Mick Wall Interview

Kentuckygirl

Hi all,

I think people expect so much from Pagey because he was the brightest star that shined for so long..his roots, his connections, his talent. After Hendrix died, he became the next guitar God for several years. The Zeppelin catalog was a juggernaut of sex filled, good time rock and roll that showcased innovative guitar work and some of the best hard rock soloing of all time. So when tragedy began to hit them after the 1975 tour..and hard drugs took hold of Page's private life and soon began to hinder his once nearly flawless nightly playing to a sheer mockery of his 1970ish capabilities, it was as if the "promise" of what Page was to be "wasn't" being fulfilled. I don't have an answer for what he was suppose to be other than Jimmy Page...but I think some view him as a casualty in that sense. The first act of Zeppelin was such a powerhouse entity, it was beyond legendary. The second act was overshadowed by tragedy (obviously, some unavoidable) and too much excess; to which leads some restless mouths to ponder "what could have been."

I also think his weak solo career post-Zeppelin, Robert Plant's highly successful solo career, his continuous battles with substance abuse and his playing not being nearly as good as it was before he became smacked out have brought him down a notch. There's no taking away his "Legend" status in the eyes of any Zeppelin fan or guitar player, but I think all those elements have in one way or another again contributed to this image of "what could have been."

I've read both Cole and Davis' books and I've said the same thing about both writings that Plant famously said when asked, 'If all that stuff really happened. (ie the looning).' "It might have, but I can't remember." I think that's the best way of putting into context what is accurate and what isn't. I agree, alot of what is written probably did happen, to some extent. I think there are other realities that some fans have a hard time swallowing; like Page's drug addiction and how that seriously changed him. While some like to think he was still the same Jimmy, a junkie is a junkie- and I think the ugliness that tends to be shown in such gossip books just pisses alot of people off who only want to remember him for being 'wholesome.' And there's nothing wrong with that. I particularly don't care for the gossip shit myself. But again, it's fairly obvious alot of what has been written is pretty accurate..or aleast has been based on elements of truth. Led Zeppelin has been called a great band that became "too bloated and eventually burst." It may be hard to swallow, but it's quite accurate.

BSB,excellent post!As well as Steve and for color,we have Meg! :)

Memo to Mick;Don't be Steven Davis,or better yet,stop the douse beggary,... <_<

Rock Gods?Yes,human beings who make mistakes,yeah.Tell me something I don't know.

Memo to Robert;keep on keeping on!

Jimmy;thanks!

JPJ;thanks!

John; :D

Jason;I bow down before you,mate!

KB(ho hum)

Jimmy by all accounts could have and perhaps should have been dead years ago due to drug addiction. He beats that, decides to raise his young children in a way he couldn't do back in the 70's, and Wall uses the word "tragic" because he hasn't had an active solo career. A little overly dramatic on Wall's part, no?

Besides, not only did he do everything Moonmaid mentioned over the past year, he's also spent lots of time rehearsing. He spent a good bulk of '07 rehearsing for the O2, and he has spent time working on new stuff with JPJ and Jason this year. And his playing at the O2, with the Foos, and (by all accounts) in It Might Get Loud shows that he still has "it".

In other words, I don't see what all the fuss is about if a 65 year old guy likes to have the remote control in his hand when he feels like it. Page has already lived 5 lifetimes by most people's standards, so give the guy a break. Especially when we know he has been playing the guitar, quite a bit over the past two years for sure.

I was looking forward to buying and reading this book, but now I think I'll pass. Who needs enemies when you have a "friend" like Mick Wall.

I feel the same way - this book was on my Christmas "want" list, but now that I've read that Wall was Jimmy's "friend" for 20 years, then turned around and wrote a book about him, very much against Pagey's wishes... yuck. That's low. No wonder sometimes famous people get paranoid and isolate themselves. How can you know who's really your friend?

Jimmy by all accounts could have and perhaps should have been dead years ago due to drug addiction. He beats that, decides to raise his young children in a way he couldn't do back in the 70's, and Wall uses the word "tragic" because he hasn't had an active solo career. A little overly dramatic on Wall's part, no?

Besides, not only did he do everything Moonmaid mentioned over the past year, he's also spent lots of time rehearsing. He spent a good bulk of '07 rehearsing for the O2, and he has spent time working on new stuff with JPJ and Jason this year. And his playing at the O2, with the Foos, and (by all accounts) in It Might Get Loud shows that he still has "it".

In other words, I don't see what all the fuss is about if a 65 year old guy likes to have the remote control in his hand when he feels like it. Page has already lived 5 lifetimes by most people's standards, so give the guy a break. Especially when we know he has been playing the guitar, quite a bit over the past two years for sure.

Exactly! Its people like Mick Wall that make me wish Peter Grant and John Bindon were still around so they could give him a good old fashion Led Zeppelin ass kicking.

Looks like I'm gonna have to steal this book cause' there's no way in hell I will contribute one penny to this scumbag's bank account.

Perhaps Jimmy is personally spending very happy and quiet life now (judging from his recent expression) ,so he is afraid that he may be rolled in an unpleasant clamour by this book again.(though I personally do not think that this book is a mere vulgar inside book)

From some of Jimmy's interviews in this year,he seems to be crazy about his granddaughter.

Mick Wall is said to have been Jimmy's close friend.

Jimmy might have asked him not to publish this book as a friend,but Wall refused it.

Why did Wall refuse it? Moneymaking?

Hi. Just finished Walls book. First off, I found the book interesting and even the "private thoughts" quotes entertaining. the last section about the O2 and Jimmys "bitterness" was trite, sensationalist and pure conjecture. It seemed that Wall just had to make up something negative. So that was that I still feel we'll all have to wait until one of the three remaining members writes something or grants extensive interviews for the real story.

Cheers B)

Hi. Just finished Walls book. First off, I found the book interesting and even the "private thoughts" quotes entertaining. the last section about the O2 and Jimmys "bitterness" was trite, sensationalist and pure conjecture. It seemed that Wall just had to make up something negative. So that was that I still feel we'll all have to wait until one of the three remaining members writes something or grants extensive interviews for the real story.

Cheers B)

What did Wall say about the 02 concert? Jimmy was the one who took off right away isn't he? The other guys hung out for a bit at least with friends and family?

Well, he played precisely two gigs; he mimed playing the guitar once (having originally played the track, of course); he played guitar in a movie (haven't seen it, can't comment on the extent). Plus he talked a lot about playing the guitar (which doesn't really count, since that's not actually playing it). That's hardly a huge output in a year!

Jimmy's inactivity post O2 had more to do with waiting around for Robert than not wanting to play. Now that Robert is out of the way, we can see if Jimmy puts his money where his mouth is.

Jimmy's inactivity post O2 had more to do with waiting around for Robert than not wanting to play. Now that Robert is out of the way, we can see if Jimmy puts his money where his mouth is.

Jimmy knew way before the O2 gig that Robert wasn't interested in anything more than that. Whatever the reason for any 'inactivity', I don't believe it was anything todo with RP.

I noticed that Mick Wall was also very disparaging about Jimmy's Beijing performance. He seems to be being very self-consciously critical of Jimmy at the moment... perhaps there's some defensiveness, some inner unease on Wall's part with regard to his actions and his loss of Jimmy's friendship. He doesn't even take his shades off for the "author photo" in the book, which ends with the conjecture that just as Boleskine House does, Jimmy will always have have his demons.

There's a strange little story on pages 328-9; allegedly, David Bowie invited Page over to his New York house on 20th Street in 1975. Obsessed with Crowley at this stage, Bowie was apparently convinced that Jimmy's studies had given him an especially strong "aura", which fascinated and scared him. The meeting didn't go well- a freaked-out and intimidated Bowie asked Page to leave, which he only did after silently smiling and staring at Bowie for some time. He left with a slam of the door. After that Bowie avoided him and insisted that the 20th Street house be exorcised!

Quite honestly., I don't care about their personal lives. Society has become too voyeuristic about everything. Let them have their personal lives. Let the music do the talking...

5, 10, 20, 100 or 3000 years from now, the books won't even be a footnote in history.

The music will be the only thing remembered...

... so why spend so much time focusing on anything else???

R

Hear, hear!

It cracks me up that a guy who obviously devoted a huge amount of time and energy to writing a book about Led Zeppelin, a book that's chief selling point over several others is that the author was once a personal friend of Jimmy's, would be so clueless as to complain that Page is stuck on Zeppelin.

LOL! Hypocrite, much?

If you believe the press reports, Jimmy has also been writing new material with JPJ and Jason, as well as rehearsing with various singers.

Meg

He was also, after all, biding some of his time while Robert decided which way to jump.

I find it hard to imagine Jimmy Page doesn't play his "precious mistress" on a regular basis, as evidenced by his kick ass performance at the O2 show and a great job with the Foos. I also doubt Mick Wall is in his house 24 hours a day to know about it, for heaven's sake.

Anyway, if Page puts down the guitar to pick up a remote, or a book, or spend time with his children or grandchild, it's not some kind of tragedy, for heaven's sake. His life's work so far is already much more than Mick Wall has enough imagination to appreciate, it seems. Which means I won't be buying this book.

I noticed that Mick Wall was also very disparaging about Jimmy's Beijing performance. He seems to be being very self-consciously critical of Jimmy at the moment... perhaps there's some defensiveness, some inner unease on Wall's part with regard to his actions and his loss of Jimmy's friendship. He doesn't even take his shades off for the "author photo" in the book, which ends with the conjecture that just as Boleskine House does, Jimmy will always have have his demons.

And Christ will always bring salvation. There was nothing wrong with Jimmy Page's performance in Beijing, but Beijing's people have many problems. There are those who needlessly suffered because of the Olympics.

I don't think Jimmy spent a whole lot of time waiting for Robert to decide which way to jump:

Jimmy knew way before the O2 gig that Robert wasn't interested in anything more than that. Whatever the reason for any 'inactivity', I don't believe it was anything todo with RP.

:yesnod:

OK, Jimmy, so now we're ready for the next step. Go for it!

To be honest, WGWTE isn't half as sensationalist as I thought it would be. It's certainly nothing like the book described by Wall in a blog post from last year, so I'm wondering whether concessions were made before it went to print. It's basically a cut-and-paste of other books, interspersed with quotes from a guy who sells or used to sell occult paraphernalia to Jimmy, and odd second-person conjectural ramblings, as if Wall is addressing the band directly.

I was aware Mick Wall knew Jimmy Page, but I had no idea they were actually friends, just that their paths had crossed a few times under controlled interview conditions. I personally have no problem with Wall writing a book about a favourite band of his, one whose members he happened to know at close quarters - Richie Yorke did the same back in the Seventies with no apparent fallout (though there are no reports of Yorke hanging out with the band after his book came out, funnily enough). Nor do I object to Wall's occasionally critical approach - that's what journalists do, and if your friends can't be honest with you, who can?

No, what makes me uneasy is his statement about needing to 'keep doors open' in his 20s, 30s and 40s, but now he's 50 he doesn't need to talk to Jimmy again. Maybe he was misquoted, but if not it seems he deliberately set out to win Page's confidence and get him to open up so he'd have material or dirt for a future book - almost a covert intelligence-gathering mission disguised as friendship. If true, it's an incredibly callous thing to do to someone who almost certainly has a hard time trusting the motives of others anyway - we've all heard about the 'babysitter' incident, for one.

That said, just because someone wants to write about a you, even critically, doesn't mean they're doing it out of malice. Maybe Wall felt the book would help Jimmy in some way by persuading him to 'wake up', as Wall sees it. There's probably a lot more to this than we know.

There was nothing that was said in this interview anyway that wasn't posted by fans in this website before about Robert Plant. That Plant has achieved greatness not by riding on the name of Zeppelin but instead his work speaks for itself. We already know that. He explores "untapped" half-forgotten music genre and gives it his own twist. He "follows his own muse" and not what's hot at the moment and his work is what sells itself. This man after whom the word "frontman" was coined tried to make a name for himself without the aid of his own fame and we all know he has succeeded. He has created his legacy as a true artist in his own right, all while keeping the memories of the young rock god to his fans intact in a special place.

I do agree Mick Wall's comment about Jimmy Page is (hopefully) a wake up call. He was harsh well tough. I think Jimmy Page is stuck in the 70's, where he was young and cute. I'm not saying that out of malice or meanness. He is a brilliant artist still unequalled but.... All these collaborative mediocrity with mainstream bee bop startlets are not exactly knock-outs. I could never bring myself to watch the Beijing show. Even if I wasnt away in a far-flung beautiful place where TV was the last thing in mind, even if it wasn't for my personal boycott of the Olympics, I could not bring myself to watch Leona Lewis belt out WLL. I wont watch her in a free show at the mall. Jamming with FF Dave Grohl. Turned off. Dave Grohl FYI, if you want to achieve greatness youre not gonna get it riding on someone's popularity no matter how big of a fan you are of him. Too bad I think youre talented but your antics worst than a White House lobbyist. If Jimmy really likes jamming with young ones he really has better choices than these knock-offs.

Anyway those dvd, cd releases from Jimmy are really cool. But if him and JPJ are going on the road I hope for their sakes they're really pouring out their mature genius or I'm afraid they will just torpedo their own legacy.

I like the title of the book. Giant is what Zeppelin is.

To be honest, WGWTE isn't half as sensationalist as I thought it would be. It's certainly nothing like the book described by Wall in a blog post from last year, so I'm wondering whether concessions were made before it went to print. It's basically a cut-and-paste of other books, interspersed with quotes from a guy who sells or used to sell occult paraphernalia to Jimmy, and odd second-person conjectural ramblings, as if Wall is addressing the band directly.

I was aware Mick Wall knew Jimmy Page, but I had no idea they were actually friends, just that their paths had crossed a few times under controlled interview conditions. I personally have no problem with Wall writing a book about a favourite band of his, one whose members he happened to know at close quarters - Richie Yorke did the same back in the Seventies with no apparent fallout (though there are no reports of Yorke hanging out with the band after his book came out, funnily enough). Nor do I object to Wall's occasionally critical approach - that's what journalists do, and if your friends can't be honest with you, who can?

No, what makes me uneasy is his statement about needing to 'keep doors open' in his 20s, 30s and 40s, but now he's 50 he doesn't need to talk to Jimmy again. Maybe he was misquoted, but if not it seems he deliberately set out to win Page's confidence and get him to open up so he'd have material or dirt for a future book - almost a covert intelligence-gathering mission disguised as friendship. If true, it's an incredibly callous thing to do to someone who almost certainly has a hard time trusting the motives of others anyway - we've all heard about the 'babysitter' incident, for one.

That said, just because someone wants to write about a you, even critically, doesn't mean they're doing it out of malice. Maybe Wall felt the book would help Jimmy in some way by persuading him to 'wake up', as Wall sees it. There's probably a lot more to this than we know.

Thanks for an objective point of view. :) I'm not going to buy the book but I was curious as to what others thought about it and is it the same, better or worse than the other books out there.

My POV...there are some good LZ books round & about; I've read several-even the tabloid ones :P but the best book about LZ has yet to be written......and that would be by the band members themselves. Wouldn't it be grand just to give them each a tape recorder and you say tell me about led zeppelin in your own words.....of course that book may be out there and perhaps I haven't come across it. B)

There's a strange little story on pages 328-9; allegedly, David Bowie invited Page over to his New York house on 20th Street in 1975. Obsessed with Crowley at this stage, Bowie was apparently convinced that Jimmy's studies had given him an especially strong "aura", which fascinated and scared him. The meeting didn't go well- a freaked-out and intimidated Bowie asked Page to leave, which he only did after silently smiling and staring at Bowie for some time. He left with a slam of the door. After that Bowie avoided him and insisted that the 20th Street house be exorcised!

That old chestnut. :rolleyes: I don't recall this anecdote having originated with Mick Wall.

WGWTE isn't bad but it could have been better. Also the biography is meant to be about Led Zeppelin but it's strange that only Jimmy Page and Robert Plant appear on the cover (front and back). JPJ and Bonzo must be the "forgotten" giants...

In David Bowie's song "Quicksand", some of the lyrics go:

"I'm closer to the Golden Dawn

Immersed in Crowley's uniform of imagery"

There was a Q magazine article on the making of Low some years ago, in which Bowie allegedly went into seclusion with his heroin in Berlin because he feared Page's magick.

It was David Bowie whom Jimmy outbid for the Tower House in June 1973.

In Feb 1975, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie were both booked into the Plaza Hotel in New York. Led Zeppelin arrived at the hotel after their 2/6/75 concert in Montreal too late for a Jackson 5 party, so Robert and JPJ hung out with David instead.

I'd have a blast with that boy. Back when I was turning 20, I had a party thrown for my birthday, and I got into a staring contest with someone, cleared a room of about 20 people or so who got totally freaked out and won, ha ha.

Besides, look at the bs he had to put up with Kenneth Anger. When I finally heard the Boleskine recording segment on you tube I immediately recognized it because I used to hear it in my head. I love it. Sometimes I will listen to it over and over again. Brings back memories. Anger said it was crap. He doesn't know anything. These people who claimed to know so much about the hidden realms were only caught up in their own imaginations of what those realms are about.

And the comments on you tube about the recording are pretty funny too. I think I will go listen to it before going to sleep, it's been a while since I've afforded myself that pleasure.

I do agree Mick Wall's comment about Jimmy Page is (hopefully) a wake up call. He was harsh well tough. I think Jimmy Page is stuck in the 70's, where he was young and cute. I'm not saying that out of malice or meanness. He is a brilliant artist still unequalled but.... All these collaborative mediocrity with mainstream bee bop startlets are not exactly knock-outs. I could never bring myself to watch the Beijing show. Even if I wasnt away in a far-flung beautiful place where TV was the last thing in mind, even if it wasn't for my personal boycott of the Olympics, I could not bring myself to watch Leona Lewis belt out WLL. I wont watch her in a free show at the mall. Jamming with FF Dave Grohl. Turned off. Dave Grohl FYI, if you want to achieve greatness youre not gonna get it riding on someone's popularity no matter how big of a fan you are of him. Too bad I think youre talented but your antics worst than a White House lobbyist. If Jimmy really likes jamming with young ones he really has better choices than these knock-offs.

Have to agree with most of what you said. Let's just say Beijing wasn't exactly Jimmy's crowning moment. I like Dave Grohl and he is a fan so no objections here to the Page/JPJ/Foos jam.

I think the problem is that Jimmy, unlike Robert, never really got a second wind after Led Zeppelin, and there's nothing in his post-Zep repertoire that matches the critical and commercial success of Raising Sand. I'm sure most people have no problem with him hearkening back to Zep as the band's output and continuing popularity certainly justifies it; that said, I think his lack of consistent post-Zep success has left him a bit confused with regards to what he should do next, leading to questionable choices such as the Olympics appearance.

Archived