pink floyd

caroselambra~

I love the Syd Barrett era. See Emily Play and Lucifer Sam are fantastic psych classics. I also like Dave's guitar playing and he's got a great voice which suit their style very well. But I really don't like The Wall, that PF stuff is terrible and definitley overrated IMO.

Wow, that was just brilliant. Exactly how I feel about Pink Floyd.

Cool :) they were masters of it.

The feeling of space in their music is more likely the result of the way they produced their albums. Nowadays music is commonly smashed together to get it to be as loud as possible so as to 'stand out'.

Making it loud hasn't got anything to do with it, if its a one min piece or a 25 mins, alot of bands today want to just cram it with notes, they write the songs so if they want to play one note instead of 8 in the second they can. Dont get me wrong I love a bit of thrash and speed (and guilty of it myself when playing, but not all the time) but thats all it seems to be, not alot of contrast. Thats what sets Zep and Floyd apart from the wannabees I guess .

people get sucked in by the media's presentation of things

*pink floyd in the album chart for 10 years*

hey they must be good lets go buy it.

they also used one of the cheapest tricks in the book - lyrics containing profanity.

it's an early version of what gangster rappers do today.

all impressionable kids love a bit of rebellion .

*bus stop rat bag - you fucked up old hag*

laughable lyrics and a cheap marketing ploy - but hat's off to them

it worked wonders

Yeah that's it. That's the dumbest thing I 've heard in awhile.

For me Floyd are up there as one of the all time greats; they are not overrated, they thoroughly deserve their popularity. To me they are the biggest 'underground' band of the lot - never really hogged the limelight, didn't release singles for years etc, but grew and grew a massive audience not because they were superstars but on the strength of the music and their live performances. I know they're not to everyone's taste but the same can be said about anyone. I was lucky enough to see them live 4 times, including watching the very moving Live 8 performance from about 10 rows back. Since then we've sadly lost Syd and Richard and along with the latter any chance of further Floyd activity. Anyone who's seen them live will know just how much their music means to so many people.

Yes I do there are just too many starving musicians out there who deserve a bit of commercial success

If the majority of people actually bought music rather than illegally downloading/file sharing music from the web then these "starving"musicians may just make some money. Commercial success depends on whether something is sellable or not; it's up to the general public and their wallets.

RB

No real argument could be made that any of the musicans in the band were among the most technically skilled in their craft. Waters could barely play bass, and there are no odd time signature drum freakouts. Gilmour was a fine guitarist, but he isn't in the same league as Hendrix or Page, barring personal preference. Rick Wright was by far and away the most technically skilled musician in the band.

Pink Floyd did more with their small amount musical expertise than any band ever, but made some of the most complex sounding mainstream music, ever.

Anybody that says they are a one trick pony or that DSOTM or WYWH is their best needs to listen to a bit more of their catalog. Give me Meddle and Animals over either of those anyday, with Obscured by Clouds tossed right in there with them.

Pink Floyd did more with their small amount musical expertise than any band ever, but made some of the most complex sounding mainstream music, ever.

I agree. It was the structure of the music that set them apart: where to leave the spaces. The fact that three of the members were at one time training to become architects may well have stood them in good stead as to how to construct a piece without overblowing it, only using what was necessary to make the music effective.

RB

Edited by Humbucker

No real argument could be made that any of the musicans in the band were among the most technically skilled in their craft. Waters could barely play bass, and there are no odd time signature drum freakouts. Gilmour was a fine guitarist, but he isn't in the same league as Hendrix or Page, barring personal preference. Rick Wright was by far and away the most technically skilled musician in the band.

Anybody that says they are a one trick pony or that DSOTM or WYWH is their best needs to listen to a bit more of their catalog. Give me Meddle and Animals over either of those anyday, with Obscured by Clouds tossed right in there with them.

Absolutely spot on.

I could never consider Pink Floyd overrated because i found them at the same time i found Led Zeppelin, and that was an amazing time in my life. I disagree that David Gilmour is not an excellent guitarist to anyone who wants to call him mediocre in any way. He is more technical than Page or Hendrix, but he is absolutely great and my favorite next to Jimmy (Page that is!)

As for the opening that Pink Floyd have only three good albums, well that is just your opinion. If that was a fact, they would have probably faded away by now. I agree that Animals and Meddle are great albums, but i also love Dark Side of the Moon (in no way "average") and as previously mentioned, definitely "timeless". I also love Wish You Were Here. I don't love all the songs from their other albums, but i do love all the songs from these "four" and they are so good that it makes Pink Floyd worthy of their long standing following. The Wall was never one of my favs...but i appreciate it for it's artistry.

and David Gilmour was a fantastic model before he became a famous musician :)

Well I wouldn't exactly say that Waters could barely play bass... and gilmour although not being a guitar virtuoso is a very good guitar play imo. B)

Me and my brother we grew up on Pink Floyd from the albums that our father had. WYWH is major influence on me. I know they are pretty well known here in Europe but I always thought that it wasn't the same in America so the idea i had was that they were somewhat underrated... I don't know guess I was wrong, maybe?

Edited by Joao

Well I wouldn't exactly say that Waters could barely play bass... and gilmour although not being a guitar virtuoso is a very good guitar play imo. B)

True. Waters was a capable bass player. I saw The Floyd in their hey-day (when live gigs consisted of just the four of them), and he played it all with no porblems. You don't have to be a virtuoso guitar player to get your ideas across; the musicians played what was right for the song, not using it as a vehicle for showing off prodigious technique every night.

RB

Athough, I did say Waters could barely play bass, it wasn't meant to disparage his ability at the instrument. I meant it in a more "Ringo could barely play drums" sense. What he played or wrote for the song was always perfect, but he rarely, if ever, had a real over the top bass part, even thought there are several songs that are bass driven.

I disagree with the statement that Gilmour is as technical as Page and Hendrix. He is one of the best, no doubt, but his technique just doesn't cover that much range, imo. He is the best, hands down, when it comes to crafting a delicious guitar tone, it just seems that alot of his solos are treading the same ground over and over. Credit has to be given for knowing what to play and when to play it and I feel that is where Gilmour shines.

Athough, I did say Waters could barely play bass, it wasn't meant to disparage his ability at the instrument. I meant it in a more "Ringo could barely play drums" sense. What he played or wrote for the song was always perfect, but he rarely, if ever, had a real over the top bass part, even thought there are several songs that are bass driven.

I disagree with the statement that Gilmour is as technical as Page and Hendrix. He is one of the best, no doubt, but his technique just doesn't cover that much range, imo. He is the best, hands down, when it comes to crafting a delicious guitar tone, it just seems that alot of his solos are treading the same ground over and over. Credit has to be given for knowing what to play and when to play it and I feel that is where Gilmour shines.

wow - that was indeed a... :goodpost: