Mick Wall Interview

Kentuckygirl

Was Mick Wall referring to Robert's career in terms of critical acclaim rather than sales? I haven't read the book so I don't know - just throwing it out there. I haven't followed Paul's solo career since Wings really par from hearing any singles released on radio/video. Are they getting a lot of airplay/good reviews or is it sales based on his name? Robert's solo albums have been pretty varied in sound/style, don't know if Paul pretty well puts out the same sort of sound or not. Again, no judgement here.

Well IMO, it makes again no sense to compare the two solo carriers of Robert and Paul. For an expierenced writer as Mick Wall it's really not a smart step.

And I love the music from both of them :) .

Well IMO, it makes again no sense to compare the two solo carriers of Robert and Paul. For an expierenced writer as Mick Wall it's really not a smart step.

And I love the music from both of them :) .

I completely agree. I wasn't supporting the comparison but trying to offer a possible explanation at what Mick's point was.

Was Mick Wall referring to Robert's career in terms of critical acclaim rather than sales? I haven't read the book so I don't know - just throwing it out there. I haven't followed Paul's solo career since Wings really par from hearing any singles released on radio/video. Are they getting a lot of airplay/good reviews or is it sales based on his name? Robert's solo albums have been pretty varied in sound/style, don't know if Paul pretty well puts out the same sort of sound or not. Again, no judgement here.

Classic Paul B)

That Mick Wall interview really annoyed me. He is far too harsh on Jimmy, he doesnts it on his arse all day, hes been busy remastering/releasing things amonsgt other things.

Its very interesting he's the harshest on Jimmy and theyve had a falling out, he had a falling out with Axl Rose in the past and his recent Axl Rose biography is very one sided so I've heard.

He isnt exactly nice about JPJ either...

I'll agree Robert appears to have had the 'biggest' solo career in terms of album numbers, tours etc. but Jimmy and JPJ have also been sucessful and done lots.

And Macca is HUGE, even bigger than Robert I'd say (in terms of random people know who he is).

Will give this biog a miss I think, shame there is yet to be a 'reliable' account of Zeppelin.

Well, let's be honest though, what critical acclaim has Robert had solo-wise other than Raising Sand? I don't really know.

I think Mick Wall is just getting carried away with his journalistic hyperbole...

I mean I don't mind the book, it has some useful information in it, but sometimes it does read like an over-opinionated album review:

"The last time Jimmy Page released an album of new music was over a decade ago, with Walking Into Clarksdale, an album so thin it makes In Through The Outdoor look like the musical break-through John Paul Jones still kids himself it was"

I mean that's just plain bitchy, but rock journalists have a tendency to do that merely because they have to look more attitudinaly superior to the artist they are reviewing (I mean most album reviewers believe the real work of art is their critique).

The thing about what Mick said is that, basically, his solo career is so good and fruitful that even Paul McCartney could only dream of having a solo career that good.

Mick, when you read the book, holds obvious dislike for Paul McCartney's work, which I think is what the comment is based on. But then no offense to Robert, but he's hardly going to be remembered for his solo albums. Maybe amongst a section of Led Zep fans he's remained popular, but I would speculate that in reality, on the cultural radar screen since 1980, Robert has been little more than a fondly remembered but ineffective blip.

I think it's great he still gets out there and records albums and all that stuff, but his solo career has been culturally irrelevant. McCartney has been too, it's still the weight of The Beatles that pushes him through, but McCartney has been far more successful at getting his work out to much larger number of people in his solo years than Robert has.

Well, let's be honest though, what critical acclaim has Robert had solo-wise other than Raising Sand? I don't really know.

I think Mick Wall is just getting carried away with his journalistic hyperbole...

I mean I don't mind the book, it has some useful information in it, but sometimes it does read like an over-opinionated album review:

"The last time Jimmy Page released an album of new music was over a decade ago, with Walking Into Clarksdale, an album so thin it makes In Through The Outdoor look like the musical break-through John Paul Jones still kids himself it was"

I mean that's just plain bitchy, but rock journalists have a tendency to do that merely because they have to look more attitudinaly superior to the artist they are reviewing (I mean most album reviewers believe the real work of art is their critique).

The thing about what Mick said is that, basically, his solo career is so good and fruitful that even Paul McCartney could only dream of having a solo career that good.

Mick, when you read the book, holds obvious dislike for Paul McCartney's work, which I think is what the comment is based on. But then no offense to Robert, but he's hardly going to be remembered for his solo albums. Maybe amongst a section of Led Zep fans he's remained popular, but I would speculate that in reality, on the cultural radar screen since 1980, Robert has been little more than a fondly remembered but ineffective blip.

I think it's great he still gets out there and records albums and all that stuff, but his solo career has been culturally irrelevant. McCartney has been too, it's still the weight of The Beatles that pushes him through, but McCartney has been far more successful at getting his work out to much larger number of people in his solo years than Robert has.

As an aside, Robert's gotten a decent amount of good reviews for many of his solo albums. It's comparing apples and oranges with him and McCartney.

Sounds to me like a lot of what he's saying is based on ill feelings towards Page and a dislike of McCartney which you have to therefore read it all with a grain of salt I suppose. Interesting to hear people's thoughts on it as they're reading!

Well yeah it is, I mean what's the definition of success? It depends too much on the individual interpretation.

Sure, let's drop it. :)

Ah and since you've mentioned it, I'd like to know what Mick Wall has said about Jonesy and Bonzo? Most of the discussions here about the book are focused on Jimmy and Robert.

I know Mick tends to get a bit snarky....I remember his vicious review of a Whitesnake concert in the late 70's. Wall later admited that he'd had too much to drink and filed the story without fully listening to the concert. Regardless of what you think of David Coverdale I'm sure you'd like the review to actually LISTEN to the band he's reviewing and not be drunk. I think Coverdale held a grudge for twenty years afterward.

If Wall allows his personal animus toward Page to interfere with his objectivity then he shouldn't have written the book at all

Jeff

Where Macca wins out over Robert is touring. Macca is one of the consistently top draws in the world when he tours (as are the Stones). Robert has had trouble filling venues ever since he dumped Jimmy.

Well, typically, not an awful lot is said about them in the book, especially Jonesy.

I still haven't finished it but he does allude to Jonesy partying a lot more than people think. Jonesy just happened to spend more parying time with friends that he had all over. He also discusses the period where Jonesy was very discontent with the entire scene that was Led Zeppelin and considered leaving the band.

As far as Bonzo he does tell some of the horror tales of how he behaved when he was really drunk but he also is sympathetic with why Bonzo got like that - he was so very, very homesick. Wall says he never wanted to sleep while it was dark. Oh! And apparently there was a point when Robert aimed his laser sharp wit at Bonzo until G told him to knock it off. Also, he says many times how Bonzo was generous to a fault and very kind when he was not overly drunk and angry. Apparently he would say to G "I just wanna go home..." and G would say "Ok, come on man, we're only a couple weeks away, you can do it"

The guys gifted Bonzo with a Harley for one of his birthdays, he drove it up and down the hallways of where ever they were staying at the time and generally wrecked the place. When they left he paid the damages and told them "You can keep the Harley" What would THAT baby be worth now?! LOL!

Also, he is very, very generous with his praise and accolades to ALL the guys in many, many parts of the book.

The part I'm hating most is when he does that third person bit. None of it is actually quotable material, just thoughts through Wall's eyes. He could have really pulled that off way better than he did.

"What else can Zeppelin now offer Robert Plant that he doesn't already have? He now has a solo career that comparable artists in his position like Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry and even Paul McCartney could only dream of"

:hysterical: Oh, Canteen Boy, you make me laugh!

Jagger and Daltrey, yeah. Bigger than McCartney? No way, no day.

So glad I didn't add this waste of trees to my x-mas list.

I was actually looking for some mods,but like the real Police, they are never around when you want them :D

Reading Micks latest blog (he is always down to earth and entertaining),it has become very clear to me that he is not in good shape for a man of his age.He is about 50,but has come across lately as 75.

Reading between the lines,It seems he has some serious issues.Regardless of your thoughs on THAT book,he has a young family.

A clue, as he said himself, is that he has just visted a church for the first time since he was married.He also has just broken three ribs after a fall.and seemingly suffered apalling health for many months now.This tells me that he is either.

A hypocondriac

B More clumsy than Sandy Denny

C A reprobate drunkard,.which goes without saying, but we usually know how to take care of ourselves.and at 50,he should be a pro.

D In very serious trouble indeed.

He might be any or all of these things,but he is still a human being and deserves to be treated as such.

I was actually looking for some mods,but like the real Police, they are never around when you want them :D

Reading Micks latest blog (he is always down to earth and entertaining),it has become very clear to me that he is not in good shape for a man of his age.He is about 50,but has come across lately as 75.

Reading between the lines,It seems he has some serious issues.Regardless of your thoughs on THAT book,he has a young family.

A clue, as he said himself, is that he has just visted a church for the first time since he was married.He also has just broken three ribs after a fall.and seemingly suffered apalling health for many months now.This tells me that he is either.

A hypocondriac

C A reprobate drunkard,.which goes without saying, but we usually know how to take care of ourselves.and at 50,he should be a pro.

D In very serious trouble indeed.

He might be any or all of these things,but he is still a human being and deserves to be treated as such.

uuhhh....fuck him and his broken ribs.

Harsh!

I bought this book yesterday, the music shop chain Zavvi went bust and so had a big sale - was £12 rather than £20 so I thought what the hell.

At the end of the day, although we all herald all the Zeppelin members as gods they are all human and fallable. No dount Mick Wall will raise some contraversial points but that doesnt mean that they're not true.

At the end of the day Robert has actually had the biggest solo career - 9 albums (10 incl. Alison Krauss) plus one DVD and thats not including Page and Plant. However bigger than Macca I think not.

I was tempted to write that one instead...

Woops! Sorry about that! :unsure::blink::huh: .I was thinking about people who knew her, and described her being somewhat clumsy,long before her death.

To me,Sandy was,is and will remain the greatest female vocalist England ever produced!.

Woops! Sorry about that! :unsure::blink::huh: .I was thinking about people who knew her, and described her being somewhat clumsy,long before her death.

To me,Sandy was,is and will remain the greatest female vocalist England ever produced!.

No worries, yeah the problem was she was clumsy but the way she died meant that I didnt know what you meant. To quote the Golden God: "Sometimes words have two meanings."

• 2 weeks later...

So, what a disappointing book! I didnt read anything i hadnt read before.....apart from the bits where mick wall 'imagines' what the band members are thinking. Which is a waste of space.

Also, i find it all a bit bizzare, the talk of Stairway being some kind of satanic hymn! And, maybe it's me, but it seemed to me that MW is suggesting that as the reason why Robert is so reluctant to sing it.

All in all, not a great book.

Archived