298 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Epic

• Stairway to Heaven
    • No Quarter
    • In The Light
    • Achilles Last Stand
    • Carouselambra
    • Kashmir

Since TSRTS and Rain Song are really meant as one piece, I would vote that.

For the few that didn't know, TSRTS, as originally schemed by Page, was to be an instrumental intro into Rain Song.

There is a legend that surrounds both songs.

TSRTS-Pete Townsend supposedly said Page didn't have the smarts to write a rock opera.

Rain Song-George Harrison complained to Page they "they were good, but they never do ballads" paraphrased of course.

I am pretty sure the Harrison one is the truth, as it came from Page himself, but if they are both true, I would say both Pete and George regret sayin it, as Page trumped em both.

Why would Page care about Townshend's opinion of his writing? Would he need to write songs about molestation and still being confused about his sexuallity to appease him? Does the greatest guitarist have to even acknowledge the lamest guitarist?? The other members of the Who were great, but I don't get the acclaim Townshend got...

Why would Page care about Townshend's opinion of his writing? Would he need to write songs about molestation and still being confused about his sexuallity to appease him? Does the greatest guitarist have to even acknowledge the lamest guitarist?? The other members of the Who were great, but I don't get the acclaim Townshend got...

I don't necessarily get the fascination with Townsend either, and, as I said, I am pretty sure he didn't say it. Somebody took what Harrison said and applied it to Townsend.

Fair enough - Guess I got all worked up when I read Townshend = great songwriting once again. His wonderful prose would be confined to a sticky little diary tucked away somewhere, if not for the prowess of Entwistle and Moon, I would think...

Achilles Last Stand, by the way!

No matter what the best is,STH is most epic,i don't care if you hate it,it has the sound of epicness about it,love it or hate it,it's just epic.

The songs i would have pput in:

STH

ALS

Kashmir

IMTOD

Dazed

In The Light

BIGLY

No Quarter

Levee

TSRTS/Rain Song

OTHAFA (IMHO their shortest epic)

Evermore

Carouselambra

But LZ have too many to categorize B)

In My Time Of Dyin' you Slags!

Yuh-huh, absolutely. But it did say "more that just blues rock", so I voted for Kashmir...can't beat how it builds up and then goes "my Shangri-La beneath the summer moon will return again..."

Hey - wait.

"JUST" blues rock??????!!!!!

:rant:

• 1 month later...

Stairway to Heaven, IMO. It just feels epic. It gives me some chills down my spine and the lyrics, the meanings, combining multiple aspects of melodic...stuff :) ...it's just epic! It's quickly followed by Kashmir, yes, but STH is better. And for some reason I'm not a fan of Achilles Last Stand. The others don't matter (for me).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Uh, who voted for Carouselambra? seriously... :huh:

"Achilles Last Stand" would be the first Led Zeppelin song I would think of if you just said "epic - Led Zeppelin song", even if it were not on the list. It was great live

Only during the Tour Over Europe. The early performances (like 77 and knebworth) were sloppy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived