The Superman theory

caroselambra~

some people will do anything to make the world look at them more favourably.

i have a friend who hid her smoking habit from everyone for 3 years.

she thought people would think less of her if they knew she smoked.

unfortunately unbeknown to her - the people around her knew what she was up to.

it was a joke at first but after a while they deemed her untrustworthy as anyone who could carry out a lie for so long must be of questionable character.

they would have thought better of her for being an honest smoker instead of a dishonest one and and as such lost their respect for carrying on the stupid charade.

this is a very silly and basic story BUT it has a moral - don't try and pretend what you are not as you have more to lose in the long run if you are found out.

here endeth the sermon

Edited by caroselambra~

Tell your friend a good pair of glasses makes a great disguise.

When Clark Kent puts his glasses on, I can`t tell him from Jimmy Olsen nor Lois Lane.

Well, if Lois would wear something a bit more revealing and show some cleavage that would clear up part of the dilemma.

it was a joke at first but after a while they deemed her untrustworthy as anyone who could carry out a lie for so long must be of questionable character.

they would have thought better of her for being an honest smoker instead of a dishonest one and and as such lost their respect for carrying on the stupid charade.

this is a very silly and basic story BUT it has a moral - don't try and pretend what you are not as you have more to lose in the long run if you are found out.

here endeth the sermon

and so speaketh one uptight real straight arrow.

Man, I hope you don't go around saying that shit in America...

Tobias Bluth, much?

I believe they are from the U.K. which would imply they refer to them as "fags."

I have no idea what your asking me though? Who is Tobias Bluth?

Something for you carousel.

How to Upload to Your Photobucket Account:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2031246_upload-pho...et-account.html

Courtesy ehow.

here endeth the sermon

I don't consider her untrustworthy because she feels shame (or maybe embarrassment) that she smokes, and doesn't want others to know she does it. Many people (i can raise my hand) consider smoking a dirty habit, and do (sorry but it's true) look down on people who do it. I have friends (and even a sister) who smoke. My sister hides it from her kids. I won't not be someone's friend because they smoke, but i have no desire to be near them when they do it.

If your friend was asked by someone if she smokes and she lies about it, then she is a liar. If she does it privately, then she feels it's her business only. Not such a big deal.

Bono hid his smoking habit from the rest of the band (because they got on him so bad about it), :) They still knew he was smoking but he hid it anyway... and Bono is certainly not untrustworthy or lacking in character...

okay, sermon over... :)

I don't consider her untrustworthy because she feels shame (or maybe embarrassment) that she smokes, and doesn't want others to know she does it. Many people (i can raise my hand) consider smoking a dirty habit, and do (sorry but it's true) look down on people who do it. I have friends (and even a sister) who smoke. My sister hides it from her kids. I won't not be someone's friend because they smoke, but i have no desire to be near them when they do it.

If your friend was asked by someone if she smokes and she lies about it, then she is a liar. If she does it privately, then she feels it's her business only. Not such a big deal.

Bono hid his smoking habit from the rest of the band (because they got on him so bad about it), :) They still knew he was smoking but he hid it anyway... and Bono is certainly not untrustworthy or lacking in character...

okay, sermon over... :)

:huh: hmm? you of all people i'd thought would know it's an "addiction" not a habit :slapface:

:huh: hmm? you of all people i'd thought would know it's an "addiction" not a habit :slapface:

I don't smoke, how would i know? :)

Okay, starts as a habit, and becomes an addiction? I started to smoke at age 12 to be cool (my best friend had been smoking since she was 10). I gave it up in my early 20's without any difficulty. I never felt like i had an "addiction" to cigarettes. However, i know people who try and can't quit are addicted. and you know i know all about the 1000 chemicals in those things, etc....

My point wasn't about that however, it was about addressing the accusation of somone hiding it being dishonest to her friends. That is what i didn't agree with :)

To anyone who currently smokes and wants to quit, try your best. I see people with lung cancer almost everyday. It's not pretty to have part of your lung (or an entire lobe) removed. Neither is chronic bronchitis/asthma/chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or emphysema...or the heart disease, brain disease, vascular disease etc.....you name any organ in your body, cigarettes effect it negatively... sermon over :)

I don't smoke, how would i know? :)

Okay, starts as a habit, and becomes an addiction? I started to smoke at age 12 to be cool (my best friend had been smoking since she was 10). I gave it up in my early 20's without any difficulty. I never felt like i had an "addiction" to cigarettes. However, i know people who try and can't quit are addicted. and you know i know all about the 1000 chemicals in those things, etc....

My point wasn't about that however, it was about addressing the accusation of somone hiding it being dishonest to her friends. That is what i didn't agree with :)

To anyone who currently smokes and wants to quit, try your best. I see people with lung cancer almost everyday. It's not pretty to have part of your lung (or an entire lobe) removed. Neither is chronic bronchitis/asthma/chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or emphysema...or the heart disease, brain disease, vascular disease etc.....you name any organ in your body, cigarettes effect it negatively... sermon over :)

:rolleyes:

I can read! :slapface:

No it's not, I've seen it first hand myself :o

I wouldn't be so hard on the poor kid. Probably under much stress so she smokes a butt to get her jollies. I think she will quit when she get's damned good and ready to quit. If people keep on at her she may keep doing it because it's her addiction.

And her money.

Edited by Mary Hartman