What different languages can you speak?

ledzep45

I can speak: English (obviously), some french (I am still learning it at the moment), a bit of spanish (I am still learning it at the moment) and a bit of manderin (when I say a bit, I did a bit at school but I can't remember it now :blink: )

:D

Russian and English. Needs to learn Spanish but can't get to it, is busy... B)

Semitic languages - Arabic and Hebrew - are amazing, they're totally different from all other human languages and seen almost non-human. The words are always combined by interlacing two parts - consonants (the root) carry the semantic meaning and vowels indicate the grammatical form. For example JiHaD and MuJaHiDDiN have the same exact (semantic) root which is three consonants J-H-D (M in the 2nd word is just a prefix, and D is doubled per grammar requirements)

That is a good reason for it to be easy to learn :D

Well let me tell you somethin', even though it's my mother tongue I've always had better grades in English than in Hebrew :lol: ...I know it's kinda dumb but Hebrew is far more complicated than other languages...

Well let me tell you somethin', even though it's my mother tongue I've always had better grades in English than in Hebrew :lol: ...I know it's kinda dumb but Hebrew is far more complicated than other languages...

:lol: indeed :D

I have a minor in French (lang/lit). I'm a bit rusty speaking/writing, but still pretty fluent reading/listening. :)

I have studied beginning German and Italian; I now have a German brother in law so we are all learning more German by osmosis. My children are all learning Spanish in school, so I am learning some Spanish with them :) I will eventually take more Italian classes too, as I plan to return there one day :)

Once upon a time I was cataloguing library items in Russian (cyrillic alphabet), so although I didn't speak Russian, I knew the alphabet and was learning some vocabulary.

Russian and English. Needs to learn Spanish but can't get to it, is busy... B)

Semitic languages - Arabic and Hebrew - are amazing, they're totally different from all other human languages and seen almost non-human. The words are always combined by interlacing two parts - consonants (the root) carry the semantic meaning and vowels indicate the grammatical form. For example JiHaD and MuJaHiDDiN have the same exact (semantic) root which is three consonants J-H-D (M in the 2nd word is just a prefix, and D is doubled per grammar requirements)

My first thought was: :huh: but then I read it properly. My second tought was language is weird but clever :D

My mother tongue is Urdu [speaking wise, horrible at writing] I can speak Hindi because Urdu and Hindi are so closely related. [it's pretty much the same language, only declared Urdu in Pakistan and Hindi in India-another mindless way to separate the countries]

I've been learning Arabic all my life due to reading the Quran, so I know some words but I can mostly read Arabic very fluently. I can't speak it

I tried taking Spanish in middle school and high school, but stopped after four years because the teachers are horrendous at teaching Spanish. I don't recall much because we didn't have many exercises to help us learn the language. We just were assigned chapters from the textbook, everyday in class. It didn't help much, needless to say

I didn't grow up speaking English, So I needed to take ESL classes all throughout elementary school to learn English.

My mother tongue is Urdu [speaking wise, horrible at writing] I can speak Hindi because Urdu and Hindi are so closely related. [it's pretty much the same language, only declared Urdu in Pakistan and Hindi in India-another mindless way to separate the countries]

Hindi alphabet (devanagari) is awesome - IMO the only alphabet in existence that make complete and total sense. Every sound pronounced is written down, and nothing written is ever mute. The instant you learn the alphabet and ligatures, you can read any complexity texts. I should have become the international alphabet because it's just perfect. :D

I've been learning Arabic all my life due to reading the Quran, so I know some words but I can mostly read Arabic very fluently. I can't speak it

When you read do you "pronounce" words in your head, complete with vowels? In this case you could speak as well. I'm guessing a lot of people learning Arabic as a second language have trouble "inserting" proper vowels because they're almost never written (they are written in Quran as far as I know)

Hindi alphabet (devanagari) is awesome - IMO the only alphabet in existence that make complete and total sense. Every sound pronounced is written down, and nothing written is ever mute. The instant you learn the alphabet and ligatures, you can read any complexity texts. I should have become the international alphabet because it's just perfect. :D

When you read do you "pronounce" words in your head, complete with vowels? In this case you could speak as well. I'm guessing a lot of people learning Arabic as a second language have trouble "inserting" proper vowels because they're almost never written (they are written in Quran as far as I know)

I always have been shifting and learning languages, so focusing on English so heavily, I forgot my own mother alphabet. I did learn how to write Urdu as a young child.

Urdu_alphabets.png

That is Urdu and Hindi. Again, same language spoken, different alphabet. It's another way to try to attempt to separate India and Pakistan.

I need to review again.

and yes, I can pronounce Arabic quite well if I have an Arabic text in front of me. I just can't speak it naturally when I don't know the meaning of the words

I speak English fluently and French halfway fluently...I'm kind of slow in French, but I get there eventually. I sound a lot better on paper. ^_^ I used to speak quite a bit of Spanish, but I've forgotten a lot. I can still get out the basics with a lot of effort, but it's hard, especially since French has taken over that part of my brain. I have to un-think the French word for something before I can get the Spanish one to pop up. I took Russian for a while...I was getting pretty good, but then I dropped it, and now I've forgotten almost everything I learned, argh!

Archived