Zep crosses ethnicity lines

McSeven

I am a 37 yr old black man. I can relate to Zep way over rap anyday of the week. I wonder what Zep's music has over the Rap/hiphop. There is some sort of ingreedient in the music that speaks to me. I have only been listening to Zep for 20yrs.

Could it be that zep captured my attention in my youth. Or hip hop is a weaker form of music that has no longevity.

Mc7

Interesting you should say that. Because to be honest, looking at the average Zeppelin audience, I wish they crossed ethnic lines more, as I do think the band have something to offer all audiences regardless of ethnicity.

I'll be interested to see what other people have to say about this.

What I love about Zep is not only the hard rock they brought to their music, it is the blues influences in it as well. I grew up on the blues, jazz, r&b and gospel and the Zeppelin members influences were many blues and r&b artists as well so that shows in alot of their music. They have so many different styles that I think just about anyone can relate to it. As far as hip hop/rap, it seems many of those artists use alot of Zep samples, well in particular, the Beastie Boys on "License to Ill". I was reading Rolling Stone mag last year and Wyclef Jean said something along the line of, "there isn't a hip hop producer out there that doesn't know a Zeppelin beat, the drum sounds as a producer, you live to sample that, they are the blueprint of rock." I thought wow, that is an awesome compliment!! I think Zeppelin has a little bit of something for everyone. :)

But do they cross ethnic lines with regard to their audience? As I suggested above, when you look at a Zeppelin audience it seems to be mostly or even overwhelmingly white (as do most rock audiences). That's what I meant by saying I wished they crossed ethnic lines more, as I agree with you, Melanie, that they bring many influences to their music. But perhaps I'm wrong about their audience?

I'm seventeen years old and Mexican American and I have been enjoying Led Zeppelin's music for five years now. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time. I got into Led Zeppelin because my dad was a big Led Zeppelin fan in the 70's and had some Led Zeppelin and other classic rock albums in the house and I just got to listening to them as I said five years ago. When I listened to them I knew no band could ever come close to their music greatness and no band that I have listened to old or new has come close, although I also really like The Beatles as well. Yes, Led Zeppelin does cross ethnic lines, rock 'n' roll itself has crossed ethnic lines since it's founding just think of these rockers for example, Santana, Jimi Hendrix, the blues influence, age and country lines as well. :)

But do they cross ethnic lines with regard to their audience? As I suggested above, when you look at a Zeppelin audience it seems to be mostly or even overwhelmingly white (as do most rock audiences). That's what I meant by saying I wished they crossed ethnic lines more, as I agree with you, Melanie, that they bring many influences to their music. But perhaps I'm wrong about their audience?

Oh yes Aquamarine, I see what you are saying about their live audience. I am not sure really, it is an interesting question though.

The way I see it is that were all people and we all listen to what we think is good. But as was said earlier all of Led Zeppelin's insperations were black (except Elvis). From my experiences a vast majority of other 15 year olds and such who like hip hop and other crap like that have not REALLY heard Led Zeppelin and if they did it was only Stairway To Heaven, they also tend not to understand music is about the heart and soul and as Robert said "the point of music is to be happy" can you tell me a rap/hip hop song that is even remotely related to that.

By and large Zeppelin like other classic rock acts appealed to white audience there is no question about it with the notable exception of Japan

I think it just depends on the city Aqua. Vancouver has alway's been a very cosmopolitan city and the audiences at all the Zeppelin , Plant, and Page and Plant show's alway's reflected that.

I'm 38 and white, and I could no more say that all hip hop is crap then I could say all rock and roll is crap. It all comes from the same place, and the older I get the more sick I get of people taking entire genres of music and trashing them. I personally would love to see the mashup of Whole Lotta Love and Drop it Like it's Hot released as a single. That is the coolest thing I've heard in a long time. Zeppelin were one of the white English bands that brought the blues back home to America in a time when we were still so segregated that a lot of whites didn't have much exposure to the roots of the incredible music in our own back yards. And those original American artists got far, far more respect overseas than they did here in the USA. I see hip hop as a current stage in American musical evolution, and the songs are about the same stuff as classic rock and roll songs are. The complaints about it are the same, as well. There are matters of taste, which are what they are. But then there's closing our ears, and I've seen those two things confused a lot.

This is no specific comment on anyone here; I've just heard the same old stuff said about it so many times in my life that I wanted to put my two cents in. Very good thread topic.

I'm 38 and white, and I could no more say that all hip hop is crap then I could say all rock and roll is crap. It all comes from the same place, and the older I get the more sick I get of people taking entire genres of music and trashing them. I personally would love to see the mashup of Whole Lotta Love and Drop it Like it's Hot released as a single. That is the coolest thing I've heard in a long time. Zeppelin were one of the white English bands that brought the blues back home to America in a time when we were still so segregated that a lot of whites didn't have much exposure to the roots of the incredible music in our own back yards. And those original American artists got far, far more respect overseas than they did here in the USA. I see hip hop as a current stage in American musical evolution, and the songs are about the same stuff as classic rock and roll songs are. The complaints about it are the same, as well. There are matters of taste, which are what they are. But then there's closing our ears, and I've seen those two things confused a lot.

This is no specific comment on anyone here; I've just heard the same old stuff said about it so many times in my life that I wanted to put my two cents in. Very good thread topic.

I dont think you can say it any better

I agree with you about people taking entire genres and trashing them based on disliking some of it. I'm not a huge fan of rap/hip hop but some of it I like a lot. I don't like all rock either. Lyrically though, part of why rap music developed is that at the time, inner city kids in the projects couldn't relate to a lot of what rock was singing about and they felt they needed their stories and struggles to be heard. Maybe now rock and rap's lyrics have become more similar but certainly not in the early stages.

Interesting discussion!

I don't think this is as simple as rock music has a primarily white audience. Honestly I'm not sure what music African American's and other ethnicities like. Even when you see old clips of Muddy and Wolf performing the audiences were primarily white. Considering the amount of white kids I see walking around looking like "gangstas" I'm going to guess plenty of white people attend rap shows. The real question should be what and where do ethnic people listen to live music, it's not where I do that's for sure.

Edit: come to think of it I was watching a Johnny "Guitar" Watson DVD the other day from the 80's and at the time he playing straight up funk and soul mixed with a little blues, complete with polyester jumpsuit, 'fro and jive talk about things white's likely don't have experience with, the entire audience was white.

I know what you mean. At most jazz shows I've been to the audience by far predominently white even when the majority of players are black. Maybe it's just the demographics of an area too. The white/black ratio in the US in 2002 was 69% white and 13% black so that would correlate closely with jazz concert attendence's I've seen to a degree. I'd say rock shows are less than a 1 in 7 mix of black/white though.

For sure it's the blues base in the early Led Zeppelin that appealed more to a black audience.

I can't ever remember seeing any blacks at Yes or that progressive band genre of the mid 70s. What's up with that?

TBH, I can't remember a time in my life where good music period, wasn't appreciated. My parents listened to everything. All of the parents in our neighbourhood were the same. My first taste of Zeppelin came from my friends who owned the Chinese grocery. They also got me listening to jazz via Miles Davis. That progressed into an appreciation for soul, and funk. My friendships have been pretty diverse over the years and an appreciation for good music has been the catalyst for so many of those friendships and it has taught me to keep my ears and my mind open.

is interesting!! i have a son inlaw who raps and is very good who has grown up listening to the oldies of soul, jazz ... but lately he has listened to led zeppelin and really likes them,sence alot of rap beats come from rock songs..its just most young people don't know that. he has also realized that zep have a wide veriety, i think alot of kids just haven't giving it a chance [ its not the in thing, how would they look...] my son is mixed black a.nd white. and his freinds will say what are you listing to? so just goes to say. lincoln park is a group that all ethnics i have seen listening to.just my opinnion.

I am a 37 yr old black man. I can relate to Zep way over rap anyday of the week. I wonder what Zep's music has over the Rap/hiphop. There is some sort of ingreedient in the music that speaks to me. I have only been listening to Zep for 20yrs.

Could it be that zep captured my attention in my youth. Or hip hop is a weaker form of music that has no longevity.

Mc7

Good point. I know that a couple of years ago, I went to a Rush concert and saw three African American men enjoying the hell out of it. I think they were there to see Neil Peart, as was I.

And I remember many moons ago, my friend and I attending a George Benson show, before he was a megastar, and we were the only white people in the audience. So I guess it's what you like.

I've been outspoken, maybe too much, on my distaste for rap or hip hop music. I don't get it, so I tend to reject it, which is probably wrong.

I'm only 22 but that's how I feel about it too. Well said B)

About the topic, I think that rock audiences are usually white but it's subjective really...

is interesting!! i have a son inlaw who raps and is very good who has grown up listening to the oldies of soul, jazz ... but lately he has listened to led zeppelin and really likes them,sence alot of rap beats come from rock songs..its just most young people don't know that. he has also realized that zep have a wide veriety, i think alot of kids just haven't giving it a chance [ its not the in thing, how would they look...] my son is mixed black a.nd white. and his freinds will say what are you listing to? so just goes to say. lincoln park is a group that all ethnics i have seen listening to.just my opinnion.

I think you mean Linkin Park I used to listen to them and other nu-metal stuff back in my teenage years :)

Good point btw.

Archived