Led Zeppelin top poll as The Greatest Live Act Ever

Mudbugclub

Led Zeppelin top a poll as ‘The Greatest Live Act Ever’ on www.thisdayinmusic.com

During the past four weeks This Day in Music.com ran a poll asking “Who has been the greatest live act ever” collecting thousands of votes from all over the world.

Results:

1, Led Zeppelin

2, Queen

3, Pink Floyd

4, Bruce Springsteen

5, The Who

6, The Rolling Stones

7, U2

8, Radiohead

9, AC/DC

10, Guns N’ Roses

11, Nirvana

12, Rush

13, David Bowie

14, Grateful Dead

15, Dave Matthews Band

16, Prince

17, The Beatles

18, Oasis

19, Pearl Jam

20, Metallica

Just outside the Top 20 were:

Aerosmith, Status Quo, Jane’s Addiction, Coldplay, Muse, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix and The Clash.

Madonna was the highest placed female being voted in at No. 30.

The only other female acts to receive large numbers of votes were Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Beyonce.

Other acts who received a high number of votes included:

Rick Astley, Michael Jackson, Spinal Tap and The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

I have seen the Highlighted bands. Not that I thought all were worthy of the Greatest Live Acts Ever.

Alice Cooper, when he was with the original band, on their "Killer" Tour.... was one of the best Live Acts I ever saw. Zeppelin had INCREDIBLE shows all through their touring. I'm baised towrd them, and so I have no problem with them being #1. :elvis2:

I beg to differ (they were the opposite of epic in that they were extremely short sets, for one thing, like all bands did in those days)--doesn't alter my point that most of the people who voted for them had no live experience of them to base their vote on.

Ha Ha Ha Ha...........Lynyrd Skynyrd blew the The Who AND the Stones away ? HA HA HA HA....Now that really is Stupid..........Where did that happen, Dreamland ?......It's a free world..you can think what you like....But imo.. You're wrong.

lynyrd skynyrd opened up for the who in 1973 in the usa,and blew them away.i did'nt say that,pete townsend and roger daltrey did.they also opened up for the stones at knebworth in 1976,and the stones almost canceled their gig because skynyrd played so well,they did'nt think they could follow them.also jagger tried to sue skynyrd for saying they blew the stones off the stage.google it!you'll find it!

Hi 'bigledzepfan1963'

All that matters is what they did for you, and the 1976 show at Knebworth blew me away they took the biscuit that day for sure.

Regards, Danny

PS. Rory Gallagher was another great musician and showman who deserves a mention in the top 10, in my opinion.

As good as Floyd were and as big a fan I am of them, they were not that good of a live act. Perhaps the 87-88 and 94 tours were good, but most will agree..that wasn't Pink Floyd.

Not having seen them live, I can only comment via people I know who have and have said they were pretty amazing. It's more theater in a sense than a rock concert.

^ I've heard the same..and I have "Pulse," which isn't a bad live album at all. I have heard numerous boots from the 1970s, especially before they brought on stage backing musicians and they weren't that good. As a 4 piece, they lacked alot of their "wall of sound" element they had in the studio..which of course improved once they brought in session players to back them up when performing.

^ I've heard the same..and I have "Pulse," which isn't a bad live album at all. I have heard numerous boots from the 1970s, especially before they brought on stage backing musicians and they weren't that good. As a 4 piece, they lacked alot of their "wall of sound" element they had in the studio..which of course improved once they brought in session players to back them up when performing.

That can be an issue with a band that has a really lush sound on record - recreating that live when you don't have other musicians to create the layers can be a challenge. Then again, Jimmy was quite able to make his guitar on stage sound like an army of players :D

this is missing the allman brothers band somewhere imo

Led Zeppelin is #1 for sure but The Allman Bros are top 5 material IMO.... Their current shows when they play are superb , and Warren Haynes ( and Derek Trucks , heck the whole band ) is a musician's musician.

Obviously you haven't seen a Dave Mat concert. I'm not a huge fan of their music, but their concerts are a spectacle to be apart of. Next to Pearl Jam, probably the closest thing to an old school "Grateful Dead-type atmosphere" you can get. Just a helluva good party.

How did the Beatles come in at no. 17, when they did so few live gigs I'm willing to bet virtually nobody who voted in the poll actually saw them live? :huh: As for the others--well, it's all a matter of taste, I guess.

Just watch the rooftop session and you will understand why :)

Just watch the rooftop session and you will understand why :)

*sigh*

I've seen the rooftop session, numerous times. It wasn't a live show, it was one song done specifically for the cameras, in the hope the cops would show up. It's a lot of fun. And I'm betting that in that particular case NOBODY who voted for the Beatles as best live band in that poll was there.

Anybody who saw them in their Hamburg days, I'd be prepared to concede to. But I bet that's not who voted in that poll.

Led Zeppelin is #1 for sure but The Allman Bros are top 5 material IMO.... Their current shows when they play are superb , and Warren Haynes ( and Derek Trucks , heck the whole band ) is a musician's musician.

I seen The Brothers over a dozen times since 1994. These guys are the real deal live they are one of the best live acts you will ever see. This is IMO.

Hi 'bigledzepfan1963'

All that matters is what they did for you, and the 1976 show at Knebworth blew me away they took the biscuit that day for sure.

Regards, Danny

PS. Rory Gallagher was another great musician and showman who deserves a mention in the top 10, in my opinion.

I only seen Skynyrd after they got back together (5 or 6 times since 87), but they put on one hell of a show. To say that the blew The Stones off stage back in 76 doesn't surprise me at all. Skynyrd has a very strong fan base and the band goes out of the way to please their fans.

RIP Billy Powell

Archived