Paul Mcartney's thoughts on the matter

pinky

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...%20tour_1087975

SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY has expressed his disappointment at LED ZEPPELIN's decision to reunite without frontman ROBERT PLANT.

The Kashmir hitmakers announced last month (Oct08) that they plan to hit the road in 2009 without Plant, who has opted out of the reunion shows.

The remaining stars, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham's son, Jason, are now auditioning singers to take over vocals.

But fans of the rockers don't want to see the group with another frontman - and former Beatle MCCartney concedes it won't be the same without Plant.

He says, "What's happened to Planty? He was great at their gig. It's such a pity."

Paul doesn't seem to know that they won't touring as Led Zeppelin or that Robert doesn't want to do it.

Um... this fan of the rockers is fine with seeing them without Plant.

without plant they will not be calling themselves led zeppelin.i'd like to see plant sing again with them again of course,but if they go out as having the 02 show as their last gig together,what better way could you go out?i hope plant makes more albums in the realm he has een singing in all his career,i

would just freak out if he kept up singing in the krauss style.what's next?duets with cher,barbra streisand or amy winehouse?

without plant they will not be calling themselves led zeppelin.i'd like to see plant sing again with them again of course,but if they go out as having the 02 show as their last gig together,what better way could you go out?i hope plant makes more albums in the realm he has een singing in all his career,i

would just freak out if he kept up singing in the krauss style.what's next?duets with cher,barbra streisand or amy winehouse?

He's way out of their league. And while I was very disappointed in her lack of stage presence, vocally Alison is out of their league too.

He's way out of their league. And while I was very disappointed in her lack of stage presence, vocally Alison is out of their league too.

Being an apologist of Alison, I don't think you should judge her stage presence based entirely on the Raising Sand tour. She has much more stage presence and exhibits much more charisma when she performs with Union Station, arguably the best performance ensemble of Bluegrass artists in the history of the genre. She is completely unaccustomed to sharing the stage with beer drinking alpha males like Robert and T Bone, although I do think she loosened up and learned to have fun on stage by the time they returned from the European shows.

Being an apologist of Alison, I don't think you should judge her stage presence based entirely on the Raising Sand tour. She has much more stage presence and exhibits much more charisma when she performs with Union Station, arguably the best performance ensemble of Bluegrass artists in the history of the genre. She is completely unaccustomed to sharing the stage with beer drinking alpha males like Robert and T Bone, although I do think she loosened up and learned to have fun on stage by the time they returned from the European shows.

Nope she still stood there stiff as a board.

agreed. alison onstage with union station is a formidable stage presence...

robert just naturally absorbs all the light in the room. one of the greats.

the only person to go toe to toe onstage with robert plant (and win): jimmy page.

i wonder how he feels about that?

nevermind.....

agreed. alison onstage with union station is a formidible stage presence...

robert just naturally absorbs all the light in the room. one of the greats.

the only person to go toe to toe onstage with robert plant (and win): jimmy page.

i wonder how he feels about that?

nevermind.....

Agreed beatbo!! I know I would be a bit intimidated standing onstage next to Robert! Yes, Alison is alot more relaxed and loosens up more with Union Station. :)

Back to the topic, I certainly agree with Paul about them not being the same without Robert.

At the show I saw RP stepped off of the stage for Alison's songs, which I thought was cool. But when he was on stage he didn't move around much more than she did, she may have moved around more, especially when playing fiddle. Her solo spots on the RS tour are filled with ethereal songs, not exactly the kind of stuff one prances around beating a tambourine to.

As for moving around on stage, meh it's overrated. If you like that kind of thing head out and see KISS, Madonna or the Pussycat Dolls. It's all about what I hear not what I see, I don't need dance moves, theater or hypersexual posturing.

At the show I saw RP stepped off of the stage for Alison's songs, which I thought was cool. But when he was on stage he didn't move around much more than she did, she may have moved around more, especially when playing fiddle. Her solo spots on the RS tour are filled with ethereal songs, not exactly the kind of stuff one prances around beating a tambourine to.

As for moving around on stage, meh it's overrated. If you like that kind of thing head out and see KISS, Madonna or the Pussycat Dolls. It's all about what I hear not what I see, I don't need dance moves, theater or hypersexual posturing.

You're right that some of her solo songs were not the kind of songs one would move all over the stage too, especially things like Trampled Rose. Robert loosened up much more towards the end. I think like anything, it takes time to develop a stage rapport with people.

she is one hell of a talented lady,i would just hate to see plant just doing this kid of stuff and forget the type he has sang his whole career.i could live without new led zeppelin tours or albums,but plant as given so much enjoyment in his style of singing to the world and other music groups,i'd hate to see him stop.

not gonna happen

hey i like cher but eh no not gonna happen

I bet if someone told you a few years ago what if Jimmy would pair up with a rapper and disgrace one of their best songs, or that Robert would do a country album/tour with another singer you would say "not gonna happen".

Who's the apologist? Not clear

I'm not an apologist. I do think her voice is amazing. I saw them in London in May, and again in Dallas in July and both times she looked uncomfortable and stiff. So no, she didn't have any stage presence.

she is one hell of a talented lady,i would just hate to see plant just doing this kid of stuff and forget the type he has sang his whole career.i could live without new led zeppelin tours or albums,but plant as given so much enjoyment in his style of singing to the world and other music groups,i'd hate to see him stop.

These types of statements puzzle me. What exactly has RP done with AK that has strayed from his roots. For a guy who's done everything from folky duets with Sandy Denny to the country blues of Zep III and from his earthy sounding solo stuff like Big Log to the straight up "oldies" of The Honeydrippers I'd say Raising Sand, the tour, album and style is what RP has been about all along. I'd say for the guy who's sang Down By The Seaside, Your Time Is Gonna Come, Tangerine, Hey Hey What Can I Do etc. what he is doing now is a continuation of what he's always done. Anyone who attended the recent tour and witnessed Robert onstage with Buddy Miller's ethereal guitaring, the bombastic drumming and haunting vox of RP and AK should attest to that. If not I question if they've ever heard what LZ was really about.

These types of statements puzzle me. What exactly has RP done with AK that has strayed from his roots. For a guy who's done everything from folky duets with Sandy Denny to the country blues of Zep III and from his earthy sounding solo stuff like Big Log to the straight up "oldies" of The Honeydrippers I'd say Raising Sand, the tour, album and style is what RP has been about all along. I'd say for the guy who's sang Down By The Seaside, Your Time Is Gonna Come, Tangerine, Hey Hey What Can I Do etc. what he is doing now is a continuation of what he's always done. Anyone who attended the recent tour and witnessed Robert onstage with Buddy Miller's ethereal guitaring, the bombastic drumming and haunting vox of RP and AK should attest to that. If not I question if they've ever heard what LZ was really about.

he was doing the singing solo,i have yet to hear an acoustic version of since i've been loving you,and plant always experimented.now he says according to JPJ that he's through with hard rock and is gonna sing acoustic stuff.that's bullshit.

he was doing the singing solo,i have yet to hear an acoustic version of since i've been loving you,and plant always experimented.now he says according to JPJ that he's through with hard rock and is gonna sing acoustic stuff.that's bullshit.

That statement was JPJ's opinion - Robert has never said he's through with rock. Right now he's enjoying working with Americana artists. Who knows what his next venture will be.

That statement was JPJ's opinion - Robert has never said he's through with rock. Right now he's enjoying working with Americana artists. Who knows what his next venture will be.

Yep and Americana artists and music formed the basis of what Zep did, a very large part of it anyway. Personally I think Raising Sand sounds a whole lot more like something Zep would have done than a lot of Robert's solo stuff. Even the production is very Zep like. If Jimmy Page would have been a part of Raising Sand instead of T-Bone people here would be raving about the album, even if sounded exactly the same.

BRAVO!!! :bravo:

:goodpost:

You hit the nail right on the head, great post!! B)

Yep and Americana artists and music formed the basis of what Zep did, a very large part of it anyway. Personally I think Raising Sand sounds a whole lot more like something Zep would have done than a lot of Robert's solo stuff. Even the production is very Zep like. If Jimmy Page would have been a part of Raising Sand instead of T-Bone people here would be raving about the album, even if sounded exactly the same.

:bravo::yourock:

Archived