Mick Wall Interview

Kentuckygirl

and I lay there like a wounded animal while the vile ones poured their poison, asking God, please, watch over me and protect my soul through the long night against the demons who have taken the kind and wonderful one away into the depths of Mordor. Then I woke up feeling better, at least for a while until the next onslaught.

Poor thing. I hope you get better soon.

I'm not sure what you mean by hiBob Mania, but it sounds like you have let the opinion of overzealous fans sway you into active dislike of the man. So you loved the guy, but since other loved him even more without taking into consideration any of his weaknesses and faults you now despise him? That's some bizarre logic.

If you want to to talk about Page's accomplishments (technical, business, artistry etc,) please start some threads. There are a lot of experts on board that could weigh in - not me - and with any luck there will be some interesting discussion.

A lot of fans get very defensive when anyone points out that Jimmy has not been as productive as Robert in terms of non-Zeppelin related activity post-Zeppelin. It's not a jab, or a personal attack against Jimmy, it's just a fact. Some fans seem to take it very personally that their favorite artist has been having a relatively dry spell for an extended period of time. I'm grateful for everything JP has given to me in terms of Led Zeppelin (sold actually - that would be the business savvy you speak of :D ), but I am honest enough to admit that I would love to hear anything at all new from him - including nursery rhymes!

I'm not holding my breath though.

LOL, honestly.

Honey, they can have him. No hero of mine is so weak he needs constant attention and praise and cannot withstand thoughtful analysis.

Besides, had I remained a Plant fan, I'd have to hang around with a bunch of nauseatingly fawning, self-congratulatory and one-note fans.

No, thank you.

I did talk about Page's accomplishments:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?s=...st&p=301946

As per usual, Plant's insecure gaggle wasn't interested in discussing Jimmy Page. It doesn't matter where I attempt to start such a discussion, people are standing by 24/7 to jump in and change the topic to Robert, and ridicule and put down others... oh, so kindly, like little elves, impish as Plant himself... welcome to "HiBob Mania." :rolleyes:

Now, back to the topic I've been tryting to discuss - I think it was industry changing, the cover of LZ IV. Have an opinion on that? Jimmy Page came up with that, you know, fought Ahmet Ertegun tooth and nail. Legendary, that is.

Prince should kiss Page's feet, concering the whole symbol thing, don't you think?

LOL, honestly.

Honey, they can have him. No hero of mine is so weak he needs constant attention and praise and cannot withstand thoughtful analysis.

Besides, had I remained a Plant fan, I'd have to hang around with a bunch of nauseatingly fawning, self-congratulatory and one-note fans.

No, thank you.

As per usual, Plant's insecure gaggle wasn't interested in discussing Jimmy Page. It doesn't matter where I attempt to start such a discussion, people are standing by 24/7 to jump in and change the topic to Robert, and ridicule and put down others... oh, so kindly, like little elves, impish as Plant himself... welcome to "HiBob Mania."

Now, back to the topic I've been tryting to discuss - I think it was industry changing, the cover of LZ IV. Have an opinion on that? Jimmy Page came up with that, you know, fought Ahmet Ertegun tooth and nail. Legendary, that is.

Prince should kiss Page's feet, concering the whole symbol thing, don't you think?

Of course I'm an exception to all that. I still find Robert Plant attractive. It's basically hopeless because he reminds me so much of my true love who really does care. And I had such great times watching and listening to Jimmy Page play in concert. After having lived with someone who met Jimmy Page and talked incessantly about him, the glories of humbuckers and all things Jimmy Page are a familiar topic.

I should add that I think Robert Plant can withstand thoughtful analysis despite himself, and fawning fans come with the territory where he is concerned. You just learn to live with it somehow.

And I believe that he thrives on constant attention and praise because it is his natural personality. It is not necessarily a weakness and can be a strength. It's part of the joy of being an entertainer, being able to bring pleasure to so many.

And I try to be understanding of his younger fans. He touches that part of their psyche and they are going to respond. It's human nature.

LOL, honestly.

Honey, they can have him.Sure will!

No, thank you. .... s'ok, go write a book on Pagey's HUGE work since 1980, paperback, I'm sure!

I used to admire your balls. That statement shows your true colors.

Make your own f****** thread about THE BIG THINGS PAGE HAS DONE.

So lay off, B****!!!!!

YOU need anal..ysis.

ps: I'm in a not so kind mood today.

LOL, honestly.

No, thank you.

As per usual, Plant's insecure gaggle wasn't interested in discussing Jimmy Page. It doesn't matter where I attempt to start such a discussion, people are standing by 24/7 to jump in and change the topic to Robert, and ridicule and put down others... oh, so kindly, like little elves, impish as Plant himself... welcome to "HiBob Mania." :rolleyes:

Lovely :rolleyes:

wow!!!! just checking up on this thread.......

.....and checking back out! see ya!

I just hope Mick Wall doesn't think all these 200+ posts are about him. He does not deserve that, not even at Christmas. I am embarassed by the fact that I started this thread, although at the time I thought I was merely posting an item from a respected UK news source. :slapface:

LOL, honestly.

No, thank you.

Such bitterness. I thought I would be kind.

Now I will be better: IGNORE.

:slapface:

I actually think Plant is nicheless -if that's a word. Or at least he doesn't want to have a niche. His thing is doing different things. Some successful, some not so much.

Most people in the creative arts suffer at some point from "writer's block". When Dreamland came out Robert admitted he was having difficulty writing, and therefore looked to songs that had affected and inspired him. That album spurred Mighty Rearranger, all new material.

Page has been inactive for a long time in terms of doing anything that could be considered "new". Whether putting out new songs or reinterpreting someone else's. On the surface, not knowing what he is doing that he chooses not to share with the public, he appears to be in a creative lurch and has been for quite a while. I don't know about "bye bye love". After the Firm's take on "You've lost that Loving Feeling" (can't find the puking smiley) I think a better, more interesting song would be in order. Don't tell me if Page did an album of nursery rhymes you wouldn't buy it - and label it genius.

Neither Plant or Page have anything to prove. They can both stay at home and play with their grandkids for the rest of their lives if they choose to do so. They will both be remembered in history as being part of one of the greatest rock bands ever. Jimmy will always get props for being a great producer, songwriter, and guitarist. Robert will always get props for being a great singer, songwriter and frontman. Anything either of them do in their solo careers will always be overshadowed by Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin casts a long shadow, for them personally and for everyone else in the rock and roll business. Mick Wall's opinion of what they are doing at this point in time is just that - his opinion. He has as much right to that as I do to mine and you do to yours. The only person who should be remotely insulted by him voicing it is Jimmy, and I doubt he cares much. The interview has already been forgotten everywhere else but on this message board.

I personally LIKE the Firms "You've lost that lovin feeling" and I HAVE Led Zeppelin Lullabyes...it's lovely! :D

Wow! I've been gone over a month and thought I'd check out the Wall thread....this same discussion is still going on?!?!

Maybe a Jimmy vs. Robert thread should be started.

OK, back to topic. I'm half way through the Wall book and so far I think it's pretty good. The way he does the third person thing is kinda wierd but I'm getting used to it. I'm not sure some of the words he uses are true reflections of the person he is supposed to be representhing though.

There are clearly some things lifted from other books, but now and then a new anctedote pops up.

One that is especially funny (don't read on if you are going to read the book and don't want a spoiler) is how the guys used to bust each others chops. After one show, the crowd wanted another encore as usual and Robert was saying "Oh man, my voice is shredded, I just cant' do another song" and Bonzo said something to the effect of "You can't sing anyway so get your ass out there and we're doing an encore" LOL!!

Apparently the negative stuff is in the O2 chapter at the end of the book? All I know is that so far, it is not near as sensational as all the little 'snippets' that have been released make it out to be. I really don't think anyone should judge the book unless/until they read it.

Peace to All! I've missed everyone! :hippy:

PS....did Spats get laid yet? Ahahahha! Will have to check that thread out.

Of course I'm an exception to all that. I still find Robert Plant attractive. It's basically hopeless because he reminds me so much of my true love who really does care. And I had such great times watching and listening to Jimmy Page play in concert. After having lived with someone who met Jimmy Page and talked incessantly about him, the glories of humbuckers and all things Jimmy Page are a familiar topic.

I should add that I think Robert Plant can withstand thoughtful analysis despite himself, and fawning fans come with the territory where he is concerned. You just learn to live with it somehow.

And I believe that he thrives on constant attention and praise because it is his natural personality. It is not necessarily a weakness and can be a strength. It's part of the joy of being an entertainer, being able to bring pleasure to so many.

And I try to be understanding of his younger fans. He touches that part of their psyche and they are going to respond. It's human nature.

Now that's the attitude. UGG! B) Very well said.

Just one small correction...It's HiBob hysteria. Not hiBob Mania.

K, back to our scheduled programming, already in progress. :D

Oh, you're right. I mixed egotism up with irrationality, there. (Can't imagine why. :) )

So folks may make up their own minds:

http://www.manicnirvana.com/

Hey HotPlant, look for my "JIMMY PAGE IS UNBELIEVABLY GREAT" thread, coming soon.

Heck, if a single pro-Page post can start all this, think what a whole thread can accomplish! :bubble:

LOL, honestly.

No, thank you.

Jeez - remind me, who is this forum dedicated to again?

You hang around long enough and the same stuff crops up regardless of what the thread is about.

I see someone still seems to want this thread to actually be a Plant vs Page thing.

I have had a hard few days spent fawning over the mucic of Robert Plant, my word it takes it out of you all this fawning :blink:

I think I probably fit highly within one certain person's idea of a PLANT APOLOGIST without one apology for his work or choices ever being made by me. Ironic that.

Anyway despite my support of Mr RP I would like to add that at no time ever in the history of this or previous boards have I personally played down, underappreciated, thought badly of, negated, disliked, bad mouthed, ignored, slammed or generally been negative about my actual rock hero of all time

MR JAMES PATRICK PAGE, without whom I would not be here on this site dedicated to the music of the greatest band ever to put music on record or walk onto a stage.

So lets drop the pretence that those of us who DO support Robert Plant are also dedicated to having a go at Jimmy. For fucks sake he gave us LED ZEPPELIN!!!!

Its a bullshit trick by one person to even suggest it.

This apologist would like nothing better than to see Jimmy playing, and with Jonesy to his left or right depending on your view point and young Mr bonham driving the beat behaind them.

So lets cut the crap eh? You know who you are!!! :angry:

You will be needing a new spoon for Xmas with all the stirring you do. :D

Jimmy Page is THE MAN who I have to thank but Planty and Jonesy and Bonzo gave me the greatest musical rollercoaster ride of my life and are still doing it 40 years on. B)

So come on Jimmy lets have you back where you belong, I and many others miss you. :rolleyes:

Oh, you're right. I mixed egotism up with irrationality, there. (Can't imagine why. :) )

Hey HotPlant, look for my "JIMMY PAGE IS UNBELIEVABLY GREAT" thread, coming soon.

Heck, if a single pro-Page post can start all this, think what a whole thread can accomplish! :bubble:

What does that site have to do with this site? Two totally different things :rolleyes:

That might be a bit tough to do from the land of the banned but if it's any consolation,I would have gladly posted in it...and I wouldn't have posted anything negative.I'M easy to get along with.

One of HiBob's dislikes is to talk about the board on other boards. It has been proclaimed as "tacky"...

You must admire a guy/gal who makes up rules so he (or she) can talk to him (or her) self on a public forum without discussing the evil that is Jimmy Page, and Led Zeppelin. :blink:

That is correct, Jimmy is all but banned from conversation. Any content involving Jimmy is not considered solo work, and therefore will not be discussed. :unsure:

HiBob. :D

I do not consider Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin to be evil.

I have to say, that Mick Wall book does go on a bit too much about Jimmy and the occult, it gets a bit boring after a while.

There was one thing I noticed in the book that was a big load of old bullshit:

"What else can Zeppelin now offer Robert Plant that he doesn't already have? He now has a solo career that comparable artists in his position like Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry and even Paul McCartney could only dream of"

Well technically the plaudits and album sales have come not from a solo record but with Allison...

Secondly, I hardly think Robert has a bigger solo career than Paul McCartney... Raising Sand has sold maybe 3 million copies? Well Macca's last album, Memory Almost Full has sold about 2 or 2.5 million...

Raising Sand was nominated for a Grammy as Album Of The Year? Well so was Macca's 2005 album...

And Macca has sold more than 15 million solo records in the USA alone, which is more than Black Sabbath, Christina Aguilera and Paul Simon...(but they were all outsold, including Macca, by Michael Bolton... :blink: )

Robert Plant doesn't even make the list of solo record sales...

So somehow I don't think Paul is 'dreaming' of Robert's solo career...

I have to say, that Mick Wall book does go on a bit too much about Jimmy and the occult, it gets a bit boring after a while.

There was one thing I noticed in the book that was a big load of old bullshit:

"What else can Zeppelin now offer Robert Plant that he doesn't already have? He now has a solo career that comparable artists in his position like Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry and even Paul McCartney could only dream of"

Well technically the plaudits and album sales have come not from a solo record but with Allison...

Secondly, I hardly think Robert has a bigger solo career than Paul McCartney... Raising Sand has sold maybe 3 million copies? Well Macca's last album, Memory Almost Full has sold about 2 or 2.5 million...

Raising Sand was nominated for a Grammy as Album Of The Year? Well so was Macca's 2005 album...

And Macca has sold more than 15 million solo records in the USA alone, which is more than Black Sabbath, Christina Aguilera and Paul Simon...(but they were all outsold, including Macca, by Michael Bolton... :blink: )

Robert Plant doesn't even make the list of solo record sales...

So somehow I don't think Paul is 'dreaming' of Robert's solo career...

Was Mick Wall referring to Robert's career in terms of critical acclaim rather than sales? I haven't read the book so I don't know - just throwing it out there. I haven't followed Paul's solo career since Wings really par from hearing any singles released on radio/video. Are they getting a lot of airplay/good reviews or is it sales based on his name? Robert's solo albums have been pretty varied in sound/style, don't know if Paul pretty well puts out the same sort of sound or not. Again, no judgement here.

Archived