country Woman" is a funny song...

"You didn't have to leave me with that beer in my face"

"But that's alright, I know your sisters too..."

It may have been funny at the time, but I'm sure Plant doesn't feel that way now, considering that after they finished recording that track outdoors he was attacked by a goose. :mellow:

It may have been funny at the time, but I'm sure Plant doesn't feel that way now, considering that after they finished recording that track outdoors he was attacked by a goose. :mellow:

:lol: To be honest everytime I read about this story it makes me laugh...(sorry Robert...)

Oh, and (if I remember correctly) from what I've read it was a whole flock of geese... :rolleyes:

My wife thought "In Through The Out Door" was a subliminal message that the band, or certain members were either Gay or "Fudge Packers", I just cant make me mind up on that one, but quite amuseing.

What does she think about your username, Bigdan?

What does she think about your username, Bigdan?

Hi 'mad dog'

She gave it to me, because i gave it to her, if you know what i mean? :D

Regards, Danny

but what does the "crunge" mean if you had to explain the word in a dictionary? :unsure:

Hi audioservant. I will try to answer your question. My info is from Chris Welch's book "Led Zeppelin: The Story Behind Every Song".

The Crunge was the supposed name of a new dance step that the Zep guys were trying to create in jest. Bonham was playing a funky beat one day at the Stargroves Studio, then JPJ joined in on bass and JP came in with an appropriate James Brown-style guitar rhythm. "Robert added vocals which encapsulated his feelings about his favourite artists, from Otis Redding to Wilson Picket. The band was so enamoured by the idea of creating a new dance craze - the Crunge - that they considered putting some diagrammatic dance steps on the cover to explain how to cope with a beat that crossed over from 'on' to 'off' every few bars. But that would have been more difficult to produce than the seed catalogue design on Led Zeppelin III."

Hope that answers your question!

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Yup!

Twas the talk back then.

In fact, lots of folks thought some of LZ's songs were loaded with homosexual overtones. NTTAWT,

but take D'yer Maker for example; big brutish drummer and limp wristed vocalist singing (oh oh oh oh oh oh, you don't have to go, oh oh oh oh oh!) I don't know, you be the judge. Again, NTTAWT.

Hi audioservant. I will try to answer your question. My info is from Chris Welch's book "Led Zeppelin: The Story Behind Every Song".

The Crunge was the supposed name of a new dance step that the Zep guys were trying to create in jest. Bonham was playing a funky beat one day at the Stargroves Studio, then JPJ joined in on bass and JP came in with an appropriate James Brown-style guitar rhythm. "Robert added vocals which encapsulated his feelings about his favourite artists, from Otis Redding to Wilson Picket. The band was so enamoured by the idea of creating a new dance craze - the Crunge - that they considered putting some diagrammatic dance steps on the cover to explain how to cope with a beat that crossed over from 'on' to 'off' every few bars. But that would have been more difficult to produce than the seed catalogue design on Led Zeppelin III."

Hope that answers your question!

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Very helpful, thank you very much!

It seems they were having a good time. The 1980 versions were good as well. But I prefer the ones from Knebworth.

same here, but i believe i sent u a message about the forum and the thing i'm talking about is that guys boxy thing on top of this reply that soe random did.

how about "darlene" its one of my fav songs and i laugh every time i listen to it.. im listening to it as i speak... and yea boogiewith stu and also the lemon song the way robert says"long time agoooo" gets me laughin just shows how great his voice is and that the band had an underrated sense of humor ..

"Wont ya make it my dyin dyin dyin....cough"

"That's the one!!"

I almost died laughing the firsat time I heard that! :D

I always smile when I hear How Many More Times.

"Now I got ten children of my own

I got another child on the way that makes eleven

But I'm in constant heaven"

I think Zeppelin has written a lot of funny songs.

(These are not in order)

1. Whole Lotta Love

2. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

3. Black Dog

4. Rock and Roll

5. Going to California

6. The Crunge

7. Custard Pie

8. Trampled Under Foot

9. Hot Dog

10. We're Gonna Groove

11. Ozone Baby

12. Wearing and Tearing

13. Somethin' Else

I think Zeppelin has written a lot of funny songs.

(These are not in order)

1. Whole Lotta Love

2. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

3. Black Dog

4. Rock and Roll

5. Going to California

6. The Crunge

7. Custard Pie

8. Trampled Under Foot

9. Hot Dog

10. We're Gonna Groove

11. Ozone Baby

12. Wearing and Tearing

13. Somethin' Else

i love somethin' else from disc 1 on bbc sessions but thats just a cover but roberts voice is funny and better than the original as always