Mick Wall Interview

Kentuckygirl

There is no doubt that Robert has done so much more than Jimmy after Zep( Touring and Recording new Music). There is no doubt that Jimmy did all the work on the remaster's of Zep. Robert doesnt promote Zep as his only source . Jimmy Does. I wish Jimmy recorded more solo albums ,but he didnt . He always said he had stuff ,but we all know that was more then a decade ago ,and where still waiting. It is a waste of talent . Mick Wall is right , and I'm a huge Jimmy fan, but its the truth . Robert certainly knows it too.

i think i would find it easier to kick up a new band every 5-10 years if i were a vocalist that could add a few zep songs in concert every tour. not to slam robert, but that is alot easier than a non-singing guitar player starting from scratch with a new band, plus a must have plant sing-alike to do the expected zep songs live (keeps the fans coming to shows and buying new albums). what a pain! the other option is the jeff beck route.......but still the live gig. get me?

as for the back catalogue, thank god! the only other catalogue that compares is the beatles and they have had george martin all the way doiwn the line for the dust offs and remasters. he has taken very good care of the tapes and has served the beatles and the public well. page has done exactly the same thing...and it is a time consuming job.

jimmy page has wasted his talent? is that what you are trying to sell me here?

:lol:

play me some of your hits, genuis....

I'd love it if Jimmy put out his own version of Dreamland. His interpretations of songs that inspired and influenced him. Everyone knows a lot of Zep's greatest songs were reworkings of old blues and traditional songs. Why would you consider Dreamland or Raising Sand a waste of talent? Do you think the same about "you shook me", Black Mtn Side, Levee, etc.. were they a waste of talent since they weren't original? I'm not following the logic.

You are correct. As far as not following logic, I mean. The point Chicago is making is why is Jimmy being scrutinized for wasting his talent in comparison to Robert, while Robert is being praised ( for not wasting his talent :blink: ) when really ONE original album separates there output, since the end of Led Zeppelin. I believe Robert has released 2 more cover albums then Page in that time also.

Most men are starting to think of retirement and collecting their bus pass at the age of 64, so if Jimmy wants to lord it all day watching the footie, why should it bother anyone, nevermind Mick Wall?

Fair point, he's not done a lot in the past few years. But, some would argue, he's worked harder than most people have in their entire lives and, with three/four children to raise, he's allowed to finally kick off his shoes and relax. Why do some people act as if that is a hindrance?

Whilst people like Mick Wall were bemoaning the fact that we haven't seen much of Jimmy, the man himself has been getting on with his life and raising children - some would say, doing the hardest job of all.

i think i would find it easier to kick up a new band every 5-10 years if i were a vocalist that could add a few zep songs in concert every tour. not to slam robert, but that is alot easier than a non-singing guitar player starting from scratch with a new band, plus a must have plant sing-alike to do the expected zep songs live (keeps the fans coming to shows and buying new albums). what a pain! the other option is the jeff beck route.......but still the live gig. get me?

as for the back catalogue, thank god! the only other catalogue that compares is the beatles and they have had george martin all the way doiwn the line for the dust offs and remasters. he has taken very good care of the tapes and has served the beatles and the public well. page has done exactly the same thing...and it is a time consuming job.

Great point beatbo. On another note, how many of us think it is more complicated to write new music as apposed to writing lyrics? I guess it would depend on the comparison in works. I will let someone else go there.

i don't think jimmy has ever really seen himself as a solo artist. visionary, yes. i think he prefers the band dynamic, it must be as atractive to his muse as the possibilities of recording in a studio. page is a completeist. all or nothing, unless he can fit in things for fun, not legacy (crowes, foos, etc). robert, on the other hand can come out with a tony bennett songbook if he wants and we will all have to go with the "growing as an artist, exploring different music". and he could slam it together in two weeks if he wanted-including having two tours booked.

mick wall is hitting the 'wasted talent" horn a little harder now than he did in the book, though, inne? jimmy not taking your calls anymore, mick?

i think i would find it easier to kick up a new band every 5-10 years if i were a vocalist that could add a few zep songs in concert every tour. not to slam robert, but that is alot easier than a non-singing guitar player starting from scratch with a new band, plus a must have plant sing-alike to do the expected zep songs live (keeps the fans coming to shows and buying new albums). what a pain!

:goodpost:

Thank you! That's what I said on the first page. There are many more obstacles for a guitarist going solo, especially if he's not a singer.

And yeah, I guess some people think remasters and DVD collections can just be whipped up in a jiffy! Well, I've seen and heard some that have, but not LZ.

He is not very kind in his descriptions of JP:

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands...66331-22318557/

WHEN rock bands break up there is usually only one winner.

John Lennon was the moptop who mopped up the plaudits, while Paul McCartney was left with pipedreams of glory. And sappy Pipes Of Peace.

Led Zeppelin authority Mick Wall says this maxim is also true of the ground-breaking heavy metal outfit.

Mick has interviewed all the living members of Zeppelin on numerous occasions, knows their colleagues and friends, and has now written a meticulously researched biography, When Giants Walked The Earth. The man who knows Zepp best claims Black Country blues belter Robert Plant has a future as long and splendiferous as his hair.

But lead guitarist Jimmy Page isn’t so fortunate, and is a shadow of his former self, who finds it impossible to leave the pomp of the past behind.

“Robert is exactly where he wants to be,” says Mick. “He no longer needs to have anything to do with Led Zeppelin and is in charge of his own destiny.

“More so than Paul McCartney, more so than Mick Jagger, more so than Roger Daltrey. Plant has really pulled it off.”

The West Bromwich singer’s current position in the music industry is largely due to Raising Sand, the hit album he released last year with country singer Alison Krauss, which was followed by a world tour.

But Plant, 60, also made the news in late 2007, thanks to a one-off reunion gig in London with Led Zeppelin.

Since then, rumours have abounded that he would team up with his other band mates for a full-blown tour of America.

Mick says that is highly unlikely.

“Anybody who has seen those wonderful shows Robert’s done with Alison Krauss knows he is so happy, so enjoying what he’s doing on the stage,” he argues.

“The music he’s playing at the moment has so much meaning for him, far more than singing old Led Zeppelin songs that he first sung when he was in his 20s.”

Mick says there is another important reason while Plant won’t be zooming off with the Zepp – the old gang are grumps.

“It’s far more fun working with Alison than working with people like Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin bass player John Paul Jones,” he says.

“They can be fairly joyless people at this point. Really hard work, very uphill.

“Everybody has got their own manager. Everybody has their own agenda.”

Mick has particularly harsh things to say about Page, even though he was once very close to the guitarist.

The two fell out when Mick decided to write his book about Led Zeppelin.

Initially, the rock writer attempted to persuade his old friend to get involved.

But Page refused and has even threatened to sue over the contents of the book. “It has been made plain through mutual friends that I’ve burned my bridges with him,” says Mick.

“But you know what? I’m 50 now.

“When I was 30, 35, even 40, it was very important for me to keep those doors open with Jimmy.

“But now it’s far less important.

“I’ve had 20 years of talking to him and I don’t really need to talk to him again.

“I know him almost too well. They say familiarity breeds contempt. I don’t think it’s turned into contempt by any means, but the novelty wore off a long time ago.”

Mick believes Page should follow Robert Plant’s lead, and start making fresh music which reflects the interests and anxieties of a man in his mid-60s.

However, he assumes this won’t happen, because Page remains obsessed with getting Led Zeppelin back on the road.

Mick even claims Page – who is infamously passionate about the writings of the late Midland occultist Aleister Crowley – has squandered his immense talent and now rarely plays guitar.

“Not because he’s brooding over the works of Crowley,” says Mick. “These days he’s far more likely to have a remote control in his hands.

“From what I’ve heard from mutual friends, he just sits watching football on the telly. Tragic, really.”

So it took him, what, ten, 15, 20 years to get over being star struck? The novelty of what? Being a friend? Having some self-respect? Still riding Robert's jockstrap, though, isn't he? Uuuuuugh, what a douchehbag.

Sorry, I don't agree that it's so much harder for Jimmy to launch a new band than for Robert. Jimmy's already got the songs he wants to play, he's got any number of people fighting for the chance to play/sing them with him--I don't see the problem. :blink: And any number of people, including Robert, Jonesy, Jason, and most of us, manage to have careers and raise families at the same time, even at a later point in life. It's not like he's 85. Though he will be by the time we get to hear him again, at this rate! :D

I just hope that he has a nice Christmas.

:santa:

Jimmy will surely spend a wonderful Christmas. :thumbsup:

He said in 2004 that ''Every Christmas we are all together, all the mums and all the children.We are a close-knit family." I think he loves his families sincerely.

And in addition he welcomed his granddaughter last year.

It is correct that he is personally sending a very happy life. He is also sure to consider about his project for the future. Self-styled friend's writer need not say meddling.

But why would the singer have to sound like Robert? Robert hasn't chosen guitar players who play the Zep tunes he does live to sound like Jimmy - in fact usually the songs are rearranged to sound quite different! Which I think pretty well works out great. I don't expect whoever will be singing in Jimmy's new band to sound like Robert - I think he should look for someone who has their own sound and do their own take on whatever Zep tunes they'd do live.

Sorry, I don't agree that it's so much harder for Jimmy to launch a new band than for Robert. Jimmy's already got the songs he wants to play, he's got any number of people fighting for the chance to play/sing them with him--I don't see the problem. :blink: And any number of people, including Robert, Jonesy, Jason, and most of us, manage to have careers and raise families at the same time, even at a later point in life. It's not like he's 85. Though he will be by the time we get to hear him again, at this rate! :D

Again, Page has been criticized for every singer he's chosen since Zeppelin, even a truly great singer such as Paul Rodgers. Certainly many, many singers would like to sing with him. But would the public give them a fair shake?

Furthermore, look at some other great non-singing guitarists, such as Brian May and Eddie Van Halen to name but two. Prolific solo careers for them outside of their band? No. It took reviving Queen with a new singer to really get Brian May going again, and it may take something similar for Jimmy, even if he wisely chooses not to use his old band's name (unlike May).

Again, Page has been criticized for every singer he's chosen since Zeppelin, even a truly great singer such as Paul Rodgers. Certainly many, many singers would like to sing with him. But would the public give them a fair shake?

Furthermore, look at some other great non-singing guitarists, such as Brian May and Eddie Van Halen to name but two. Prolific solo careers for them outside of their band? No. It took reviving Queen with a new singer to really get Brian May going again, and it may take something similar for Jimmy, even if he wisely chooses not to use his old band's name (unlike May).

i will never forgive brian may for that!

okay... i could find out - but why is john deacon not with them?

You are correct. As far as not following logic, I mean. The point Chicago is making is why is Jimmy being scrutinized for wasting his talent in comparison to Robert, while Robert is being praised ( for not wasting his talent :blink: ) when really ONE original album separates there output, since the end of Led Zeppelin. I believe Robert has released 2 more cover albums then Page in that time also.

Still not following. Robert has 7 original albums, 3 of covers, 2 with Jimmy and 2 compilations.

Jimmy has 4 original, 2 with Robert and 1 live w/ Black crows. In pure terms of output Robert exceeds Jimmy. It seems like you are not "counting" the covers the same as original music, which I agree with in theory, but I sure would like to have heard more from Jimmy whether covers or not. Acoustic would be cool too.

okay... i could find out - but why is john deacon not with them?

John has been much closer to Freddie in the Queen days, always.

He had not been very musical active since Freddie's death.

Later he decided to retire from the music business but gave Brian and Roger his blessing. Brian and Roger kept offering him the opportunity, but he kept being silent.

Still not following. Robert has 7 original albums, 3 of covers, 2 with Jimmy and 2 compilations.

Jimmy has 4 original, 2 with Robert and 1 live w/ Black crows. In pure terms of output Robert exceeds Jimmy. It seems like you are not "counting" the covers the same as original music, which I agree with in theory, but I sure would like to have heard more from Jimmy whether covers or not. Acoustic would be cool too.

Jimmy

1. Death wish...

2. The Firm...

3. The Firm, Mean business.

4. Outrider...

5. Coverdale/Page...

6. WIC

Think I may be forgetting something else also...

The live double c.d. with the Black Crowes in 1999. Lots of Zeppelin, but plenty of old blues and vintage rockers included.

Yeah, I was just pointing out that Robert has released a total of 1 album of original material more then Jimmy since Led Zeppelin. So I am not sure how that equates into Robert being so much more productive/creative. It's not really a good comparison IMO.

But why would the singer have to sound like Robert? Robert hasn't chosen guitar players who play the Zep tunes he does live to sound like Jimmy - in fact usually the songs are rearranged to sound quite different! Which I think pretty well works out great. I don't expect whoever will be singing in Jimmy's new band to sound like Robert - I think he should look for someone who has their own sound and do their own take on whatever Zep tunes they'd do live.

okay. one of my fave fantasy mashups would be tom waits on tour with jimmy page. they trott out a medley of old zep faves and tom truly does some justice to 'immigrant song'.

yeah. i can see it!

Yeah, I was just pointing out that Robert has released a total of 1 album of original material more then Jimmy since Led Zeppelin. So I am not sure how that equates into Robert being so much more productive/creative. It's not really a good comparison IMO.

Perhaps he was referring to the last 8 years or so - post what Jimmy did with the Black Crowes? I think you also have to factor in not just releasing albums but touring. Robert has been on the road significantly more throughout his solo career. But I'm not saying this to put it in a better or worse situation. Just offering a possible explanation to Mick's comment.

To me the important thing is to see Jimmy back out there soon!

Perhaps he was referring to the last 8 years or so - post what Jimmy did with the Black Crowes? I think you also have to factor in not just releasing albums but touring. Robert has been on the road significantly more throughout his solo career. But I'm not saying this to put it in a better or worse situation. Just offering a possible explanation to Mick's comment.

To me the important thing is to see Jimmy back out there soon!

I think it's fair to say that over the last 8 years fans are frustrated at Jimmy's productivity. To compare it to Robert is totally not relevant or necessary, unless you have some ulterior motive...say like...selling a book? Or to piss someone off maybe? To say Jimmy has no ambition but to watch football on TV (no matter what your take on this hobby) is a waste of his talent is IMO, a cheap shot. I am not going to argue the fact that Jimmy has not been productive. The past, has past. Looking forward, I can only hope he is more active.

I think it's fair to say that over the last 8 years fans are frustrated at Jimmy's productivity. To compare it to Robert is totally not relevant or necessary, unless you have some ulterior motive...say like...selling a book? Or to piss someone off maybe? To say Jimmy has no ambition but to watch football on TV (no matter what your take on this hobby) is a waste of his talent is IMO, a cheap shot. I am not going to argue the fact that Jimmy has not been productive. The past, has past. Looking forward, I can only hope he is more active.

Hurrah, we agree! :cheer:

Just because a lot of musicians are fighting for the chance to play with him, this doesn't mean that they're the right people. I think it's far more difficult for him, and not just because of him being a guitarist and not a singer... maybe it's because he needs to feel some special vibe, which is, I'm sure, extremely rare to find.

I would LOVE to see him on the road again, but not just because some fan wants him in a kind of the-dude-with-more-albums-wins-a-beer competition.

I will wait. While he watches tv, while he plays with his lovely granddaughter, while he spends his time doing what he likes...

Of course, if one day he's going to find the right people, I will be the happiest girl in the world.

Archived