Greedy Musicians Bailout of Concerts

Reggie29

You would know right? :rolleyes:

More than you will ever know. :rolleyes:

You own the CD, not the rights to the music itself. You can't force anyone to go live with it, nor could you forbid them from redoing the music.

I don't own the copyright so I can't make money off it, and no matter what you say I won't change my stance.

So we'll agree to disagree?

After the music is in the public domain (50 years isn't it?) everyone owns it, so it won't be long now.

So live music is for the elite huh? I, a college student, can easily pay my way into concerts, and let's just say that I'm not exactly elite. Your point makes no sense. If concerts cost upwards of thousands of dollars, then maybe I'd agree with you. But no, for the most part, concerts are for anyone and everyone.

They should be but the harsh reality is they are not.

For some people it may as well be thousands.

How much is too much?

Personally $150 in anybody's money is too much.

When you are no longer a carefree college student with a family of your own to support you'll know all about it. :)

"In the very near future things will be a lot tougher for everyone and especially for the younger generations who have always had it good (for the most part thanks to their over indulgent parents), won't know what hit them."

Not necessarily concerts but they certainly spoil them in other ways, myself included, because we all want our children to have it better than we did and it's an uphill battle to stop something once it's started.

I notice you never responded to the record company bit, so you must agree then.

Gotta go now I'm off to a corporate Christmas party.

I don't own the copyright so I can't make money off it, and no matter what you say I won't change my stance.

So we'll agree to disagree?

After the music is in the public domain (50 years isn't it?) everyone owns it, so it won't be long now.

No see, I don't think you understand what I'm saying in terms of owning "music". If Jimmy Page writes a song and puts it on a CD and you buy the CD, you bought the right to listen to it. You do not own the song, you cannot alter the song and put it under your name, it is jimmy Page's. Not yours. That is what I am saying.

They should be but the harsh reality is they are not.

For some people it may as well be thousands.

How much is too much?

If it's too much, don't go.

Personally $150 in anybody's money is too much.

When you are no longer a carefree college student with a family of your own to support you'll know all about it.

Funny, I heard that all the time, yet whenever I go to concerts, I see thousands upon thousands of middle-age men and even late-20 year old men just having a good time. Did it cost them their life-savings? If it did, somethings wrong with them, not the concert price.

Tell the record companies that.
I never saw this. My answer:

The record companies cannot force the Rolling Stones to go live. If it's in the contract of the Stones and they signed it, then yeah they could be liable to do a tour or something, but they had agreed to it prior and thus, they must follow through. That's not being forced.

But if there's no signed documents where the band or artist agreed to do a tour or something, a record company cannot just up and say "Do a tour or you're done"

Those are legal facts dude, not my opinion.

No see, I don't think you understand what I'm saying in terms of owning "music". If Jimmy Page writes a song and puts it on a CD and you buy the CD, you bought the right to listen to it. You do not own the song, you cannot alter the song and put it under your name, it is jimmy Page's. Not yours. That is what I am saying.

If it's too much, don't go.

Funny, I heard that all the time, yet whenever I go to concerts, I see thousands upon thousands of middle-age men and even late-20 year old men just having a good time. Did it cost them their life-savings? If it did, somethings wrong with them, not the concert price.

I never saw this. My answer:

The record companies cannot force the Rolling Stones to go live. If it's in the contract of the Stones and they signed it, then yeah they could be liable to do a tour or something, but they had agreed to it prior and thus, they must follow through. That's not being forced.

But if there's no signed documents where the band or artist agreed to do a tour or something, a record company cannot just up and say "Do a tour or you're done"

Those are legal facts dude, not my opinion.

I never doubted any of this for a second.

You bite harder than a redback on a toilet seat! :sarcastic_hand:

You're not the only one who can start shit! B)

wanna be, you say that as a college student, you can easily afford to pay for concert tickets. well good for you. BUT i am a fulltime working single mum, and let me tell you i cant. i am guessing you dont have too many bills to pay, which is great, but i just want to tell you that when you have them (plus kids ) entertainment gets pushed to last on the list. hell, i have to think twice about buying a CD! i would love to go see jeff beck with reggie, but the cost is just too much for me atm. im saving my entertainment dollars for jimmy.

edited for dumb spelling mistakes ( its early here! )

I never said everybody can just up and go to a concert. BUT, the argument that just because I'm a college student, it makes things that much different is simply wrong. When I do go to concerts, almost everyone I see is either just out of college to middle-aged. So, are you guys saying I won't be like that? Come on, ya gotta give me more credit than that

I never doubted any of this for a second.

You bite harder than a redback on a toilet seat! :sarcastic_hand:

You're not the only one who can start shit! B)

ok?

wanna be, you say that as a college student, you can easily afford to pay for concert tickets. well good for you. BUT i am a fulltime working single mum, and let me tell you i cant. i am guessing you dont have too many bills to pay, which is great, but i just want to tell you that when you have them (plus kids ) entertainment gets pushed to last on the list. hell, i have to think twice about buying a CD! i would love to go see jeff beck with reggie, but the cost is just too much for me atm. im saving my entertainment dollars for jimmy.

edited for dumb spelling mistakes ( its early here! )

Most college students CAN'T afford expensive concert tickets, so I don't know where that assumption stemmed from. When I was in college, every single dime I had went toward paying back school loans, making sure I had groceries and laundry soap and any school necessities. You're assuming that wanna be (and other college students) are simply rolling in dough and while some might be, I would venture that the majority aren't.

I think some of you have missed the point.

What pisses me off is the fact that they cancelled because of the weak Oz dollar (which incidentally was just a little less the the US only a matter of weeks ago), not because of the price of concert tickets.

I just shelled out $152 for a Jeff Beck ticket because that's the market and I don't have a problem with that.

I don't know what their logic is when US, UK, Euro, Yen and lot of other currencies will go a lot further in Oz than in the country of origin.

Also world tours help out the local economies of all participating countries.

1972 Led Zeppelin Concert Ticket: $3.80

Fares, Lunch etc.: $2.00

The 3 1/2 Hour Experience: PRICELESS

Your right Reggie, the original point of the thread has been lost. I was just lucky enough to have Seattle so close that I could go to see some of the bands that bypassed us but, the exchange was a killer. If the artist is selling albums in a country and there is an audience wanting to see the band live, then charge a price that takes into account, exchange rates. Don't by pass the country altogether. As I said earlier, those artists are quite happy to take the royalties from the record buying public in those countries. why not give them a tour and let us decide if it's worth the price or not.

BTW...your one lucky sod going to Jeff Beck . I hope he comes to Vancouver and given what some artists are charging these day's, that price looks pretty damn good to me :yesnod:

Most college students CAN'T afford expensive concert tickets, so I don't know where that assumption stemmed from. When I was in college, every single dime I had went toward paying back school loans, making sure I had groceries and laundry soap and any school necessities. You're assuming that wanna be (and other college students) are simply rolling in dough and while some might be, I would venture that the majority aren't.

no, i don't assume most college students are rolling in dough, but wanna be must be doing ok if he can afford tickets. i agree with you, most college students do it tough, unless they have a hand from family or such. i guess he just doesn't have bills to pay, or perhaps he has a well paying job on the side, or the afore mentioned family financial help. i was simply saying that to the average joe on an average wage, concert tickets are a real luxury.

I work more than most college students.

ok, thanks for clarifying. and good on you! i don't begrudge anyone that can afford tickets, not at all. if i could afford them, i'd go as often as i could. i'm not really your "typical" female...... i hate shopping, shoes are just something i have to wear to work. clothes shopping.....hate it !even as a teen, when the other girls were buying perfume and nail polish, i was spending my pocket money on records. haven't changed a bit. cheers!

Archived