pink floyd

caroselambra~

this might make me v unpopular :unsure:

does anyone else, other than me, think pink floyd are probably the most overrated band in the world?

listening to their albums from 68 through to the final cut (i dont count the ones without roger waters as they are completely dire) it strikes me there are only 3 good ones out of the whole bunch.

their early ones are just a lot of un-melodic noise and the later ones (the wall side 4 on vinyl and the final cut) just a weak attempt at some kind of brass band opera style pomp.

dark side of the moon is good BUT not that good, wish you were here and the first 3 sides of the wall are probably the only good stuff they ever released.

it amazes me how they are consistently put up there with Zeppelin as one of the greatest bands in history.

just listening to their drummer is enough to put you off

anyone got any thoughts on this?

does anyone else, other than me, think pink floyd are probably the most overrated band in the world?

listening to their albums from 68 through to the final cut (i dont count the ones without roger waters as they are completely dire) it strikes me there are only 3 good ones out of the whole bunch.

their early ones are just a lot of un-melodic noise and the later ones (the wall side 4 on vinyl and the final cut) just a weak attempt at some kind of brass band opera style pomp.

dark side of the moon is good BUT not that good, wish you were here and the first 3 sides of the wall are probably the only good stuff they ever released.

it amazes me how they are consistently put up there with Zeppelin as one of the greatest bands in history.

Pink Floyd was shit with Sid Barrett. But they broke new ground when Gilmour given more opportunity.

No, you are wrong, Pink Floyd was an amazing band.

Gotta disagree with you. Pink Floyd took music in a new direction at the time. I actually love Syd Barrett (his solo albums are really interesting as well) and think the albums, though a bit more "raw" sounding than the more melodic sounds Gilmour brought, were great. No disputing Dark Side but I would also rate Meddle nearly on par with it and Wish You Were Here a close third. I liked Animals and parts of the Wall but I can't say they get the same listening time as the earlier stuff.

I really can't see how you can compre Floyd to Zeppelin......Their musical styles are completely different.......Both are outstanding in their own field, I like both equally......Different music for different moods............The only point That i agree with you on is the 2 post Final Cut albums (Momentary Lapse & Division Bell) I consider both of those to be Gilmour solo albums, lyricaly and musicaly inferior to anything that came before...........As for Roger Waters solo albums, they are all stunningly brilliant.

I really can't see how you can compre Floyd to Zeppelin......Their musical styles are completely different.......Both are outstanding in their own field, I like both equally......Different music for different moods............The only point That i agree with you on is the 2 post Final Cut albums (Momentary Lapse & Division Bell) I consider both of those to be Gilmour solo albums, lyricaly and musicaly inferior to anything that came before...........As for Roger Waters solo albums, they are all stunningly brilliant.

No you can't compare the two. I liked some of the cuts on Division Bell though I will agree that it felt more like David Gilmour's project than a Floyd album. Didn't really care for Momentary Lapse too much.

you misunderstood me

the only comparison is the phenomenal success they both enjoyed

If Pink Floyd only released 3 good albums that's 3 more than most bands! And although i prefer Zeppelin 'Dark Side Of The Moon' is better than any of their records and 'Wish You Were Here' is possibly as good too. I agree that the rest of their records are nowhere near the same quality but The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and other great bands are no different in that respect.

Also 'Echoes' off 'Meddle' is arguably their greatest work!

you misunderstood me

the only comparison is the phenomenal success they both enjoyed

WHAT !!!!!!!............You said Pink Floyd were the most overrated band ever ...... So what the F**k are you on about.

I'm not a big PF fan so I don't see the attraction. They did some things I enjoy but most of it I can do without. I do think they get too much credit for their synth use, many think PF singlehandedly pioneered it but there were others. I own Meddle and I like that era but anything before Saucer and after Dark Side doesn't appeal to me. Even though they were at the front of the movement when things started getting psychedelic and avant-garde I don't feel they made the important strides bands like Velvet Underground, Moby Grape and Zappa made.

Edited by danelectro

I'm not a big PF fan so I don't see the attraction. They did some things I enjoy but most of it I can do without. I do think they get too much credit for their synth use, many think PF singlehandedly pioneered it but there were others. I own Meddle and I like that era but anything before Saucer and after Dark Side doesn't appeal to me. Even though they were at the front of the movement when things started getting psychedelic and avant-garde I don't feel they made the important strides bands like Velvet Underground, Moby Grape and Zappa made.

Moby Grape, important....Yer 'avin a laugh.

Please be advised that below is entirely subjective post; IMO through and through. Not meant to offend anyone.

Pink Floyd is my #1 favorite band, period.

That said, I have to admit the question posed by the original poster HAS crossed my mind once or twice. Just because they're so huge. Really, are they overrated?

I'm not head over heels about Syd, though I respect the guy a lot and love their early stuff. I might get shot for saying this but if anything it's Syd's "legend" that is overhyped ever so slightly, though it's not his fault. But he did learn a thing or two from Dave. Roger Waters? Great musician, but also - pardon my French - a prick. Still, there's only one large framed portrait hanging on a wall in my room... the one of Roger Waters. Because he's the best bassist I know of, and one of the best composers. (Also, that photo is beautiful, which in Roger's case is almost impossible) I'm in love with Dave's singing (an odd combination of ambient and deeply intimate) though I don't need to be reminded he's not the greatest vocalist around.

So, are they?

They're so popular that it's becoming increasingly "cool" and "hip" to dislike them.

Then I start listening to their music (and most of the time it doesn't even matter which album is playing, though I have my favorites as well...) and all these silly questions just fall off like hair after a heavily myelosuppressive chemotherapy cycle. The sound completely dissolves me, and I think God, I almost forgot how f'ng great their music was. They all have contributed, yes... but IMO one of the biggest components is their unique instantly recognizable guitar sound. All you need is about 5-second snippet and you know it's Pink Floyd. That alone is probably enough to answer NO to this thread's original question.

Speaking as a drummer myself, I think Nick Mason is a fantastic drummer. And balls to anyone who thinks otherwise.

I agree, especially pre-WYWH.

I've never been a big Barrett fan and find Piper rather boring. But I understand it's importance to the scene in London at the time. It's a terrific psychedelic album. But I prefer Hendrix "psychedelia" to Barrett "psychedelia."

One could put Meddle in the top 5 most underrated albums of all time. It's a masterpiece and shows where their newly evolving sound would end up, ie Dark Side. Obscured By Clouds is probably my favorite B album by any group and has one of Floyd's best songs, Wut's Uh..the Deal. You also get a hint at Waters' reoccurring theme of "loss" with Free Four. A theme that would become the anthem of Pink Floyd for the rest of their working career.

The Final Cut should have been a Waters solo album. It's absolutely dreadful. The only one to benefit from it was Rick Wright. He luckily left before then.

I've always enjoyed the first side of Momentary Lapse of Reason. The Division Bell, on the other hand, is pretty weak in comparison.

You cannot compare a band like Pink Floyd to Led Zeppelin. It's easy to lump them together because marketing has them both branded as "classic rock." But Zeppelin were good-time rock and roll with no real message other than have a good time while you can...Floyd's message was more internal and more about the fragility of life. I think that's where Floyd's real connection with fans is. They had the ability, possibly better than anyone, to speak to their fans about the hardships and pains of living everyday...and with themes like "greed, government, death, loss, awakening," it's not difficult to see why they appeal to so many people.

And the music ain't half bad either. ;)

Edited by bigstickbonzo

I agree. They have some songs I enjoy hearing, but overall not my cup of tea. Just a lot of smoke and mirrors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_and_mirrors

Roger Waters. Because he's the best bassist I know of, and one of the best composers. (Also, that photo is beautiful, which in Roger's case is almost impossible) I'm in love with Dave's singing (an odd combination of ambient and deeply intimate) though I don't need to be reminded he's not the greatest vocalist around.

So, are they?

They're so popular that it's becoming increasingly "cool" and "hip" to dislike them.

i totally disagree

david gilmour used to play most of the bass on their albums

re your second point - i simply fell out of love with them and now cant see what i ever liked about their stuff in the first place

also - nick mason is a terrible drummer imo - one of the worst ever to be recorded

i mean he even messed up the money intro at live 8

^ Nick's drumming deteriorated towards the end of Floyd. He has said he wasn't into the music anymore because of a divorce he went through in 1975. This lead him away from his earlier style and to much more simple beats (The Wall). I know he stopped playing for a few years in the 1980s-and I think this only further hindered his abilities. He couldn't even play drums for "Dogs of War" on Momentary Lapse of Reason so they got Carmine Appice to fill in. In fact, I think Nick only plays drums on two songs on that album.

I have seen interviews where Gilmour was quite upset with Nick about his drumming too. While recording the Wall, David felt Nick wasn't putting in his weight and doing all he could. I agree.

Pink Floyd must have being doing something right during their career, as it is reported that they sold over 210 million albums worldwide, whilst The Dark Side Of The Moon achieved a total of 1,500 weeks (over 28 years) on the Billboard and Pop Catalogue charts.

Overrated, or what?...I don't think so.

RB

Pink Floyd must have being doing something right during their career, as it is reported that they sold over 210 million albums worldwide, whilst The Dark Side Of The Moon achieved a total of 1,500 weeks (over 28 years) on the Billboard and Pop Catalogue charts.

Overrated, or what?...I don't think so.

RB

maybe they used clever marketing techniques

cant be because of their music

people get sucked in by the media's presentation of things

*pink floyd in the album chart for 10 years*

hey they must be good lets go buy it.

they also used one of the cheapest tricks in the book - lyrics containing profanity.

it's an early version of what gangster rappers do today.

all impressionable kids love a bit of rebellion .

*bus stop rat bag - you fucked up old hag*

laughable lyrics and a cheap marketing ploy - but hat's off to them

it worked wonders

people get sucked in by the media's presentation of things

*pink floyd in the album chart for 10 years*

hey they must be good lets go buy it.

they also used one of the cheapest tricks in the book - lyrics containing profanity.

it's an early version of what gangster rappers do today.

all impressionable kids love a bit of rebellion .

*bus stop rat bag - you fucked up old hag*

laughable lyrics and a cheap marketing ploy - but hat's off to them

it worked wonders

You don't 'alf come out with some right shite, La.........................