RIP Michael Lee

ocean

This is so very sad.

For some reason or other Jonesy wasn't on it, but I must say I loved the No Quarter project, and one of the things I liked best about it was Lee's drumming. It was a fresh approach, extremely energetic, and quite daring at times.

Just a great loss.

Rest in peace, Michael.

A sad day indeed. I've got several sets of drumsticks Michael used in concert, propelling Page/Plant around the world from '95-98. Each them bear dozens of impact marks from hitting his kit, silent survivors of his ferocious, energetic performances. I can't believe he

is gone. I know I'll never forget him so long as I live.

Drummer Michael Lee passed away yesterday morning (Monday, November 24).

Lee, best known for his work with ROBERT PLANT, LENNY KRAVITZ, THIN LIZZY, THE CULT and THE QUIREBOYS, was just 39 years old. Daniel Stanton of Coallier Entertainment, which has worked with THIN LIZZY in the past, said in a statement that was released to BLABBERMOUTH.NET, "Michael was an amazing drummer and equally an amazing person. He will truly be missed. Our prayers go out to his family."

Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=109587

I know I've already spoken in this thread, but hours later I still feel like I've been kicked in the stomach hard. This is hard to take, though I never met Michael personally I still feel as though I've lost a best friend.

Watching him bash the skins in the way he did, always energetic and happy, was just as much of a joy as watching Jimmy and Robert do their thing.

Damn it all to hell. :(

Goodbye, Michael. And THANK YOU.

It's 6pm Pacific in the USA and so far the only sources I see are Blabbermouth.net and a Zeppelin blog.. and wiki.

There is an established pattern of blog posts reappearing as news on infotainment sites.

I'm not getting emo till I hear it from the horses mouth

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry291981

I'm not getting emo till I hear it from the horses mouth

We would all love to be proven wrong.

I know I've already spoken in this thread, but hours later I still feel like I've been kicked in the stomach hard. This is hard to take, though I never met Michael personally I still feel as though I've lost a best friend.

A best friend will always be there in spirit to comfort you.

Edited by eternal light

I am still processing this too. When I was at work today, I received an email with "Michael Lee" in the subject line. My first thought was "not that Michael Lee". I didn't make the connection until I saw that the sender was one of my friends from here on the board and I read the words "Page" and "Plant" in the message. So sad and tragic and unexpected. He was an amazing and energetic drummer.

My husband and I last saw him perform when he was playing with (the new) Thin Lizzy and was touring with DP and Satriani, about three or four years ago. One of my friends was given a backstage pass to one of the shows and he later told me that he met Michael Lee and described him as a funny and nice guy. He also said that one of the musicians later told him that he really enjoyed touring with Michael. I don't know what happened or if it is in any way connected to Michael's passing but the tour was cut short because Michael was suffering health problems.

My deepest condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Michael Lee.

MLTLDT.jpg

MLTLDTII.jpg

michaelleevf7.jpg

By kimmtorres

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sad news: Drummer Michael Lee has died

I've just learned of the unexpected passing of drummer Michael Lee, who collaborated with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant on tour and in the studio for several years.

Michael drummed for Robert Plant beginning with the recording of his 1993 album Fate of Nations. He can be heard on that album's "Memory Song (Hello Hello)" and "Network News."

Robert Plant asked him to go on tour as the drummer for his tour, and he gladly accepted. They spent some time opening for Lenny Kravitz on that tour. Led Zeppelin's singer was closing his sets with "Whole Lotta Love," and Michael Lee was a major part of it all.

A keen sense of timing is one thing a good drummer should have. Michael's was great since Robert Plant's next career move was to reteam with Jimmy Page. Half of Led Zeppelin was playing regularly for the first time in 15 years and, Michael was along for the ride. He drummed for the Unledded sessions and promoted the No Quarter album release with Page and Plant.

As Page and Plant then took their band on tour for the next year, Lee may have been the world's most-watched drummer. They trotted across the globe and packed houses while they put a new twist on Led Zeppelin's music with local orchestras and an assembly of Lebanese, Egyptian and Moroccan musicians. But when they were just a fourpiece playing Led Zeppelin songs, they were very much like Led Zeppelin.

Whoever filmed this rare live rendition of "Achilles Last Stand" played in Japan in 1996 liked getting shots of Michael Lee's rat-a-tat-tat.

The one thing Page and Plant hadn't done with their new group that whole time was write some new material. Finally, Michael got the chance to participate in some songwriting sessions in 1997. As a result, he and bassist Charlie Jones are credited alongside Page and Plant as co-writing every song on Walking into Clarksdale. The scaled-down fourpiece band embarked on a tour in 1998 to support this album.

The two times I saw Michael Lee play live were during this tour, on July 7 and 10. Thanks to some videos, I've also been able to enjoyed several other shows with Michael Lee on drums. My favorite memory of his drumming is how he threw himself into the quick drum solo at the end of "Rock and Roll" so much that he once accidentally hit his forehead with a drum stick. Then he was joking about it before the next show to fans, and he jokingly compared the lump on his head to the ones Bugs Bunny would get in the cartoons.

It was just before some 1999 tour dates that Robert Plant slipped away from Page and took Charlie Jones with him. Michael Lee evidently stayed with Jimmy Page, as Lee was there for the very next live appearance with Page, which took place in October 1999 at Net Aid. They unveiled a new instrumental at that show, "Domino," and to this date, it stands as the only original number Page has released since Walking into Clarksdale. Since Michael Lee was there for that too, it's pretty clear how important he was in the ongoing story of Led Zeppelin's former members in the 1990s.

Michael Lee, also known as Michael Gary Pearson, will be missed.

This news pretty much wiped out any other interests today for me. :( If ever anybody seemed so full of life it was Michael, the happiest-looking drummer I ever saw. But I didn't know he'd had health problems, as MSG mentioned.

He'll be remembered with great affection, that's for sure.

Just heard this...so sad...I personally liked Lee's drumming very much. I heard he had just turned 39.

He will be missed.

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Sorry that I've been away from the Forum, I just got out of the hospital tonight after being there a few days with Pneumonia. A friend of mine told me about Michael Lee's death while I was staying in the hospital. I must say, I am TOTALLY SHOCKED and am in TOTAL DISBELIEF. I guess that I am still going through a denial period mentally over Lee's death and it still hasn't registered yet in my mind. Michael Lee was so young and so talented and still had so much to give musically. Losing Michael Lee is another major loss to Rock n' Roll. R.I.P. Michael Lee. ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

When I first heard the news of the p/p reunion I said to myself, oh my god, who can fill bonzo's shoes?

First it was songs on the radio. Awesome I thought. Sounds great. Who is this guy???

Next was the unledded mtv video. That's when I first actually saw him and I had a smile from ear to ear. I remember thinking to myself this guy and charlie jones are THE luckiest guys in the world. It was so obvious from that video that he was the perfect choice for that project. New renditions of old zep tunes. Redone completely and done so well. And obviously someone who appreciates where is he is at the moment. Where noone has gone before.

Then the unledded tour. How amazing and incredible was that. Nothing like I have ever seen. So amazing that I just said the hell with it and took the next few days off of work and went to see the boston show. From there I caught as many as possible. I always said the guy drumming is just amazing. Not the rockem sockem style of bonzo, but different, full of both energy and sound.

The clarksdale tour was even better for him. he didn't share the spotlight with the egyption ensemble. He was again amazing. I thought much faster and may more rocking than unledded.

I always wondered where he went, if he was playing with anyone. Now he is in the heavens playing with so many greats(I like to think so anyway).

RIP Mr. Lee. You will always be remembered and missed by many.