Mick Wall Interview

Kentuckygirl

Some friend you turned out to be, Mick. You were never stopped from writing about him

in the past, but then you didn't have a book deal tempting you to divulge things said in confidence. A lot was said in 20 years, as you know, but your speaking of Jimmy now as if he were already dead.

By the way, since when does he give a toss about football?!

Seems that Mick has his own agenda on this one. No wonder why Jimmy threatened to sue him and wants nothing to do with the bloke.

Wall contradicts himself comparing Robert to Jimmy modern day. Now he is a life coach? Shame he missed his calling huh? :rolleyes:

I am sure Wall feels it was a waste of time for Jimmy to work on Led Zeppelin projects, living in the past an all...Even still...Is it anyone's business, (and it isn't) if the man wants to stare at the TV all day watching football? So much bitterness comes from a small man. How did he fit in for so long?

I sense bitterness here too.

I can say that, after reading this Wall interview, I am very glad that I stayed with the initial reaction I had when I read about this book - which was not to purchase or read it. Sickening. I can’t ever imagine betraying a friend in such a manner and I do wonder how people who betray friends (especially in such an open and public way) can live with themselves.

What Wall doesn’t seem to realize or understand (or maybe he does and that might account for some of his motivation in writing such a book) is that, for so many of us, whatever choices Jimmy has made, whatever he has done, and what he does (or doesn’t do) with his life hasn't diminished how we feel about him. I can’t imagine that anyone who crossed paths with Wall will, decades later, consider themselves blessed to have done so.

For my friends and me (and, I imagine, for many others), Jimmy Page always was and always will be the “Keeper of the Flame”. We’re all grown up now – we’ve fallen in love, married, gone to college, had children, had careers – but those dreamlike memories haven't gone away and Jimmy Page still, as one of my friends phrases it, “melts my heart to my soul”. Those memories and those feelings belong to us and they always will and no one, least of all someone like Wall peddling his book, can take them away from us.

:D I know, just want to make a joke.

And I have had too much mulled wine tonight :drunk:

You know what?

Even if the shit that this guy Mick and the groupies say about Jimmy is true...

I would hold his then management who made sure that he was good and wasted

out of his tree responsible... not him. What kind of management is that?

Besides, they suck at chemistry.

You take the e out of cocaine.... co.Cain

and you add the e to heroin Heroine B):)

And I retrieved proof of one of my missing piano exams from May 22, 1975.

I wonder if McGill University will be kind enough to cough up the rest...

You know what?

Even if the shit that this guy Mick and the groupies say about Jimmy is true...

I would hold his then management who made sure that he was good and wasted

out of his tree responsible... not him. What kind of management is that?

Besides, they suck at chemistry.

You take the e out of cocaine.... co.Cain

and you add the e to heroin Heroine B):)

And I retrieved proof of one of my missing piano exams from May 22, 1975.

I wonder if McGill University will be kind enough to cough up the rest...

can't argue with that :blink:

Mick Wall sounds jealous that he doesn't have any famous friends to rely on anymore.

Knife, meet back. If Jimmy ever was his friend, he should never go ripping on him like that. The contempt in the tone of his comments ruin the credibility of what he is saying.

And, who cares if JP enjoys watching soccer, fer chrissakes.

Jimmy Page's choices are his own responsibility and he was an adult at the time. Blaming the management is a cop-out.

He was under 30 which is a young adult for a male.

Blaming the management for getting him hooked on hard drugs is a cop out?

No, it's laying the blame exactly where it belongs.

If Mr Grant would have cared for him, he wouldn't have been making sure

he was ripped stoned all the time.

Besides, that pic of him with money sticking out of his nose and ears says it all.

My senses tell me they used him and his talent for personal gain.

Exactly, as an adult it is your responsibility to choose wisely. He could have taken issue with the management if they were a problem. He made those choices as an adult all by himself. Blaming them is a cop-out. He was definitely old enough to know better.

Besides, that pic of him with money sticking out of his nose and ears says it all.

Mr. Grant was an excellent manager as far as I know. Perhaps Jimmy Page should have taken better care of himself.

As for the photo, your interpretation may not be a correct one.

As far as personal gain, Peter Grant worked for a living just like everyone else.

I think Mick Wall did this to do the all important thing according to him and that is to sell more books. By dishing a lot of dirt on the band that was probably his motive a la Richard Cole and Stephen Davis. It could have been written a lot better (from what I'm hearing, as I haven't read it yet. Not sure if I will) and not included a lot of this tabloidish and exaggerated material.

I think Mick Wall did this to do the all important thing according to him and that is to see more books. By dishing a lot of dirt on the band that was probably his motive a la Richard Cole and Stephen Davis. It could have been written a lot better (from what I'm hearing, as I haven't read it yet. Not sure if I will) and not included a lot of this tabloidish and exaggerated material.

What do you mean by "his motive a la Richard Cole, and who is Stephen Davis?

You miss the point.

He wasn't the average lad.

He needed protection. Not exploitation.

He needed a rabbi, not a greedy manager. B):)

Then he should have chosen a rabbi. He was a grown man and could have protected himself if he had made better choices. Blaming the manager wouldn't solve his problem then and it won't solve anything now.

Any exploitation that may have occurred in his situation was something that he entered into freely as an adult. If not, he would have legal recourse.

His manager, Peter Grant, may not have been all that greedy, and may have been protective at times.

Learned helplessness on the part of an adult is not the same as someone who is too young to know better.

One, the Crowley reference at the end of the interview seems totally irrelevant to anything, and two, and I hate to find myself citing Halfin as a source here, but I remember him saying in his diary, during the last World Cup (or maybe the previous one), that he was sick of it, not least because even Jimmy had asked him if he'd seen the Argentina (I think) match the night before. So maybe Jimmy's developed an interest in football in recent years. I know, this is probably the least important aspect of the interview, but just thought I'd mention it.

No, it's laying the blame exactly where it belongs.

Sorry to say that, but blaming Peter Grant for Jimmy's addiction is a bit too much.

As EL said, Jimmy was an adult who made his own decision.

Every band members had access to drugs back then but Robert and Jonesy didn't become addicted, Jimmy could have done the same but he didn't.

And I think Grant DID care for them, a lot.

If you know the book of Richard Cole and Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis, you'll know what he means.

I heard of Hammer, and I didn't know Richard wrote a book.

I had only one book... ummm... damn, can't remember the author... Ritchie someone...

anyhow, the only details that stuck with me was the descriptioon

of how Jimmy took care of his property.

His love for the land. That stuck with me forever.

I even took the book to the Passover Seder. Kept it on my lap.

My mother wanted to throttle me.

Sorry to say that, but blaming Peter Grant for Jimmy's addiction is a bit too much.

As EL said, Jimmy was an adult who made his own decision.

Every band members had access to drugs back then but Robert and Jonesy didn't become addicted, Jimmy could have done the same but he didn't.

And I think Grant DID care for them, a lot.

Mr. Biological Research was having a bit of trouble with the configuration.

He was looking for answers in the wrong places.

Even still, why didn't they try to help him...

and did Grant not get him hooked in the first place?

DID? Dead in diagnosis.

One, the Crowley reference at the end of the interview seems totally irrelevant to anything, and two, and I hate to find myself citing Halfin as a source here, but I remember him saying in his diary, during the last World Cup (or maybe the previous one), that he was sick of it, not least because even Jimmy had asked him if he'd seen the Argentina (I think) match the night before. So maybe Jimmy's developed an interest in football in recent years. I know, this is probably the least important aspect of the interview, but just thought I'd mention it.

Hey Aqua, since you've already brought up Halfin's site here B) , he wrote several days ago that he had also read Mick Wall's book and "Mick's done a good job apart from the bit about the 02 show", well we all know Ross is close to Jimmy ( B) once more). Is he being sarcastic again or meaning it seriously?

Archived