RIP Michael Lee

ocean

"The guys in THIN LIZZY are crushed, I have spoken to people in the Robert Plant camp who have also expressed the same. "

I expect Robert or Jimmy will say something at some point, even if not as an "official statement"--they may be waiting until the funeral, or afterwards.

I expect Robert or Jimmy will say something at some point, even if not as an "official statement"--they may be waiting until the funeral, or afterwards.

Why is an official statement needed ? I think them attending the funeral should suffice in showing their respects for a friend and fellow musician.

Why is an official statement needed ? I think them attending the funeral should suffice in showing their respects for a friend and fellow musician.

That's what I meant. That they don't need to issue an official statement (a faintly ridiculous idea, in fact).

In case someone wanted to send condolences.

I would guess they will forward on any that come after the funeral today to Michael's family.

"Funeral services for British drummer Michael Lee (ROBERT PLANT, LENNY KRAVITZ, THIN LIZZY, THE CULT, LITTLE ANGELS, THE QUIREBOYS) will be held on Wednesday, December 3 at 10:45 a.m. at Darlington Crematorium in Darlington, England. All flowers and cards can be sent to:"

John Meynell Funeral Service

150 North Road

Darlington

County Durham, DL1 2EJ

United Kingdom

This is on the site I posted earlier that is collecting tributes:

02.12.2008 : paul toogood wrote

The following quote is from Robert Plant.

Michael was the rhythm bridge between the 70's and the 21st Century.

On the work which was not original, he had a tough gig to visit Bonham

driven classics and present his own imprint. He mastered and

transfigured, introducing an inherent swing mixed up with his drum and

bass leanings - he always encouraged. His ideas were sharp and

bright. It was not unusual for him to rehearse with Page, Plant and

Charlie Jones in London until 6p.m. then spend 4 hours heading to

Liverpool to set up his kit to accompany a midnight DJ mixers session

- always cutting loose - looking for a new way. I lost him years ago

and I regret it. - Robert Plant

Here are some more tributes posted by Paul Toogood (Echo and the Bunnymen):

The following quote is from Guy Pratt.

Michael was quite simply one of the best drummers I ever worked with. He was filled with a completely infectious enthusiasm that made you glad to be there.

His playing was just so exuberant and always felt completely natural, and he had just the most fantastic swing. He would always completely immerse himself in whichever artist he was working with, perhaps a little too much for his own good even.

Request removal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This quote is from Nigel Hoyle.

I met Michael in 2004 and was struck by his amazing talent. He seemed

to drum entirely on intuition, as if the drums were his best voice. I

played bass guitar on a number of tracks with him and it was one of

the highlights of my recording career. Most drummers provide a

"pocket" for the bass player to "sit" in, in Michael's case it was a

bucket! He flattered the players around him greatly with his art. Off

the kit he was a sweet guy but he had his weaknesses. Beauty does have

a price, and for Michael it was dear. God Bless you Michael.

Nigel Hoyle

Request removal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This quote is from Billy Duffy / The Cult

"In the relatively short time we worked together Michael showed a huge appetite for life, love and rock n roll and I feel he enjoyed every minute of his time here on earth."

Billy Duffy

Request removal

This quote is from Mark Taylor.

I first met Micheal in Zurich at a time when he was playing with

Robert Plant. He was impressive and charming and i was delighted to

find myself playing alongside him with The Bunnymen a few years later.

I was blown away by what a drummer he was. He had these huge sticks

and a monster kit but he could control it which was the important thing.

He had a finesse to his playing and he

could whip up a storm when it was required with a drive that

inspired me to say that he was possibly the best

drummer i had ever played live on stage with.

Socially he was a man with a big heart and i valued his friendship

very much in when we worked together.

When we finished our stint with the band i always hoped we would work

together again. I did try to make this happen, but itwas not to be.

Apart from a few warm, fleeting exchanges back stage after a few

shows from time to time we lost contact and here we are today lamenting the passing of a life cut short far too soon.

Request removal

02.12.2008 : David Cameron-Pryde wrote

I had the pleasure of working with Michael on an album entitled 'My own worst enemy' for a brilliant singer songwriter Jason Kelly (aka Kealer) straight after Michael's period with echo and the bunnymen. Michael was without doubt the most talented drummer any of us had ever worked with and I involve some very high level company in that statement. Michael could listen to a song that he had never heard before, tell you the mood that he was feeling the drums should put across, listen again to imprint the structure in his head and then go in the booth and do 2 takes (1 as actual, and the second as a back-up if needed) and that would be it, job done, and absolutely brilliantly.

Michael stayed with us in the same hotel in Henley and we had some genuinely funny times,some of his sayings still live on in our circle who were involved in the project "Did you chip him Staggy"!

A true talent and a guy with a genuine good heart, my thoughts go out to mikes family, a terrible shock and loss, god bless and RIP.

Request removal

02.12.2008 : nigel eaton wrote

Michael was an amazing drummer, when I wasn't playing my numbers tracks I'd stand at the side of the stage and watch him, what terrific power and finesse, a genius, I feel fortunate to have got the chance to play with him as he was the best, he was very easy and light-hearted company which made the tour tremendous fun. I wish we'd caught up afterwards as it would have been the usual hilarity. I use his jokes and sayings to this day, what a terrible shock. Bye mate

Request removal

The site is www.lastingtribute.co.uk

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/3948...ral_of_drummer/

Guitar legend at funeral of drummer

A ROCK legend was in the North-East yesterday to say farewell to one of the most talented drummers of his generation.

More than 150 mourners, including Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page, braved the arctic conditions to pay their respects to drummer Michael Lee, who played with bands including the revived Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith and Guns ‘N’ Roses.

Darlington-born Mr Lee, 39, who was born Michael Gary Pearson, played with Page when he reunited with Led Zeppelin’s front man Robert Plant.

The funeral was held at Darlington Crematorium.

Mr Lee, who was epileptic, was found dead at his flat on Tuesday last week. A postmortem examination revealed he died of a seizure.

Floral tributes were left by Led Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant, who wrote: “What a waste. Too soon. I’m so sorry, I always enjoyed your enthusiasm and ideas. Robert P”.

Tony Jepson, lead singer of the Little Angels – the Scarborough band Mr Lee started his professional career with – was among mourners who gathered for the service, which was taken by lay preacher Lesley Stegner.

John Sykes, of Thin Lizzy, and rock band the Quireboys also left floral tributes.

At yesterday’s service, Mr Lee’s cousin, 50-year-old Steve Metcalfe, paid tribute to the self-taught drummer.

“He was one of the most determined, ambitious, talented men I have ever known.”

He recalled how, despite playing with some of the world’s most famous rock and roll artists, the Grammyaward winning drummer was just as happy to spend the evening drumming at an open mic night at the Quaker House pub, which Mr Metcalfe runs in Darlington.

“I just hope the good Lord has a decent drum kit for him to play,” he added.

The service, which included prayers and a reading of Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians, ended with Aerosmith’s Don’t Want To Miss A Thing.

He also leaves a brother, Tony, and a sister, Janet.

Mr Lee is best known for his work with Page and Plant after he landed a gig in Plant’s solo band in the early Nineties and stayed with the singer when he reunited with Page in 1994.

The drummer toured extensively with the Zeppelin duo and was credited on every song on their 1998 Walking into Clarksdale album.

Mr Lee also drummed for the reformed version of Thin Lizzy, The Cult, Little Angels, The Quireboys, Echo and The Bunnymen, and Lenny Kravitz.

After the service, Daniel Stanton, of Coallier Entertainment, a company which worked with Thin Lizzy in the past, said: “Michael will sadly be missed by so many.

“I have received endless calls from fans, friends and family members surrounding Michael’s death.

“The guys in Thin Lizzy are crushed, I have spoken to people in the Robert Plant camp who have also expressed the same. We will all miss him.”

● The Northern Echo was given permission to attend the funeral of Mr Lee

That's what I meant. That they don't need to issue an official statement (a faintly ridiculous idea, in fact).

If this was directed towards my asking if either had said anything, let me clarify...I wasn't looking for them to hold a press conference with mics and bottled water. I was just curious if anyone here knew their thoughts and if they had they had acknowledged it any way.

If this was directed towards my asking if either had said anything, let me clarify...I wasn't looking for them to hold a press conference with mics and bottled water. I was just curious if anyone here knew their thoughts and if they had they had acknowledged it any way.

No, it wasn't. I have no idea why you would think so. :huh: The only person who mentioned an "official statement" (in quotes) was me. I hope you realize that I'm not the sort of person who would try to start an argument in a thread on a topic like this.

Anyway, I was very glad that Jimmy went, and he did indeed look very sad in the picture.

No, it wasn't. I have no idea why you would think so. :huh: The only person who mentioned an "official statement" (in quotes) was me. I hope you realize that I'm not the sort of person who would try to start an argument in a thread on a topic like this.

Anyway, I was very glad that Jimmy went, and he did indeed look very sad in the picture.

Cool. I didn't think you were looking for an argument or anything. I only asked because I was the first one to post here asking if Page or Plant made a statement.

:)

Cool. I didn't think you were looking for an argument or anything. I only asked because I was the first one to post here asking if Page or Plant made a statement.

:)

OK, then! :beer:

Well, now we know that Robert has said something, anyway, and Jimmy by his actions.

With the greatest respect to his family, comrades and friends, poor Michael's funeral is now over, a cause of death is established, reactions are confirmed from P&P, and a blanket of sadness upon us, can I now get a HALLELUJAH, people?

Let us rejoice in his memory... cos from what I sense in the writings from those who knew him, Michael would've wanted it no other way...

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Have you seen the photo? Jimmy looks deeply sad :'(

Onstage, Michael was arguably Jimmy's greatest musical foil in the post-Zeppelin era.

I'll never forget Jimmy standing to the right of the kit and locking into a groove w/him.

Now, such a sudden, tragic loss....the silence is deafening.

Onstage, Michael was arguably Jimmy's greatest musical foil in the post-Zeppelin era.

I'll never forget Jimmy standing to the right of the kit and locking into a groove w/him.

Now, such a sudden, tragic loss....the silence is deafening.

Sort of like when a house that is full of life suddenly becomes quiet.

Bonzo was undoubtedly the best drummer that ever lived. But NOBODY was as fun to watch as Michael Lee for me. His energy and enthusiasm still amazes me to this day. And he was damned excellent himself. Nearly 2 weeks later, it's still a difficult pill to swallow. :(

It's inevitable that when a sudden death occurs, the first reaction is going to be mourning, before the celebration of the life can begin. The man's funeral only took place yesterday.

But there will be plenty to celebrate. :)

Agreed ! :gimmefive:

Archived