favourite movie

caroselambra~

nice lists, everybody!

special holla out to all that mentioned 'like water for chocolate', 'petrified forest', 'run, lola, run', hard days night, and the python films.

some of mine:

"city lights" chaplin and a blind girl-classic

"monkey business" the marx brothers run amok on a boat as stowaways. rent it!

"nosferatu" killer silent dracula

"shadow of a vampire" film about killer silent dracula

"trainspotting" danny boyle really gets rolling

"the jungle book" best disney of all time with smoking tunes (louis prima!) and a beatle vulture...

"horse feathers" more marx brothers, including one of my favorite scenes at the speakeasy where the password is "swordfish"and groucho has to get past chico:

chico: itsa name of a fish. i giva you three guesses.

groucho: is it mary?

chico: you no foola me. atsa no fish...

groucho: no? well, she sure drinks like one...

that slays me...to this day. :hysterical:

Like water for chocolate (based on the book by Laura Esquivel - Como agua para chocolate)

Amelie (French - Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain)

Run Lola run (German - Lola rennt)

The Princess and the warrior (German - Der Krieger und die Kaiserin - made by the bloke who did run Lola run)

Bend it like Beckham (something about that movie makes me love it)

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (I actually have a friend who interviewed the KING of Gonzo Journalism - the great Hunter S Thompson!)

Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the dead ! (love those movies!)

umm my list is too long...

Bend It Like Beckham's a fun movie. I have it on dvd.

I can't think of "favorite" movies - some that I've enjoyed a lot:

Splendor in the Grass

Rebel Without A Cause

Mrs. Robinson

North by Northwest

Blowup

A Walk On the Moon

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset

The Kite Runner

Lord of the Rings

Silence of the Lambs

The Notebook

I'm sure there's tons more but offhand that's what comes to mind.

Seems like I answered this before but don't see any response from me here.

Animal House (I know every word of this movie)

BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth

Fiddler on the Roof

The Man Who Knew Too Little

The Paper Chase

To Kill A Mockingbird

Rudy

and many more.....

The Song Remains The Same

Pink Floyd The Wall

Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke

Lord Of The Rings

The Ten commandments

Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered country

The Usual Suspects

Pulp Fiction

High Anxiety

The Shining

Smokey and The Bandit

Silence of The Lambs

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

King Kong - original

The Exorcist

The Road to Wellville - the movie sucks but I'm in the background in one scene

Christmas - The Year without a santa claus - i just love the heat and cold meisers. They Rock!

I'm sure I'm missing sooooo many great movies.

downfall - the last days of hitler (subtitles)

this is without doubt one of the finest movies ever made

one of the only films to receive a standing ovation at cannes - ever

Ooooops caroselambra~ .... The favorite movie thread was already started back in July.....

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?showtopic=7322

I guess we never have too many... right ! :D

Almost choked to death on my popcorn! :lol:

national_lampoons_animal_house_02.jpg

Animal House was the first movie that my husband and I saw together when we were dating.

This scene was a little embarasisng for me as we didn't know each other well at the time.

Also, the part when Otter has his doctor bag. :lol:

(By the way, when I started Optometry school, they gave us doctor bags like that one to carry our instruments and other "gadgets" in. Nothing like what Otter had in his bag, though). :lol:

My favorite part of the movie:

"Hey Ottis, my man"

"Can we dance with your dates?"

:lol: Hard to pick a funniest moment but the horse croaking in the dean's office is at the top!

It would be tough to top that. The only thing would be Flounder throwing up on Dean Wormer along with "seven years of college down the drain".

It would be tough to top that. The only thing would be Flounder throwing up on Dean Wormer along with "seven years of college down the drain".

i dunno...when the janitor measures the horse and then the door, then starts up a chainsaw...

I also watch a lot of the old movies on AMC and TCM. Not all of them are great but there is a lot to be said for how movies used to be made compared to the special effects extravaganzas we have today.

Cool to see Alice's Restaurant mentioned here as it, along with Bonnie & Clyde, Billy Jack, Patton, The 10 Commandments and some of the late 60s and early 70s Disney features were among the very first movies I ever saw at the theatre, especially at the matinee. I also loved the Planet of the Apes series as a little kid back in the 70s, I know I saw several of those at the Saturday afternoon matinee. There were also the old Bruce Lee movies back in the 70s. I also recall seeing a very young Arnold Schwarzenegger in Hercules In New York way back before anyone (including myself) knew who he was. That was back when they used to give out little trinkets to you at the theatre. For that one, they gave out a little styrofoam thing you could squeeze with your hand that was supposed to increase your strength. Recently on AMC I've seen The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes with a very young Kurt Russell that was a very nice trip down memory lane. AMC also showed Alice's Restaurant not long ago. I honestly don't think that movie has stood the test of time very well but it has it's moments. Still, I think I like the song better.

Some other favorites:

Lost In Translation

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

High Fidelity

Almost Famous

The Accountant (won the Oscar for best short film in 2001 but is impossible to find as a rental, thankfully I purchased a copy online before it went out of print)

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I also love old Westerns and most anything Clint Eastwood and John Wayne ever appeared in. Even though it wasn't a theatrical release I believe Lonesome Dove is one of the best Westerns ever made. Also count me in a as a huge fan of Animal House and comedies in general.

Some other favorites:

Lost In Translation

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

High Fidelity

Almost Famous

The Accountant (won the Oscar for best short film in 2001 but is impossible to find as a rental, thankfully I purchased a copy online before it went out of print)

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Ahhh - how could I forget High Fidelity! I have the book I've yet to read. I thought Lost in Translation was interesting - well acted but a bit slow at times.

Ahhh - how could I forget High Fidelity! I have the book I've yet to read.

After a recent discussion about a very High Fidelity-like day I had, a friend lent me a copy of it that has been making the rounds amongst all of our friends for years. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet as I am still making my way through Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die. That's more of a reference book but still a great read.

I thought Lost in Translation was interesting - well acted but a bit slow at times.

I know the pace of that movie was a big turnoff for some people (a friend of mine fell asleep during the first ten minutes) but to me it was one of the things that lent it it's uniqueness. It definitely has a very "fly on the wall" aspect to it which makes it stand apart from most movies out there.

After a recent discussion about a very High Fidelity-like day I had, a friend lent me a copy of it that has been making the rounds amongst all of our friends for years. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet as I am still making my way through Tom Moon's 1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die. That's more of a reference book but still a great read.

I know the pace of that movie was a big turnoff for some people (a friend of mine fell asleep during the first ten minutes) but to me it was one of the things that lent it it's uniqueness. It definitely has a very "fly on the wall" aspect to it which makes it stand apart from most movies out there.

I'd like to read Moon's book as well. The location of Lost in Translation wasn't an issue for me at all. I think it fit the story well. I just felt the story itself was a little slow.

I'd like to read Moon's book as well.

It's a damn good read even though I'm not reading every single entry since it covers such a wide spectrum of music. Can't say I agree with every one of his choices either (Boston, really?) but that's half the fun of it. The other is reading about records I need to look into further. I think I've posted this before but it's a worth posting again in case you didn't see it:

1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die

The location of Lost in Translation wasn't an issue for me at all. I think it fit the story well. I just felt the story itself was a little slow.

I didn't have a problem with the location of Lost In Translation either. Maybe you thought I said "place" instead of "pace" in my previous post. As I said, I thought the slowness of the film lent it a "real life" aspect. It's certainly not the type of movie for people that want the film to do all their thinking for them or who are only entertained if there's an explosion, car crash, etc. every five minutes. A popcorn munchin' "blockbuster" type movie it ain't.

It's a damn good read even though I'm not reading every single entry since it covers such a wide spectrum of music. Can't say I agree with every one of his choices either (Boston, really?) but that's half the fun of it. The other is reading about records I need to look into further. I think I've posted this before but it's a worth posting again in case you didn't see it:

1,000 Recordings To Hear Before You Die

I didn't have a problem with the location of Lost In Translation either. Maybe you thought I said "place" instead of "pace" in my previous post. As I said, I thought the slowness of the film lent it a "real life" aspect. It's certainly not the type of movie for people that want the film to do all their thinking for them or who are only entertained if there's an explosion, car crash, etc. every five minutes. A popcorn munchin' "blockbuster" type movie it ain't.

Oh I think I did mistake you saying pace for place! I certainly don't need tons of action and such either. I just felt this movie wasn't paced as well for me anyways. But still thought it was an interesting story and certainly well acted!

Oh I think I did mistake you saying pace for place! I certainly don't need tons of action and such either. I just felt this movie wasn't paced as well for me anyways. But still thought it was an interesting story and certainly well acted!

I loved how it didn't go for the usual predictable "Hollywood" ending, that would have ruined the entire movie for me.

Archived