RIP Michael Lee

ocean

Bonzo was undoubtedly the best drummer that ever lived. But NOBODY was as fun to watch as Michael Lee for me. His energy and enthusiasm still amazes me to this day. And he was damned excellent himself. Nearly 2 weeks later, it's still a difficult pill to swallow. :(

I totally agree with you. Watching him play four sticks was thrilling for me, he gave me goose bumps. He had the drummers Mojo for sure. My heart aches for his family and close friends. He will be watched over and taken good care of.

Just a way out thought, but maybe -michael lee was a reason of why -page/plant got together in the 90s. he definately was a positive spark in the whole thing. it is sad and surreal being a music fan.

It's entirely possible that Jimmy caught Robert's live act and thought "the only thing missing here is ME."

That band was the closest thing to Zep Robert had ever been with outside of the real thing, and Michael's drumming played a HUGE part. It was only natural for Jimmy to want to join in...

Just a way out thought, but maybe -michael lee was a reason of why -page/plant got together in the 90s. he definately was a positive spark in the whole thing. it is sad and surreal being a music fan.

My understanding is Robert was contacted by MTV to do an Unplugged show and he in turn contacted Page to join him and things took off from there. However I could be mistaken in this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjr-5wvrD-0

A tribute to Michael. (His birthday show.)

(Just to get you to watch it--it's a red-hot version of Rock and Roll, after which they throw a custard pie at Michael, he goes on bashing the skins to smithereens, then Robert leads the crowd in singing Happy Birthday. :D )

Edited by Aquamarine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjr-5wvrD-0

A tribute to Michael. (His birthday show.)

(Just to get you to watch it--it's a red-hot version of Rock and Roll, after which they throw a custard pie at Michael, he goes on bashing the skins to smithereens, then Robert leads the crowd in singing Happy Birthday. :D )

Thank you for the post Aqua.

I loved the video. Jimmy and Robert looked happy, and Robert looked like he enjoyed what he was doing.

Michael was a fantastic drummer. He took the pie in the face very graciously. I liked the way he just kept on playing and sort of shook the pie off his face as he didn't miss a beat. Very funny. :)

We will miss him. RIP.

Onstage, Michael was arguably Jimmy's greatest musical foil in the post-Zeppelin era.

I'll never forget Jimmy standing to the right of the kit and locking into a groove w/him.

Now, such a sudden, tragic loss....the silence is deafening.

Hopefully, this sad and unfortunate event will inspire JP, Jason and Jonesy to get their project underway more rapidly as life always has it's unexpected moments and we're not guaranteed tomorrow.

R B)