Robert's voice/surgery

ybt8888

I wonder how many rock "singers" were formally trained......

Not many, Bruce Dickinson maybe?

I do seem to recall that it's probably more so these days than in the 60s, as i've read many an interview stating such with some vocalists as they get older that is.

Not many, Bruce Dickinson maybe?

I do seem to recall that it's probably more so these days than in the 60s, as i've read many an interview stating such with some vocalists as they get older that is.

robert may of damaged his vocals in his early twenties ? he was the first of his kind, and possibly other singers who he influenced learnt from his mistakes when considering how to maintain their vocals.

his vocals at knebworth in '79 where still fantastic, his range and tone changed by the mid '80's, possibly due to him working and pushing his vocals so hard in the first few years with zep.

still my favourite vocalist, saw him last year at the 02 show, he put on a great vocal performance.

his vocals at knebworth in '79 where still fantastic, his range and tone changed by the mid '80's, possibly due to him working and pushing his vocals so hard in the first few years with zep.

His vocals at Knebworth made him sound like Elvis, and he was using harmonizers to.

His vocals at Knebworth made him sound like Elvis, and he was using harmonizers to.

you think he sounds like elvis at knebworth, not 99% of people who have heard the gig, yeah he used harmoinsers now and then in a tasteful way, so what ?

do you like robert's singing at all ? you posted a few times regarding this thread, and yr tone suggests you don't like him anyway ? it's obvious ronnie dio is far better.

Basically, Robert Plant couldn't 'sing', he has an untrained voice that he used to scream his way through songs as a youngster, when he got to his mid twenties his voice was damaged and he needed surgery, after that he 'sang' in a lower register, used vocal harmonisers on stage and avoided to some extent screaming.

He probably 'sings' better now than at any other time in his career, if he'd had vocal training as a young man he may have started out differently to what he did.

To call him a singer is an insult to trained vocalists, he used his voice to make a trade mark, that trademark ended in 1974.

Listen to the bootlegs and make your mind up.

Best rock vocalist ever is Ronnie James Dio, wonderfully sounding voice, clearly trained.

Ususally a trained musician is worse as they havent been forced to make the discoveries on their own and they learn how to do things their way instead of the 'correct' way, an individuals way is always the best way

Basically, Robert Plant couldn't 'sing', he has an untrained voice that he used to scream his way through songs as a youngster, when he got to his mid twenties his voice was damaged and he needed surgery, after that he 'sang' in a lower register, used vocal harmonisers on stage and avoided to some extent screaming.

He probably 'sings' better now than at any other time in his career, if he'd had vocal training as a young man he may have started out differently to what he did.

To call him a singer is an insult to trained vocalists, he used his voice to make a trade mark, that trademark ended in 1974.

Best rock vocalist ever is Ronnie James Dio, wonderfully sounding voice, clearly trained.

I can't believe you actually think Plant sang they way he sang just in order to make a trade mark...He has a unique voice and a unique way of singing, this is why he is considered to be one of the best vocalists of all times... Robert invented a new way of singing...He didn't "scream his through songs" he just had a new powerful style of singing (and it's very clear that other vocalists have tried and still try 'till this day to imitate this style).

I've heard about a lot of singers that had the need to have this kind of surgery (Freddie Mercury and Paul Young for example) and like in Robert's case it wasn't because they didn't know how to use their voice...

CALLING ROBERT A SINGER IS AN INSULT TO TRAINED VOCALIST?????????it's simply the dumbest thing I've ever heard....

Ronnie James Dio is the best rock vocalist??????? this is too fuckin' hilarious....

Oh, please!! Gimme a fuckin break!! Let's see YOU do better, k?

million copies of records and an award-winning album later i don't think Robert Plant gives a chimp's ass whether he was a trained vocalist or not.

truth is, the innate quality of his voice is what put him where he is, which no shit load of training can teach. either you have it or you don't. you're right he's not a singer - he's a mega-singer.

meanwhile he's just laughing all the way to the bank at people who insult him.

:slapface:

if he'd had vocal training as a young man he may have started out differently to what he did.

if he had vocal training as a young man he might not have been the icon he is now. see training sometimes takes a while you know, especially if there's no talent to start with. meanwhile robert was already a the top of his career as a young man.

oh robert you're bmuch envied! :rolleyes:

I wonder how many rock "singers" were formally trained......

I don't think we would find that very many of our great "rock singers" have formal training. I think the formal training comes in later with them. They have a vocal breakdown and have to go to a vocal coach/trainer to learn how not to abuse their voices. How to maintain, train and take care of their voices.

I don't think we would find that very many of our great "rock singers" have formal training. I think the formal training comes in later with them. They have a vocal breakdown and have to go to a vocal coach/trainer to learn how not to abuse their voices. How to maintain, train and take care of their voices.

I'm glad some of the best Rock vocalist's never had training as a youngster. We'd never have had the belting out like we have, epecially with Robert's voice. Unrestrained, full range, maximizing his stylings were never better than back in the late 60s and early 70s. Better to "die" early, than to "burn out", so to speak. <_<

I'm glad some of the best Rock vocalist's never had training as a youngster. We'd never have had the belting out like we have, epecially with Robert's voice. Unrestrained, full range, maximizing his stylings were never better than back in the late 60s and early 70s. Better to "die" early, than to "burn out", so to speak. <_<

Oh, I agree. Think of what we wouldn't have if someone from some vocal studio or musical academy had told (insert favorite singer/musician) "that's wrong, that's not how you do it".. I for one would have had a very sterile, uninspired and much smaller record collection... I probably wouldn't have any Rush, Metallica or AC/DC.

I only mention those few as off the top of my head those are some that I love who get flack for the vocals.. and all of these vocalists have had to go backwards to learn how to maintain those golden voices.. thankfully they did do it backwards...

Oh, I agree. Think of what we wouldn't have if someone from some vocal studio or musical academy had told (insert favorite singer/musician) "that's wrong, that's not how you do it".. I for one would have had a very sterile, uninspired and much smaller record collection... I probably wouldn't have any Rush, Metallica or AC/DC.

I only mention those few as off the top of my head those are some that I love who get flack for the vocals.. and all of these vocalists have had to go backwards to learn how to maintain those golden voices.. thankfully they did do it backwards...

Thing is, some of those "golden" voices, to me, got a little brassy. If you know what I mean.

It's age, it's a fact, but that doesn't mean that a person who admires a particular time of a musician's life has to think the nowaday is just as good or better. I loved Steve Howe of Yes back in the early 70s, but when I saw him recently he was tired and I didn't enjoy it much. It takes nothing away from his prime though to me.

Elvis??? Erm....dont think so. And harmonizer thing, he used them to creat harmonies, not, as you seem to suggest, to cover up voice discrepancies

The Elvis thing was quoted from a book that i have, which was written by TBL editor Dave Lewis (he should know)

I was at the second show that year, so I do have some credibility :rolleyes:

It's nice to see healthy debate on here, and some people are easily wound up B)

You won't find a bigger zep fan than me :D

• 2 weeks later...
The Elvis thing was quoted from a book that i have, which was written by TBL editor Dave Lewis (he should know)

I was at the second show that year, so I do have some credibility :rolleyes:

It's nice to see healthy debate on here, and some people are easily wound up B)

You won't find a bigger zep fan than me :D

R U Sure??? :);)

Archived