pink floyd

caroselambra~

Also Snowy White was originally Gilmour's friend so I think they just played very similarly.

I know he played on David's solo disc released around '77 or '78, which was a tremendous release might I add. I do also know that Snowy was playing in the "seregate band" during The Wall tour and I believe he was playing backup at the Live 8 reunion. Anyway.....

Okay, this is my problem with Roger Waters.

First let me say, he's an amazing talent. Really. Without him there would be no music since he wrote everything. But that in and of itself is the problem. After Dark Side of the Moon, no one else had writing credits. Music credits yes, writing credits no. He completely shut them out in that regard. Which is selfish and its own way, greedy. Toward the end, he began to think he was greater than the sum of his parts. In other words, "you are nothing without me, so shut up and follow along."

Then he turned on the fans. I don't doubt that sometimes they could be annoying; I've been to rock concerts where I'd like to punch some of the idiots around me, too. But the fans are responsible for you being famous. We buy your records, we go see your shows....we tell other people to buy your records and see your shows. Without the fans, you're nobodies. So to turn on them and act like they're the source of your problems is asinine.

I'm sure he's mellowed out over the years and he's admitted in interviews that he had a huge ego and it got out of control, but I still can't stand him.

I definately concur. He felt alienated from the crowd because it wasn't a small club and he said all you'd hear is drunks screaming. That really pissed him off.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

Yes, he was a full time member of Thin Lizzy before joining them for the 1977 "In the Flesh" Tour.

He has played with Waters on every tour since the 1999 "In the Flesh" Tour. I remember PBS broadcasting a show from either the 99 or 00 tour years back and White was playing lead guitar. His take on "Comfortably Numb," while faithful to Gilmour, wasn't half bad.

Edited by bigstickbonzo

Gotta disagree with you. Pink Floyd took music in a new direction at the time. I actually love Syd Barrett (his solo albums are really interesting as well) and think the albums, though a bit more "raw" sounding than the more melodic sounds Gilmour brought, were great. No disputing Dark Side but I would also rate Meddle nearly on par with it and Wish You Were Here a close third. I liked Animals and parts of the Wall but I can't say they get the same listening time as the earlier stuff.

thay are just a great band in their own right

imagine a rock without led zeppelin or pink floyd

there won't be dream theater

because dream theater is led zeppelin heaviness+pink floyd experimental ideas=dream theater and progressive metal band

just imagine a world without pink floyd deep purple led zeppelin black sabbath trapeze scorpions ACDC thin lizzy together in the era from 1969 till the 80s

it would be a different world by then

so pink floyd are just creative as zeppelin but in another direction

and don't forget that jimmy page was a syd barret fan ;)

peace

Edited by tofeee

Yes, he was a full time member of Thin Lizzy before joining them for the 1977 "In the Flesh" Tour.

He has played with Waters on every tour since the 1999 "In the Flesh" Tour. I remember PBS broadcasting a show from either the 99 or 00 tour years back and White was playing lead guitar. His take on "Comfortably Numb," while faithful to Gilmour, wasn't half bad.

Wasn't Snowy White brought in because he was friends with David Gilmour?

Then why would he be playing with Waters? Did they become good friends over the years?

I have wondered this too for a while, but I haven't found an answer and there must have been a good reason for them to come together. I also am not sure whether Snowy played on any of Gilmours solo stuff, so if anyone knows that it would be great.

I have wondered this too for a while, but I haven't found an answer and there must have been a good reason for them to come together. I also am not sure whether Snowy played on any of Gilmours solo stuff, so if anyone knows that it would be great.

He didn't. I have all three of his solo albums (on vinyl) and he's not listed and looking online, he's not listed either.

^ Even on his '77 solo release? I thought I saw him listed. Oh well... I do know that Snowy was a friend of the band and of course everyone seemed to jump to one ship or the other after all the fall out in the 80's.

^ Even on his '77 solo release? I thought I saw him listed. Oh well... I do know that Snowy was a friend of the band and of course everyone seemed to jump to one ship or the other after all the fall out in the 80's.

It was '78 and as far as I can see, no he didn't play on it.

It was '78 and as far as I can see, no he didn't play on it.

'77/'78, it's not like we're discussing the release of Dark Side or anything. :) I'll have to check my Floyd books at home and see where their paths crossed first. I know I read something about Snowy being involved with Gilmour before performing with Floyd. Anyway, I bet this is the longest discussion on Snowy White in history! :lol:

Probably has been. lol. And I am going to continue it with another Snowy question. Did he also play a solo in "Another Brick in The Wall Part 2?" I watched a video of The Wall tour on YouTube and saw David play the solo from the song but Snowy continued it. So I guess my question is, when Pink Floyd played "Another Brick in The Wall Part 2" live, were there two guitar solos? One from David and one from Snowy.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

Probably has been. lol. And I am going to continue it with another Snowy question. Did he also play a solo in "Another Brick in The Wall Part 2?" I watched a video of The Wall tour on YouTube and saw David play the solo from the song but Snowy continued it. So I guess my question is, when Pink Floyd played "Another Brick in The Wall Part 2" live, were there two guitar solos? One from David and one from Snowy.

According to Gilmourish.........

ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL 2

studio

Stratocaster

Gibson Les Paul (solo)

- rhythm (bridge pickup); clean signal into mixing desk (double track)

- rhythm/melody & fill-ins (bridge pickup);Muff and Phase 90 (rate 10%)

- solo (neck pickup); clean signal heavily gated/compressed into the mixing desk, then fed through a Mesa/Boogie amp and back into the mixing desk

Note: It’s reported that David used the 1954 #001 Stratocaster on rhythm parts.

live

Stratocaster, neck pickup

- rhythms; Dynacomp and Electric Mistress

- solo; Dynacomp, mild ovedrive and Electric Mistress

Note: Gilmour would sometimes change guitars during the last chorus and use the Les Paul on the solo (ass seen at Earl’s Court 1980).

So according to this (and it's pretty damn accurate) David played the solo. Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 1 featured both David and Snowy, but not for this one.

Anyone who is a fan of David's should check the site out --> http://www.gilmourish.com

The more interesting area for me would be who played what solo on the 77 tour, I always assumed that Snowey played the solo on Pigs On The Wing part 2 because he did so on the 8 track studio version, maybe one or both the solos in Wish You Where Here aswell since there pretty similar? The extended vertsion of part 8 of Shine on sounds like the guitarists swap over halfway to me aswell with one backing up the other soloing.

The more interesting area for me would be who played what solo on the 77 tour, I always assumed that Snowey played the solo on Pigs On The Wing part 2 because he did so on the 8 track studio version, maybe one or both the solos in Wish You Where Here aswell since there pretty similar? The extended vertsion of part 8 of Shine on sounds like the guitarists swap over halfway to me aswell with one backing up the other soloing.

Pigs On the Wing solo wasn't played on the Animals tour.