Blessed art thou

And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners

now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

mary_praying_cross.jpgmichaellee.jpg

Rest in peace, Michael Lee,

November 19, 1969 - November 24, 2008.

I've just learned of the unexpected passing of drummer Michael Lee, who collaborated with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant on tour and in the studio for several years.

Michael drummed for Robert Plant beginning with the recording of his 1993 album Fate of Nations. He can be heard on that album's "Memory Song (Hello Hello)" and "Network News."

Robert Plant asked him to go on tour as the drummer for his tour, and he gladly accepted. They spent some time opening for Lenny Kravitz on that tour. Led Zeppelin's singer was closing his sets with "Whole Lotta Love," and Michael Lee was a major part of it all.

A keen sense of timing is one thing a good drummer should have. Michael's was great since Robert Plant's next career move was to reteam with Jimmy Page. Half of Led Zeppelin was playing regularly for the first time in 15 years and, Michael was along for the ride. He drummed for the Unledded sessions and promoted the No Quarter album release with Page and Plant.

As Page and Plant then took their band on tour for the next year, Lee may have been the world's most-watched drummer. They trotted across the globe and packed houses while they put a new twist on Led Zeppelin's music with local orchestras and an assembly of Lebanese, Egyptian and Moroccan musicians. But when they were just a fourpiece playing Led Zeppelin songs, they were very much like Led Zeppelin.

The one thing Page and Plant hadn't done with their new group that whole time was write some new material. Michael got the chance to participate in some songwriting sessions in 1997. As a result, he and bassist Charlie Jones are credited alongside Page and Plant as co-writing every song on Walking into Clarksdale. The scaled-down fourpiece band embarked on a tour in 1998 to support this album.

It was just before some 1999 tour dates that Robert Plant slipped away from Page and took Charlie Jones with him. Michael Lee evidently stayed with Jimmy Page, as Lee was there for the very next live appearance with Page, which took place in October 1999 at Net Aid. They unveiled a new instrumental at that show, "Domino," and to this date, it stands as the only original number Page has released since Walking into Clarksdale. Since Michael Lee was there for that too, it's pretty clear how important he was in the ongoing story of Led Zeppelin's former members in the 1990s.

Michael Lee will be missed.

Source: Steve "The Lemon" Sauer's Blog

http://lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/2008/1...e-has-died.html

Michael Lee is a world famous drummer who has played with a number of well known bands. His resume includes ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Guns 'N' Roses, the Cult, Lenny Kravitz, Thin Lizzy, and Echo and the Bunnymen. He was invited by Robert Plant to be part of the "Fate of Nations" World Tour which eventually led to the development of Page & Plant. Most recently Michael Lee toured with Jeff Martin and played drums on Jeff's new solo album, Exile and the Kingdom.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=94928502

I can't believe it. :(

Michael Lee was an awesome drummer, to say the least. I had the pleasure of watching him play in person a few times, and he always looked so happy and energetic.

Anyone know how this happened? He was just WAY too young.

RIP, Michael. You will indeed be missed terribly.

Just heard this...so sad...I personally liked Lee's drumming very much. I heard he had just turned 39.

He will be missed.

hey all...........I had the pleasure of being Michaels tech for some very fun tour's mostly doing double duty with my regular employer Ian Paice.......... many laughs were had, many..............he was such a funny guy.

just wanted to add a footnnote........to the P&P split .......Charlie went with Plant as Plant was his father in law....

a sad day for all of us really.

S

So sad. I talked with Michael briefly many years ago. He will be greatly missed. My prayers and condolences go out to all of his family, close friends and the lives that he touched (and continues to touch through his memory and music).

R B)

I'm just horrified, I was reading posts about him here just the other day and wondering what he was up to these days.

This is awful news, just horrible.

ya know what? so was I, and then i went on you tube to check some old P/P bootlegs...he really was fantastic and will be missed. I had heard that he worked on Page with various demos throught the years, and sadly nothing came of it except for Domino.

I had heard he had substance issues(along with Page) that caused Plant to walk away from P/P.

I hope this was NOT the case in his sad demise.

R.I.P.

This is very sad. 39 is so young.

I attended the 29/02/96 Page/Plant show in Melbourne.

Friends who went to the show the next night said Michael Lee played (the encores I think) dressed as a rabbit.

He enjoyed a laugh and had a sense of humour if this is anything to go by.

RIP

Archived