Robert's voice/surgery

ybt8888

Unmitigated Tripe Center? (I'm just being a smartass, I have no idea. :P )

Gives me an opportunity to ask my usual question about why singing higher=singing better, though.

That's a good question, Aqua. It doesn't necessarily mean better. I liked RP's voice during the last few years of LZ and into his solo career... when he wasn't trying to sing high. "Fool in the Rain" and "All My Love" are two songs in particular where Robert's singing voice was perfect, in my opinion. My problem with his voice post-1973 was when he was still trying to sing as if he could actually hit the high notes. When he did this, it usually didn't sound so hot... at least, in comparison to how he sounded in the early days.

I haven't really followed his career lately, so I can't comment much on how he sounds now. He sounded pretty good on the O2 videos I've seen though.

That's a good question, Aqua. It doesn't necessarily mean better. I liked RP's voice during the last few years of LZ and into his solo career... when he wasn't trying to sing high. "Fool in the Rain" and "All My Love" are two songs in particular where Robert's singing voice was perfect, in my opinion. My problem with his voice post-1973 was when he was still trying to sing as if he could actually hit the high notes. When he did this, it usually didn't sound so hot... at least, in comparison to how he sounded in the early days.

I haven't really followed his career lately, so I can't comment much on how he sounds now. He sounded pretty good on the O2 videos I've seen though.

He sounds great now - different but I say that as a compliment. I'm not of the school of thought that just because he doesn't hit those high notes all the time doesn't mean he can't sing anymore.

He sounds great now - different but I say that as a compliment. I'm not of the school of thought that just because he doesn't hit those high notes all the time doesn't mean he can't sing anymore.

I would agree with that too. I have heard one of his songs with AK, and I thought he sounded great. Maybe not like he was 21, but nobody should expect him to.

The toning down thing they did at O2 was a good idea. If nobody had told me that they did this, I probably would have never known. It's a shame they didn't think about doing this early on with some of their songs from the first few albums. Probably would have saved him a lot of grief if they had.

As much as I love Robert's voice, the obvious comparison in taking care of your voice is the singer from my other favorite band, The Who. Roger Daltrey stopped smoking, took a different car from the other guys (who all smoked) and stayed healthy...and didn't start to really lose it until relatively recently, from age...

Archived