pink floyd

caroselambra~

Animals and Wish You Were Here are the BEST driving discs for a road trip! You can just get lost in them both. The earlier post on the early Floyd is right on. They were so different in their various stages of the group. Green Is The Colour is a great song, See Emily Play is one of my all time Floyd favorites (which apparently they never even played live, ever) and people should check out Atom Heart Mother. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is a wonderful piece, especially if you dig Richard Wright's piano playing, Summer of '68 is another great Wright piece, If is classic Waters and Fat Old Sun is some great early Gilmour. There is so much to listen to when it comes to the Floyd - not just Comfortably Numb and Money all the time! After their reunion gig, I went back and bought each disc in its remastered form from Piper onward to listen to the progression (had most on vinyl or tape). As a result I made 5 compliation discs (I called them The Pinkest Of All Floyd Vol. I - V) blending in different songs from all the different time periods. It is amazing how well Syd's songs go along with Gilmour's from the Division Bell, etc. Also, The Final Cut's songs are much better as individual songs in the context of other Floyd songs, than as its own disc. Anyway, they were truely an amazing band from beginning to end. :)

^ I concur. I mad a bunch of CDs froa aroad trip my friends and I went on over spring break and I put Dark side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals on their own discs and listened to them straight though.

Sheep and Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) ware the best ones to blast. Pigs, Dogs, and Wish You Were Here are the best to sing too.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

The sound was more striped down and aggressive(even if the tracks were still long) plus the lyrics looked as issues common in punk such as social decay, immoral profit hunting business/men, contrived moral outrage for political ends, oppresion of the working classes etc. They'd delt with some of those themes before of course but Animals was much more direct and well nasty, Pigs espeically...

The first verse is probabley about James Callaghan(british PM at the time), the second about Margret Thacther(opposition leader at the time) and the third about Mary Whitehouse(self appointed "moral crusiader").

Thanks for elaborating. Interesting comparison and one I would have never thought about!

Thanks for elaborating. Interesting comparison and one I would have never thought about!

I had never put all of that together, either, until reading an interview with Waters about the Animals disc. Learn a little about the figures in British politics and rock out at the same time - what a concept!! ;)

Cymbaline and Green Is The Colour are my faves. There's a one hour concert of theirs from 1970 from the PBS station in San Francisco where they performed quite a few songs from that album, those two included. The Stratocaster you see him using in that concert was stolen a few weeks later, and he went back to Manny's in New York to get a new one.....the now famous Black Strat.

Here are a couple videos from that concert:

Cymbaline

Green Is The Colour

I think you can watch the whole concert on Google Video.

Those two are my favorite too, and also Ibiza Bar and The Nile Song. Haha and I kinda even like the movie More :) Didnt like the ending though..

I had never put all of that together, either, until reading an interview with Waters about the Animals disc. Learn a little about the figures in British politics and rock out at the same time - what a concept!! ;)

There is also a connection with Orwell's "Animal Farm"

I have been think of this since I heard the famous Oakland 5/9/77 boot (which btw, could have easily been turned into a live album), why didn't Gilmour use the talk box live for the solos in Pigs (Three Different Ones)?

Because David didn't want to be known as a Peter Frampton clone! :lol:

Probabley the most overlooked Floyd soundtrack of all is Zabriskie Point, the 2cd version that came out a few years ago has an albums worth of material by them on it.

Is this previously unreleased music? I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

I think it all depends on what you like. Personally, I like Pink Floyd and I think it's a very good band. Sometimes, I'm in a very good mood for listening to Pink Floyd. But I think they're kind of overrated. I like psychedelic rock. It's all a matter of taste. :D

^ yes I know that. I just want to know why it wasnt used live for Pigs (Three Different Ones).

I honestly don't know what the answer is to your question. Since you have Pulse, did he use it on Keep Talking live?

Animal Instincts is one of my favorites. I love the Middle Eastern vibe to David's solo in Pigs (Three Different Ones). Very cool.

Maybe my ears are tricking me, but I thought I heard it.

Edit: Whoops, got my boots mixed up. The Middle Eastern vibe is in Welcome To The Machine. Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by Electrophile

Is this previously unreleased music? I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Well Heartbeat Pigmeat, Crumbling Land and Come In Number 51 You Time Is Up(reworked Careful with that axe euegene) were on the original soundtrack, the 2cd version also includes 4 new tracks. An instrumental similar to part 1 of the Narrow way(but alot longer) with the baseline of the Atom Heart Mother funky jam section, a new song featuring chess refferences, a piano solo and a long blues track.

Edited by greenman

Not at all over rated... A phenomenal band just for their lyrics alone. Also, the studio work is incredible...The ideas they came up with were out of this world back then and still are now. There is a Reason why Dark Side of the Moon is called Dark Side of the Moon...you got to find that one out yourself. :D

Animal Instincts is one of my favorites. I love the Middle Eastern vibe to David's solo in Pigs (Three Different Ones). Very cool.

Maybe my ears are tricking me, but I thought I heard it.

Edit: Whoops, got my boots mixed up. The Middle Eastern vibe is in Welcome To The Machine. Sorry 'bout that.

I thought the just played Wish You Were Here album for that show.

I thought the just played Wish You Were Here album for that show.

Nope, first half of the show was Animals. Second half of the show was Wish You Were Here, Money, Us And Them and then Careful With That Axe, Eugene. Roger threw that last one in because the audience didn't piss him off that night.

How magnaminous of him.