Record/Vinyl Collection

ledzep45

I bought David Gilmour's On An Island on vinyl a few weeks ago. I'll post some pictures of it later.

180-gram vinyl, thick jacket....my only complaint is that it's larger than standard 12-inch LPs, so my plastic sleeves don't fit it. I had to cut part of one and tape it to another so that I would have something wide enough.

Way too many to count,and mine are everywhere..It would take a while to find them all.

...For some reason I found 3 Dark Side of the Moons in my basement.. I found a poster in one yay! recordposterdarkside.jpg Mines in a little better condition, except it has fold marks :(

I (technically my dad) has every Jimi Hendrix album, and over 30 bootlegs.

Im cheap lol, I just claim my dad's records as mine, but I did buy most of the Led Zeppelin records ( I only need In Through the Outdoor and CODA now). Hmmm I bought a couple Jefferson Airplane albums, The Doors, Pink Floyd, some Yardies..Then I have a bunch of AC/DC records, everyone because of my dad, some Beatles because of my mom. And just a lot of 60's and 70's stuff

Way too many to count,and mine are everywhere..It would take a while to find them all.

...For some reason I found 3 Dark Side of the Moons in my basement.. I found a poster in one yay! recordposterdarkside.jpg Mines in a little better condition, except it has fold marks :(

I (technically my dad) has every Jimi Hendrix album, and over 30 bootlegs.

Im cheap lol, I just claim my dad's records as mine, but I did buy most of the Led Zeppelin records ( I only need In Through the Outdoor and CODA now). Hmmm I bought a couple Jefferson Airplane albums, The Doors, Pink Floyd, some Yardies..Then I have a bunch of AC/DC records, everyone because of my dad, some Beatles because of my mom. And just a lot of 60's and 70's stuff

:o :o yur well lucky, I'm still trying to pursuade my dad to get all his beatles and zeppelin and such like from the loft/attic. My mums given me her twist and shout ep though :D :D

BTW got dark side (no poster :( ), jesus christ superstar (ian gillan), genesis (live), crash landing (hendrix) and pictures at 11.

:D

We have this one record shop in my town and it's a dive. It's literally crammed head to toe with records (and I'm not exaggerating); you can't move in the place. And I'm not entirely sure rats don't live there. It's dirty, dusty, and pokey - but you sure do get some fabulous records for only a few squid. I think my bf got PG for something like £2/3 and it was in superb condition and came with its own little plastic cover.

linkage

'Organization is beyond the point of no return'

Almost sounds like my place. :D

But those are the kinds of shops I love to hang around in for a couple hours. In San Francisco there used to be a used book store in the seedy Tenderloin district and that place was unbelieveable. It went way back and had an upstairs too. I loved that place and was sad to see it go. :(

Since I left the bay area I've heard about 'Amoeba' records on Haight Street where it used to be a bowling alley (Park Bowl). It must be huge. :huh:

I only have one record shop around where I live. It's a nice place, but the owner has mainly cds. There are two people there that do special orders for us though. I wish we had a store like that link though. I could spend hours and hours there, and still not be done.

:o :o yur well lucky, I'm still trying to pursuade my dad to get all his beatles and zeppelin and such like from the loft/attic. My mums given me her twist and shout ep though :D :D

BTW got dark side (no poster :( ), jesus christ superstar (ian gillan), genesis (live), crash landing (hendrix) and pictures at 11.

:D

Lol go persuade your dad more, I would beg him haha :D

Awww :'( In my other Dark Side of the Moon albums they had no poster..so maybe it was only in some :unsure:

Record stores in this area are a dying breed but there is CD Alley in Chapel Hill that is wall to wall CDs. That can make it kind of hard to find stuff but they definitely have a lot of stock. Closer to me is Schoolkids Records in Raleigh (only the second store left in that chain, the other one is in Athens, GA) which just moved into a smaller space. Thankfully they have a pretty large selection of both new and used vinyl. Other than those two there are some other places to buy vinyl and CDs but they're all of the used variety. There's also several record shows a year that are worth going to just to see what you can find.

What exactly is a record show? We don't have anything like that to my knowledge.

It's where record collectors set up, usually for a weekend, sometimes longer, to buy, sell and trade vinyl and CDs to the general public. One outfit I'm aware of is called Show Logic. You can read more about them here. They're based out of the Southeast but record shows take place all across the U.S.

We have occasional record fairs in my town. You can get some really good records, but because the traders are clued in, the prices can sometimes be a bit much. I think I paid a tenner for the Japanese single of IS/HHWCID.

I'm sure I read a story somewhere (probably here) that someone was at a record fair in Wolverhampton and they saw Robert rummaging through the records. I can't remember whether they approached him or not. I think they left him alone. Would be pretty cool to bump into him on a Saturday, though.

LDS, I have to find the site and look but I think you may ahve gotten a really good deal for the 45. Do you have the picture sleeve?

And yes it would be awesome to run into him on a Saturday but I'd have to ask him what his favourite find of the day was. I wouldn't pick his brain or anything, I'd just want to chat for a second.

We still have our vinyls but they've been in storage and I don't think they are playable anymore :( I haven't bought an album on vinyl since probably 1987~ish.

Led Zeppelin I through Physical Graffiti plus TSRTS

All albums by the Police and the Cars

Several ACDC, Eagles, Def Leppard, Queen, Billy Squier albums

Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Tusk

All Pink Floyd albums pre1987 (rest on cd)

The Doors and Best of the Doors

5-6 REO Speedwagon albums

Most of the Who's albums

2-3 Rolling Stones albums

Both Secret Policeman's Ball movie soundtracks

A bunch of early 80s new wave stuff (Ministry, Bow Wow Wow, Howard Jones, Haircut 100 etc)

Some punk rock (Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Minor Threat...)

Styx Paradise Theater

Cheap Trick (the one with I Want You to Want Me)

Michael Jackson Thriller

Steely Dan Aja

Journey Escape

Lionel Ritchie solo albums (2)

Kiss, Partridge Family, Shaun Cassidy and Jackson 5 albums :bagoverhead:

I know there are more but I can't remember what all I have. I can't remember what all my husband has either; some listed above are his; he is a major Pink Floyd fan; also I think he had a bunch of Commodores and similar music plus some Sheena Easton type stuff.

Most of mine are from the late 70s to early 80s. I really miss local record stores; we had some good ones. We also had 1-2 places where you could buy used records.

LDS, I have to find the site and look but I think you may ahve gotten a really good deal for the 45. Do you have the picture sleeve?

And yes it would be awesome to run into him on a Saturday but I'd have to ask him what his favourite find of the day was. I wouldn't pick his brain or anything, I'd just want to chat for a second.

Here's the picture sleeve:

imm10075b.jpg

As promised, here are the pictures of my vinyl copy of On An Island. You'll have to forgive the crappy quality. LOL

My awesome cut/tape job that made a bigger plastic sleeve:

randomstuff086.jpg

This is a heavy album, and not just because of the vinyl itself; the cardboard jacket is thick:

randomstuff087.jpg

The vinyl and the sleeve it comes in:

randomstuff090.jpg

Part two will be following, since I can't put more than a certain number of images per post. LOL

Lol go persuade your dad more, I would beg him haha :D

Awww :'( In my other Dark Side of the Moon albums they had no poster..so maybe it was only in some :unsure:

I tryed asking him yesterday but he said blackbird :lol:

No, he actually said I could borrow them, not have them or buy them off him, I might 'accidently' misplace them though :lol:

My boyfriend and I have recently started collecting vinyls, I think in attempt to renew our love for music since all the bands today are emo crap. (God I hate the word emo, I cant believe I typed it) Anyways, I have found that listening to records are a fun way to re-discover all your favorite bands! It's almost new to me even though I already have it on c.d. and have listened to it a thousand times.

My collection consist of mostly:

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Bob Dylan

Black Sabbath and Ozzy

Jimi Hendrix

Judas Priest

And unfortunately I only have LZ IV and Song Remains the Same soundtrack (my first album ever.) Zep is just a little harder to find in my record store. I have over 30 albums, but its a work in progress since I just started collecting.

My boyfriend and I have recently started collecting vinyls, I think in attempt to renew our love for music since all the bands today are emo crap. (God I hate the word emo, I cant believe I typed it) Anyways, I have found that listening to records are a fun way to re-discover all your favorite bands! It's almost new to me even though I already have it on c.d. and have listened to it a thousand times.

My collection consist of mostly:

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Bob Dylan

Black Sabbath and Ozzy

Jimi Hendrix

Judas Priest

And unfortunately I only have LZ IV and Song Remains the Same soundtrack (my first album ever.) Zep is just a little harder to find in my record store. I have over 30 albums, but its a work in progress since I just started collecting.

What Pink Floyd albums do you have so far? What you're talking about, I did myself. I started collecting vinyl by basically looking at my CD collection and picking out albums I wanted to have on vinyl.

Zep is just a little harder to find in my record store.

Music Direct is just one of several sites I'm aware of where vinyl (including Zep) can be ordered online. That's in reference to new vinyl but there are also tons of sites (such as GEMM) where you can order used vinyl. Of course, neither are nearly as much fun as rummaging through stacks of LPs at your local record store but since everyone doesn't have that advantage I'd say it's very cool that those sites make vinyl available period.

I've been considering collecting all (6? or 8?) covers of ITTOD.

I've had one for about 5 years now and only recently considered expanding it.

I found a copy of Zep III at the flea market in November that had "the wheel" on the cover. I wasn't aware there are apparently two versions on vinyl, one with and one without "the wheel."

Jahfin's right. There's nothing like looking through stacks of LP's at your local record store. Doesn't get much better than that. B):D I'm going to my local record store and favorite store, Everybody's Records, tomorrow to go look. I go all the time with my mom and it's always a blast. You don't get that kind of enjoyment by downloading music now do you! :):D

What Pink Floyd albums do you have so far? What you're talking about, I did myself. I started collecting vinyl by basically looking at my CD collection and picking out albums I wanted to have on vinyl.

Animals, Wish You Were Here, and Obscured By Clouds on vinyl. We go to this 2nd hand book store. Sometimes you get lucky, it just depends on what someone brings in. Last Friday we found Rage Against the Machine the battle of los angeles and it goes for 50 dollars on ebay. And a Bob Marley 3 record set. I cant find any information on it, so I'm not sure if it was under-priced or overpriced.

Archived