pink floyd

caroselambra~

david gilmour used to play most of the bass on their albums

care to back that up?

re your second point - i simply fell out of love with them and now cant see what i ever liked about their stuff in the first place

also - nick mason is a terrible drummer imo - one of the worst ever to be recorded

i mean he even messed up the money intro at live 8

I don't think you even bothered reading my post. Where did you see anything about Nick Mason?

So you can't see why you ever liked them. I can, very clearly, because I keep coming back to their music after having had "affairs" with other artists, because to me their music is truly timeless. Imagine that. :o

care to back that up?

I don't think you even bothered reading my post. Where did you see anything about Nick Mason?

So you can't see why you ever liked them. I can, very clearly, because I keep coming back to their music after having had "affairs" with other artists, because to me their music is truly timeless. Imagine that. :o

accept my apologies re the nick mason stuff

i got your post mixed up with someone else's

with reference to gilmour playing bass - it is widely accepted that this is the case.

in fact waters himself has admitted this in numerous interviews

people get sucked in by the media's presentation of things

*pink floyd in the album chart for 10 years*

hey they must be good lets go buy it.

they also used one of the cheapest tricks in the book - lyrics containing profanity.

it's an early version of what gangster rappers do today.

all impressionable kids love a bit of rebellion .

*bus stop rat bag - you fucked up old hag*

laughable lyrics and a cheap marketing ploy - but hat's off to them

it worked wonders

I was a Floyd fan before I even knew the internet existed. And I didn't start paying paying attention to what the media said about until many years later. I simply liked their music.

Nice try, but your broad generalizations don't really fly.

I was a Floyd fan before I even knew the internet existed. And I didn't start paying paying attention to what the media said about until many years later. I simply liked their music.

Nice try, but your broad generalizations don't really fly.

i agree generalizations dont work - but generally speaking i find their music to be too rehearsed

thank heaven for sound effects and lightshows B)

that's fair enough

to be honest i will be surprised if you can name a song that shows how fantastic he was????

How about the entire album "Meddle"? The drum dynamics on that album fit beautifully with the rest of the music, which is part of the reason that is my favourite Pink Floyd album.

Speed is only a part of good drumming technique, Nick had a great sense of dynamics (soft and heavy), at least on the older albums.

Even if he did lose it as he got older, that doesn't take away from the fact that he was good on those older albums.

Edited by Jarlaxle 56

with reference to gilmour playing bass - it is widely accepted that this is the case.

I've never heard Waters confirm that. I know its true based on album sleeve notes and David being very candidate about recording sessions.

i agree generalizations dont work - but generally speaking i find their music to be too rehearsed

thank heaven for sound effects and lightshows B)

To that, I'll agree. Pink Floyd, before they brought in numerous backing musicians and vocalists, were a subpar live act..at best.

Again, you have your opinion. That's fine. But your way off with their success being largely due to marketing. Good music doesn't need good marketing. The music speaks for itself. And in the case of Pink Floyd, their musical is timeless. And that speaks louder than any marketing scheme.

this might make me v unpopular :unsure:

does anyone else, other than me, think pink floyd are probably the most overrated band in the world?

listening to their albums from 68 through to the final cut (i dont count the ones without roger waters as they are completely dire) it strikes me there are only 3 good ones out of the whole bunch.

their early ones are just a lot of un-melodic noise and the later ones (the wall side 4 on vinyl and the final cut) just a weak attempt at some kind of brass band opera style pomp.

dark side of the moon is good BUT not that good, wish you were here and the first 3 sides of the wall are probably the only good stuff they ever released.

it amazes me how they are consistently put up there with Zeppelin as one of the greatest bands in history.

just listening to their drummer is enough to put you off

anyone got any thoughts on this?

Have to dissagree to some extent as I think the Rolling Stones are the most overrated band. Floyd with Barret was very inovative..broke new groud, then he went, give them their due , songs like Echoes and DSOTM also was very groundbreaking, so for that alone they deserve alot of credit. Their use of space in the music giving it time to breath , build up was a great thing in some of their music, in a day and age where people feel they have to cram every millisecond with a note or notes just in case thay have to actually feel the music and time..they still can still do it for me every now and then.

Edited by leddy

Their use of space in the music giving it time to breath , build up was a great thing in some of their music, in a day and age where people feel they have to cram every millisecond with a note or notes just in case thay have to actually feel the music and time..

Wow, that was just brilliant. Exactly how I feel about Pink Floyd.

Great band. They were great musicians, and great writers. As with Zep, I prefer the more non-radio friendly tracks. Stuff like Free-Four from Obscured By Clouds. Lucifer Sam is another amazing track, I think Sid sang. I really don't compare bands, because to me, songs or bands capture a mood or a moment for me.

Great band. They were great musicians, and great writers. As with Zep, I prefer the more non-radio friendly tracks. Stuff like Free-Four from Obscured By Clouds. Lucifer Sam is another amazing track, I think Sid sang. I really don't compare bands, because to me, songs or bands capture a mood or a moment for me.

Some songs are timeless and prophetic.

And some need to be deciphered.

And your source for this information? What is known that Gilmour and Waters both played bass on One Of These Days.

RB

i agree generalizations dont work - but generally speaking i find...

You state here that generalisations don't work, and then continue do just that - generalise. Not the best way to form a coherent arguement, is it? You also appear to make up statistics as you go along, or make references to "widely accepted" information, unable to quote sources. Sure, it's fine you don't like Pink Floyd; there are millions who will agree with you. I think this is just a case of Trolling.

RB

Some songs are timeless and prophetic.

And some need to be deciphered.

Nick Mason: People often listen to the music and come up with a visualisation of what it's about and when they've had it they think they've got it, they've discovered the secret. Sometimes they even bother to write to us and say, "I've got the answer, it's cornfields, isn't it?"

Roger Waters: And when they say it to us we tell them the truth. We just say, "If that's what it is to you then that's what it is", because it can be whatever you want - it doesn't matter what you visualise - it's not important".

Roger Waters and Nick Mason on Pink Floyd. ZigZag, July 1973.

Nick Mason: People often listen to the music and come up with a visualisation of what it's about and when they've had it they think they've got it, they've discovered the secret. Sometimes they even bother to write to us and say, "I've got the answer, it's cornfields, isn't it?"

Roger Waters: And when they say it to us we tell them the truth. We just say, "If that's what it is to you then that's what it is", because it can be whatever you want - it doesn't matter what you visualise - it's not important".

Roger Waters and Nick Mason on Pink Floyd. ZigZag, July 1973.

I was speaking of music in general.

It's very mathematical.

And I would have to disagree. Everything matters.

You state here that generalisations don't work, and then continue do just that - generalise. Not the best way to form a coherent arguement, is it? You also appear to make up statistics as you go along, or make references to "widely accepted" information, unable to quote sources. Sure, it's fine you don't like Pink Floyd; there are millions who will agree with you. I think this is just a case of Trolling.

RB

firstly i have never said i dont like pink floyd - i said they are overrated a statement i stand by

please forgive me - the *generally speaking* quote was my poor attempt at humour.

it's certainly not trolling either.

i have made valid points which you seem unable to accept, in fact they seem to have upset you.

with regard to your other accusations of made up statistics, is suggest you do some homework on the subject of their bass playing, alternatively i can post some links if you like.

just let me know

:)

Pink Floyd must have being doing something right during their career, as it is reported that they sold over 210 million albums worldwide, whilst The Dark Side Of The Moon achieved a total of 1,500 weeks (over 28 years) on the Billboard and Pop Catalogue charts.

Overrated, or what?...I don't think so.

RB

They certainly are not underrated.

When you sell that many albums you only can be overrated

Edited by euro