Zep's creative energy

McSeven

Just from reading about Zep. Has anyone noticed that they had more creative energy when they were on the road. When they relaxed more, thier creative energy seemed to be running out.

At least half of Pressence and ITTOD seem lacking in energy as opposed to the first 6 studio albums.

Mc7

I am not saying that Presence is absoulutley nothing. For me the only three songs on P is ALS/FYL/NFBM are the last of the magic era of Zeps bluesy mystic nature. The rest are filler.

I never hear them crank up NO/CSR and the rest. We'll never see those songs live or boots of them. Again thats my oppinion. I like my Zep Mystical and blusey.

ITTOD feels like they are tired. They almost sound like a different band. Its okay, but I don't play ITTOD much.

Mc7

I am not saying that Presence is absoulutley nothing. For me the only three songs on P is ALS/FYL/NFBM are the last of the magic era of Zeps bluesy mystic nature. The rest are filler.

I never hear them crank up NO/CSR and the rest. We'll never see those songs live or boots of them. Again thats my oppinion. I like my Zep Mystical and blusey.

ITTOD feels like they are tired. They almost sound like a different band. Its okay, but I don't play ITTOD much.

Mc7

Some people thought Presence was rushed,mediocre the first Zeppelin slip,others think it is brilliant,spontaneous and their best album

Just from reading about Zep. Has anyone noticed that they had more creative energy when they were on the road. When they relaxed more, thier creative energy seemed to be running out.

At least half of Pressence and ITTOD seem lacking in energy as opposed to the first 6 studio albums.

Mc7

I'd have to disagree with you on Presence. One of the reasons I think it's such a brilliant album is it has this urgency and really strong sense of immediacy. ITTOD shows the band moving in a different direction. Music and times were changing and I think they were stepping on a new path that of course tragically was cut short.

Mc7

I agree and actually started 2nd guessing them at the time Physical Grafitti came out. Parts of that album don't sit well with me, part of Presence and ALL of ITTOD. The last great Led Zeppelin album was Houses of the Holy to me and that coincided with their live period up through 1972 which was the end of my favorite live period. So the fifth album was the last of the uphill climb in my book.

They did hit the road alot more in the early days as well. I agree with what you said.

Put me down for disagree as well. IMO Presence and ITTOD sound the works of a more accomplished band and it's the deep tracks that make it so for me. I was blown away the first time I heard songs like Hot Dog and Candy Store Rock. I think ITTOD gets bagged on for the wrong reasons. It's become one of those things where the critcal history has ecliped the music. New Zep fans who haven't given the album a chance have something against it before they've heard it from what they've read and been told. Personally I love Jimmy's laid back fills and texture on that album. Guitar freakout's were becoming cliche' by then, people like Ted Nugent killed the beauty of extended soloing. Jimmy's return to the roots approach on those last two albums proved to be forward thinking.

i don't think it was a lack of creative energy as much as growing in creative maturity. happens a lot to bands who are around for awhile. it's fine to be a fool standing in the rain years down the road, but nobody wants to know that about you when you're 21 years old, cocky and indestructible, when all you care about is the soul of a woman nestled between her legs. in other words, once you figure out love isn't sex, then you can move on to bigger and better ideas, and get jaunty for fun every now and again.

Archived