pink floyd

caroselambra~

I really like sleeping to their music. The ethereal nature of their music really does wonders on the dreams

I bought the DVD of Live at Pompeii about 4 years ago and i have never been able to watch it without falling asleep! Granted, i have only put it on late at night :)

I wouldn't call Floyd the best ethereal sound, since there's better out there. Listen to Klaus Schulze for some of that. But I think their most spacy sound to me comes from Echoes.

Klaus Schulz is great! And yes a good example of ethereal music. Philip Glass too IMO.

this might make me v unpopular :unsure:

does anyone else, other than me, think pink floyd are probably the most overrated band in the world?

listening to their albums from 68 through to the final cut (i dont count the ones without roger waters as they are completely dire) it strikes me there are only 3 good ones out of the whole bunch.

their early ones are just a lot of un-melodic noise and the later ones (the wall side 4 on vinyl and the final cut) just a weak attempt at some kind of brass band opera style pomp.

dark side of the moon is good BUT not that good, wish you were here and the first 3 sides of the wall are probably the only good stuff they ever released.

it amazes me how they are consistently put up there with Zeppelin as one of the greatest bands in history.

just listening to their drummer is enough to put you off

anyone got any thoughts on this?

Pink Flyod's live performances, along with their good studio work, is what allows them to be in the category of world's greatest rock bands.

None of the music that is considered un-melodic nosie will ever change my opinion of them.

My opinion of the greatness of PF is without......WITHOUT considering their double-album THE WALL.

They deserve the recognition....... and they are not the most overrated band in the world.....

I don't know who that title would go to...

• 3 months later...
this might make me v unpopular :unsure:

does anyone else, other than me, think pink floyd are probably the most overrated band in the world?

listening to their albums from 68 through to the final cut (i dont count the ones without roger waters as they are completely dire) it strikes me there are only 3 good ones out of the whole bunch.

their early ones are just a lot of un-melodic noise and the later ones (the wall side 4 on vinyl and the final cut) just a weak attempt at some kind of brass band opera style pomp.

dark side of the moon is good BUT not that good, wish you were here and the first 3 sides of the wall are probably the only good stuff they ever released.

it amazes me how they are consistently put up there with Zeppelin as one of the greatest bands in history.

just listening to their drummer is enough to put you off

anyone got any thoughts on this?

they are awesome but overrated

How are they overrated? What about their music do you think people exalt to lofty perches they don't deserve?

I'm legitimately curious.

I am as well. They cover all the grounds of success. If they are not your "cup of tea" that's one thing, but to say they are overrated................ :huh:

I don't know about overrated. A lot of people love them. But I have never been into their music. I can't relate to it at all. And as a live act they were a snore. They had to have all this other stuff going on during their shows to try and disguise the fact they lacked stage presence.

Edited by spats

They haven't grabbed me in the same way that Zeppelin have, but maybe that's because I've not been exposed to much of them. I have Echoes (the best of) and DSOTM. DSOTM is a classic, even I can appreciate that - and it's even better on the turntable. I love, love, love Money and Time.

I certainly wouldn't say they were overrated.

They haven't grabbed me in the same way that Zeppelin have, but maybe that's because I've not been exposed to much of them. I have Echoes (the best of) and DSOTM. DSOTM is a classic, even I can appreciate that - and it's even better on the turntable. I love, love, love Money and Time.

If you want to check out more of their albums (apart from greatest hits) - I'd recommend Wish You Were Here and Meddle to start with. Those two along with Dark Side would be my favorites though I do like their early work a lot.

If you want to check out more of their albums (apart from greatest hits) - I'd recommend Wish You Were Here and Meddle to start with. Those two along with Dark Side would be my favorites though I do like their early work a lot.

I was looking at them! DSOTM was my dad's, so that's always been lying around, but I bought Echoes - purely to get a 'general' feel, if you will. I'm not too keen on the stuff that I've heard from The Wall - it all seems a bit overblown to me, but maybe I ought to try and give it a proper listen one day.

I'm the kind of person who has zero patience for stuff that doesn't hook me straight away - and then I could kick myself when I realise just how long I missed out on what a fabulous piece of music it was.

:rolleyes:

I don't know about overrated. A lot of people love them. But I have never been into their music. I can't relate to it at all. And as a live act they were a snore. They had to have all this other stuff going on during their shows to try and disguise the fact they lacked stage presence.

You have no clue why Pink Floyd had the stage show that they did. None.

That's absolutely right. Their music was good in concert and their props, lights and effects but the band themselves were stoic and weren't much for watching. I don't think they had the props to hide that, but they had the props expressedly FOR the visual entertainment. They realized people wanted the psychedelic trippy effects as they stood there and played their instruments.

And yes, I did see Pink Floyd so I'm talking from that experience.

They didn't want to be the focus of the show. They wanted the music and the experience to be what you took away from it. So they hid behind the lasers the smoke and the whole nine yards, not because they had no stage presence, but because they didn't think they as people were important. It was the music.

They didn't want to be the focus of the show. They wanted the music and the experience to be what you took away from it. So they hid behind the lasers the smoke and the whole nine yards, not because they had no stage presence, but because they didn't think they as people were important. It was the music.

Well put Electrophile. Zeppelin and Floyd are on opposite ends of the musical spectrum, but I am one of the those who loves and appreciates both. I absolutely love their early era, 1969-71, and I have a ton of live recordings from that time and their musicality is the draw for me. Songs like Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, Cymbaline, If, Green Is The Colour, Fat Old Sun, Echoes, Embryo and Careful With That Axe Eugene are stellar moments always.

Once they achieved world wide success with Dark Side they were still able to write amazing music, as evidenced by Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut and Division Bell.

I find it sad that after all these years one gets the feeling that Roger Waters regrets leaving the band. How much further could they have gone had they remained intact? The lyrical genius of Waters, combined with the musical brilliance of Gilmour and Richard Wright allowed that band to scale heights few others could claim.

Their music is on an extremely deep level... it really requires the listener to think... and to me, that is a very cool thing.

Lots of people know like one or two songs by Pink Floyd. Its usually Money and Another Brick in the Wall Part 2. They are not overrated what so ever. More underrated. I say that because I have people come up to me when I am where in a Pink Floyd shirt saying "Pink Floyd, I know that guy ." People say that about Led Zeppelin all the time.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

I'm not familiar with much of their music either, but last year High Hopes grabbed me so bad that I don't even dare to listen it anymore. Powerful stuff! :blink:

Edited by Zanadu

That's absolutely right. Their music was good in concert and their props, lights and effects but the band themselves were stoic and weren't much for watching. I don't think they had the props to hide that, but they had the props expressedly FOR the visual entertainment. They realized people wanted the psychedelic trippy effects as they stood there and played their instruments.

And yes, I did see Pink Floyd so I'm talking from that experience.

Exactly. I have seen footage and friends have seen them in concert. They have no on stage charisma. They said they might as well not even be on the stage..

I don't think they would selll half the tickets they did without the light show. They would not be able to hold peoples attention with just them on the stage.