• Carouselambra
    • Kashmir

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, the options for epic song could have been expanded to include How Many More Times, The Battle of Evermore, Dazed and Confused, and Since I've Been Loving You. Having said that, I think they are all epic, and each appeals to a specific mood. As for the moment, the songs that most speak to me would be The Battle of Evermore and Achilles Last Stand, so I will have to go with Achilles Last Stand since it is the only poll option of my two current epic faves. Hey OID!

Caroulselambra. The way each section moves to the next is just amazing. Musically it is a masterfully arranged piece. Lyrically it is extremely underrated in my eyes as Plant really delves deep into what it was to be Led Zeppelin.

All are good choices however :)

Caroulselambra. The way each section moves to the next is just amazing. Musically it is a masterfully arranged piece. Lyrically it is extremely underrated in my eyes as Plant really delves deep into what it was to be Led Zeppelin.

All are good choices however :)

I voted Kashmir.

I just looked up the lyrics to Carousleambra....WTH is that all about??!! I couldn't make heads or tails of what it's about! :ahhh:

• 7 months later...

What classes as "epic" then? Is it just length, or subject matter too?

My first thought was actually In My Time Of Dying...which isn't on the poll *cries*

So, I guess I'm gonna trump for that old classic Stairway...I just love the way it builds up gradually verse by verse, then the solo, then the goddamn heavy metal bit that you can rock the hell out to. Gotta love it. :D

• 7 months later...

I had to go Stairway - epic on the album - ultra epic live in terms of its execution and arrangement on the twin neck EDS-1275

It's hard to think of a Led Zep song that is not epic though.

The definition of epic: a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation.

Taking the actual definition as the baseline, only five songs qualify for this, Battle of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, Carouselambra, & Achilles Last Stand (even though ALS is not about Achilles, the Iliad, or any Greek hero). NQ does not qualify due to it's relatively sparse lyric.

I have to give the nod to ALS, the song is the most driving of their canon, incredibly intense, and qualify since it relates to the adventures of legendary figures (the band). However a very close second goes to Carouselambra.

Based on IPMan's definition, I voted for 'Kashmir', but it's really a toss up between it and 'Stairway' because when I think 'epic' in music, so much of it is influenced by what images the songs create. Both 'Kashmir' and 'Stairway' move deep and far though to different landscapes - the one to deserts and ancient tales that winds carry, the other to knowing forests that hold or whisper secrets. 'No Quarter' and 'In the Light' are then tied for second (at the moment), especially when hearing them one after the other, because it's like the completion of a single story. NQ always made me think of 'The Seafarer' and 'The Wanderer' - cold, dark, wet, alone, hunted, desperate for the comforts of hearth and kin. ITL evokes a single beam of expanding light as the weary man opens a door and sees at first swirls of dust, then the rest of the room - bread, wine, and brotherhood; ITL is the other song of hope.
Of course, there's always Levee, Rain Song, etc. We're spoiled for choice here. I'm always awestruck at just how well they were able to convey musically the moods and stories of the lyrics. Perfect union.

Archived