AMA Awards 11/23/08

Virginia

Can you give us a brief description of what he said about Led Zep? I can't stand to listen to that buck-toothed moron.

I was only half paying attention but he was referencing how bands like Zep were so huge in the 70s and that his generation of rap/hip hop artists should strive to be bigger than the Beatles.

(FireOpal @ Nov 24 2008, 05:09 PM)

Can you give us a brief description of what he said about Led Zep? I can't stand to listen to that buck-toothed moron.

I was only half paying attention but he was referencing how bands like Zep were so huge in the 70s and that his generation of rap/hip hop artists should strive to be bigger than the Beatles.

Yes, that's pretty much it. Just a passing reference; I heard it out of my peripheral hearing too. I tried to find a transcript of what he said but couldn't find it.

It was very minor but I thought it might be of interest. :)

P.S. Sorry I have screwed up the quotes :(

I didn't hear his reference to Led Zeppelin - I was definitely not glued to the tube for the entire program. However, I did hear him accepting some other award and he said that last year when he won it it was for some person or other, this year it's for another person, and "next year? who knows!". That like to made me barf - what arrogance. I also caught part of his "performance" (term used very loosely). Obviously there are a great many people who like Kanye and his particular brand of music; just doesn't crank my bobber.

What a crappy show overall. Seemed like a cheap Vegas stage show from Madon....oh, excuse me, whoever that was at the beginning, right up until toward the end. I have to admit I did rather enjoy Sarah M & Pink's duet, which was about the only actual music I recall seeing or hearing from the other room. Nice to see Annie Lennox, too. Any other high points escape me at the moment or I didn't catch them. Did I miss anything good???

Jeez, just can't wait til next years AMA's!

(sarcasm there, folks).

:lol:

I don't blame you. What an asshole. :rolleyes:

Yep, I do like one or two hip hop artists but he is not one of them. I had tuned him out until I heard "Led Zeppelin". But putting himself (and other similar artists) in the same category (or above) as Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Beatles and Elvis was, IMO, egomaniacal and just plain wrong. <_<

My kids listen to a lot of rap/hip hop so I have tried to have an open mind about it, and do like and appreciate some of it. But I just don't see it having contributed anywhere near as much to music in terms of fundamentals, innovation, technique; nor do I see it having the longevity.

Yep, I do like one or two hip hop artists but he is not one of them. I had tuned him out until I heard "Led Zeppelin". But putting himself (and other similar artists) in the same category (or above) as Zeppelin, Hendrix, the Beatles and Elvis was, IMO, egomaniacal and just plain wrong. <_<

My kids listen to a lot of rap/hip hop so I have tried to have an open mind about it, and do like and appreciate some of it. But I just don't see it having contributed anywhere near as much to music in terms of fundamentals, innovation, technique; nor do I see it having the longevity.

I don't care for rap/hip hop either nor much of today's music. However, rap/hip hop surprisingly has been around for over 20 years (I remember the Sugar Hill gang & thought it was a fad) and it doesn't appear it will be going away anytime soon.

I don't bother to watch the music awards show anymore; was Kanye making that statement in context that rap/hip hop would overtake what legends like LZ, Cream, Hendrix, the Beatles have accomplished or is it that he hoped that rap/hip hop would be viewed in the same aura so to speak?

I don't care for rap/hip hop either nor much of today's music. However, rap/hip hop surprisingly has been around for over 20 years (I remember the Sugar Hill gang & thought it was a fad) and it doesn't appear it will be going away anytime soon.

I don't bother to watch the music awards show anymore; was Kanye making that statement in context that rap/hip hop would overtake what legends like LZ, Cream, Hendrix, the Beatles have accomplished or is it that he hoped that rap/hip hop would be viewed in the same aura so to speak?

I took it as him saying they would become legendary like (or more legendary than) those classic rock bands.

To me, it's apples and oranges though; a totally different style of music. It would be the same as if, say, Toby Keith had said the same thing.

He was saying that the artist of today should be more like hero's or legends in their own time, then these thugs, or sluts, or plan ass posers that are producing music today.

Kanye is an cocky son of a bitch, but his last album is really is good. It was hip hop, but it was more music than lyrics. Everything flowed together just like how every Zep album flowed together. Zep pushed the boundaries of music, while being in good taste, IMHO, Kanye has pushed the boundaries or atleast soften the wall between Hip hop and rock.

Remember when hip hop back in the early 90's was something more about than how rich they are, or how good they fuck. I think Kanye is slowly pushing it back into that direction.

He was saying that the artist of today should be more like hero's or legends in their own time, then these thugs, or sluts, or plan ass posers that are producing music today.

Kanye is an cocky son of a bitch, but his last album is really is good. It was hip hop, but it was more music than lyrics. Everything flowed together just like how every Zep album flowed together. Zep pushed the boundaries of music, while being in good taste, IMHO, Kanye has pushed the boundaries or atleast soften the wall between Hip hop and rock.

Remember when hip hop back in the early 90's was something more about than how rich they are, or how good they fuck. I think Kanye is slowly pushing it back into that direction.

I agree with you, his last album is really good. I heard for the first time, a couple days ago and I really liked it. I've never been a fan of rap and usually don't like Hip hop but I've put this one of my "must buy" list. IMO, Kanye has grown over the years as an artist and many years from now will be looked back on as one of the "Greats".

Kanye West was also victorious, winning Favorite Male Rap/Hip-Hop Artist and Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album for Graduation. For someone who always complains when he doesn’t win an award, West is making it a tradition of giving away the awards he actually does win, with West telling the crowd, “And I want to give this award to [Lil] Wayne, for this year. If it was last year, this would have been my award.” West also ranted during another acceptance speech “We’re going to push this music to the point where it was like in the ’60s, in the ’70s, where you talk about Led Zeppelin and Hendrix and the Beatles. We will be the new Beatles, the new Hendrix,” and capped his big night with a performance of 808s & Heartbreak’s “Heartless.”

:lol:

RollingStone.

Imagine that.... Thirty some odd years almost to the day the Vatican forgives John Lennon for saying the Beatles are more important than Jesus Christ, Kanye West says rappers and hip hop artists should strive to be bigger than the Beatles. Let's see, John Lennon, Kanye West... John Lennon, Kanye West... I get it! He's more popular than John Lennon! Haha! The irony, eh? :slapface: Please, somebody just shut this moron up! But then again, maybe it should be taken as a compliment.... NAHHH. :blink:

if you think about it...it's actually a compliment

Exactly, why all the hate?

I don't really know his music but it seems to me that he's very dedicated into creating good and innovative music, and if that's true he's got my deepest respect for it no matter what kind of music he plays/sings. B)

Exactly, why all the hate?

I don't really know his music but it seems to me that he's very dedicated into creating good and innovative music, and if that's true he's got my deepest respect for it no matter what kind of music he plays/sings. B)

I don't hate but he is a cocky overrated "artist." Most of these hip-hop stars suck and I can't stand how the media sucks up to them. Their selling tons of albums just proves my point: the world is mostly full of dumb asses who will except anything thrown at them by MTV and such. A perfect example is Rolling Stone magazine. Lots of people believe whatever they say is the bible. What a joke!

are rap musicians not allowed to pass compliments then?

Having rap and musician in the same sentence is an oxymoron...

Rap died about 1986 or 1987. It originally had something to say, but nothing new has been said since then, so that's why I say it's not music... it's reproducing sounds of the environment (other people's art) and brought value back then...

(Fat Boys (novelty), Beasties, Fresh Prince, Biz Markie and Run DMC were for fun... Public Enemy, Africa Bambatta, Boogie Down Productions, Ice T, NWA etc had social and political references/commentaries to share... LLCool J was even melodic and focused on the R&B side of things...

..., but since then, it's been the same gold chain wearing, baggy pants wearing, gold teeth, degradation of women, cursing, rehashing of the same beats, samples, noise and music industry's promotion to keep it in the mainstream to sell clothes, watches, fragrances, tv shows, cars, etc... (nothing else , but to keep it a cash cow)... Last week, Snoop Dog was on Martha Stewart cooking segment (really sad)....

That's not music.... that's a brand...

The record industry has pushed the rap brand into country and into rock (a la kid rock and the like)...

Let's face it, there's music (Bach, Beethoven, Dizzy Gillespie, Etta James, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, BB King, Santana, Beatles, Stones, Who, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, U2, RUSH, The Police, Luther Vandross, James Brown, Prince, Michael Jackson (yes... even him , too), Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, John Mayer, Lenny Kravitz, etc...)

...and then there's rap...

R B)

^ Great post reids, I agree with every word you said...I can't believe people call this crap music...

Thanks, Adi. :)

You said it...

cRAP

The word itself says it all....

the AMAs, a creation of Dick Clark Productions, have turned into nothing but a showcase for top 40 radio (pop, rap and new country/pop)...

R B)

Having rap and musician in the same sentence is an oxymoron...

Rap died about 1986 or 1987. It originally had something to say, but nothing new has been said since then, so that's why I say it's not music... it's reproducing sounds of the environment (other people's art) and brought value back then...

(Fat Boys (novelty), Beasties, Fresh Prince, Biz Markie and Run DMC were for fun... Public Enemy, Africa Bambatta, Boogie Down Productions, Ice T, NWA etc had social and political references/commentaries to share... LLCool J was even melodic and focused on the R&B side of things...

..., but since then, it's been the same gold chain wearing, baggy pants wearing, gold teeth, degradation of women, cursing, rehashing of the same beats, samples, noise and music industry's promotion to keep it in the mainstream to sell clothes, watches, fragrances, tv shows, cars, etc... (nothing else , but to keep it a cash cow)... Last week, Snoop Dog was on Martha Stewart cooking segment (really sad)....

That's not music.... that's a brand...

The record industry has pushed the rap brand into country and into rock (a la kid rock and the like)...

Let's face it, there's music (Bach, Beethoven, Dizzy Gillespie, Etta James, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, BB King, Santana, Beatles, Stones, Who, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, U2, RUSH, The Police, Luther Vandross, James Brown, Prince, Michael Jackson (yes... even him , too), Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, John Mayer, Lenny Kravitz, etc...)

...and then there's rap...

R B)

Would you agree that there's bad rock music too?

Because I think there is, just as there's bad and good rap.

I do think that most of the mainstream hip-hop is really shallow, but still, that's no reason to say that hip-hop isn't music or a music genre just because you don't like it...

B)

Archived