Songs in the original tuning

If this has been asked before, please let me know. I was wondering what songs the band played in the original tuning at the o2, because, if you hadn't noticed, they had to lower the tuning a full step for Percy. :lol: I would go and figure it out with the Katzeye dvd and a guitar but I'm way too lazy. haha

Thanks in advance

BK

Good Times, Bad Times - tuned down, #1 Les Paul

Ramble On - tuned down, #1 Les Paul

Black Dog - tuned down, # 1 Les Paul

In My Time Of Dying - origional live tuning, the album version is in open A, but live they always played it in open G

For Your Life - origional tuning, Black Beauty Les Paul

Trampled Underfoot - origional tuning, #2 Les Paul

Nobody's Fault But Mine - tuned down, # 1 Les Paul

No Quarter - tuned down, #1 Les Paul

Since I've Been Loving You - origional tuning, #2 Les Paul

Dazed and Confused - tuned down, #1 Les Paul

Stairway To Heaven - tuned down, EDS - 1275

The Song Remains The Same - tuned down, EDS - 1275

Misty Mountain Hop - origional tuning, #2 Les Paul

Kasmir - origional tuning DADGAD, #3 Les Paul

Whole Lotta Love - origional tuning, Gold Top Transperformance Les Paul

Rock and Roll - tuned down, I can't tell which guitar but probably the #1.

In My Time Of Dying - origional live tuning, the album version is in open A, but live they always played it in open G

For the life of me, with such superb fan analysis as above, I can't understand why Robert isn't simply chomping at the bit to get back out on the road with Zep and sing "tuned down" so he can provide further message board material. How do you come up with this stuff? Do you break down video (or in this case You Tube clips) like football coaches preparing for an opponent? I live in a city where there is an amateur or a professional (or in-between) musician on about every block and I have never seen a professional vocalist's every note broken down and analyzed in the manner that it occurs on this board every day. I have Bluegrass musician friends that read this board occasionally and ask me "are you sure that is an official board they set up for FANS"? They all, by the way, have profound respect for both Robert's vocal range and his cultural sensitivity and respect for other musicians when he explores a new genre of music. I just wish some of his alledged LZ fans would at least be as respectful of him as he is of others. You don't have to agree with the career choices he makes, but to imply his voice is shot is not only bogus, but disrepectful. And easily disputed.

For the life of me, with such superb fan analysis as above, I can't understand why Robert isn't simply chomping at the bit to get back out on the road with Zep and sing "tuned down" so he can provide further message board material. How do you come up with this stuff? Do you break down video (or in this case You Tube clips) like football coaches preparing for an opponent? I live in a city where there is an amateur or a professional (or in-between) musician on about every block and I have never seen a professional vocalist's every note broken down and analyzed in the manner that it occurs on this board every day. I have Bluegrass musician friends that read this board occasionally and ask me "are you sure that is an official board they set up for FANS"? They all, by the way, have profound respect for both Robert's vocal range and his cultural sensitivity and respect for other musicians when he explores a new genre of music. I just wish some of his alledged LZ fans would at least be as respectful of him as he is of others. You don't have to agree with the career choices he makes, but to imply his voice is shot is not only bogus, but disrepectful. And easily disputed.

didn't read any disrespect in his response, he just answered the question...read a lot of hostility in yours though...

didn't read any disrespect in his response, he just answered the question...read a lot of hostility in yours though...

No hostility intended, perhaps I should try to find time to break down film from the Raising Sand tour to prove my point that night after night, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Plant's voice on an extended tour. (Unfortunately I have very little time to analyze You Tube clips). I am amazed at what an issue this has become on this board. When you look at some of the other threads addressing this same issue, it appears that a singer who is unwilling to give the fans exactly what they want, at this given moment, in their cities of choice, can all the sudden no longer be capable of singing the old songs. I think Raising Sand and the one- off at the O2 clearly indicate that Plant is still capable of delivering a great vocal performance. He is being villainized for career choices under the guise of "he can't hit the notes anyway". Maybe the reason Page still has not settled on a singer for the new project is that he realizes that anyone he hires can never equate the performance of Plant, regardless of vocal range or other abilities.

No hostility intended, perhaps I should try to find time to break down film from the Raising Sand tour to prove my point that night after night, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Plant's voice on an extended tour. (Unfortunately I have very little time to analyze You Tube clips). I am amazed at what an issue this has become on this board. When you look at some of the other threads addressing this same issue, it appears that a singer who is unwilling to give the fans exactly what they want, at this given moment, in their cities of choice, can all the sudden no longer be capable of singing the old songs. I think Raising Sand and the one- off at the O2 clearly indicate that Plant is still capable of delivering a great vocal performance. He is being villainized for career choices under the guise of "he can't hit the notes anyway". Maybe the reason Page still has not settled on a singer for the new project is that he realizes that anyone he hires can never equate the performance of Plant, regardless of vocal range or other abilities.

Agreed. But the thread was asking what songs were tuned down for the performance, so they were just answering the question posed. :slapface:

I found it to be funny when Page jumped up the notes during Nobody's Fault But Mine and Robert immediately pointed his finger down as to say, get that back into the tune I am singing. B)

I think Robert is amazing no matter if I am listening to a show from 69, 77 or current. Plus his stage presence is second to none in the realm of front men. :D

Besides, his voice sounds better that way. How many times did his voice break? None? Or once at the highest end of the Black Dog wail? Compare and contrast with the original bootlegs. I was ill at ease hearing about the drop. It took a couple of listens to get comfortable with it. Now the O2 has survived many listens. I have completely come to grips with and learned to enjoy whats to be enjoyed about the new range. I think they should have done this way back in 1975. It sounds good. The key of D sounded more bright on the guitars.. dropping to C or B is darker... but it's good. I'm in.

It's no problem.

Then there are people like me who don't notice the difference. :bagoverhead: (Well, unless you play one immediately after the other, of course.)

It all sounds good to me!

I noticed the difference on Stairway and Ramble on but I didn't care one bit because though I wasn't there, I've heard enough recordings to hear they sounded mighty fantastic.

Thanks for the expert breakdown of which songs were tuned down. IMO, it worked on most of the songs because it gave them a new feel, making them sound more sinister and dark.

They did what they had to do for Robert's voice and I don't give a spit about Jack Bruce's criticism :angry:

IMO, it worked on most of the songs because it gave them a new feel, making them sound more sinister and dark.

I agree. I thought it really worked on certain songs like 'No Quarter' and 'Stairway'.

You need to calm down, I mentioned nothing of Robert's voice I just answered the question with some additional details from the videos I saw. I think his voice is just fine and the songs did indeed get an "edge" from being tuned down, I rather enjoyed it.

You need to calm down, I mentioned nothing of Robert's voice I just answered the question with some additional details from the videos I saw. I think his voice is just fine and the songs did indeed get an "edge" from being tuned down, I rather enjoyed it.

Have you done a similar analysis of Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney and Roger Daltrey's recent vocal efforts? Just wondering.

Have you done a similar analysis of Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney and Roger Daltrey's recent vocal efforts? Just wondering.

Well I have somewhat tracked how they sound over the years, I only know so much about Robert because I REALLY love Led Zeppelin live and have over 60 boots including a few Page & Plant ones . If you really want to know what I think of their voices then I will tell you.

I noticed the difference on Stairway and Ramble on but I didn't care one bit because though I wasn't there, I've heard enough recordings to hear they sounded mighty fantastic.

Agree with you on the above two songs as far as noticing the difference in tone. I share the opinion of Kevin Shirley (Mixed TSRTS) that STH just didn't sound right. After hearing Robert easily hitting the high notes on Kashmir the original tone would have been no problem for him.

As for Ramble, the one and only song where I thought Robert struggled with the delivery some. He sort of "talks" his way through the song. The lyrics didn't seem to flow like I've heard him perform the song in the past, P/P shows. Nonetheless, a brilliant show!!

No hostility intended, perhaps I should try to find time to break down film from the Raising Sand tour to prove my point that night after night, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Plant's voice on an extended tour.

That's Robert singing duet on light fare that was recently recorded featuring vocal lines tailored to his voice today. It doesn't say anything about his ability to carry a Zep tour.

Robert has been scat singing Ramble On in a staccato since P/P. He just never gives it the full treatment.

Personally, the scat version that you refer to, just doesn't work for me. Out of all the songs they performed that night Ramble was clearly the weakest, and most different from the originals. Just my .02

That's Robert singing duet on light fare that was recently recorded featuring vocal lines tailored to his voice today. It doesn't say anything about his ability to carry a Zep tour.

I don't think Raising Sand was recorded to suit Robert's voice. I think he chose to sing the songs that way because that's how he felt they'd come across best. To expect he'd sound like he did 30 plus years ago is impossible. He proved at the 02 he's quite capable of getting the power and edge of Zep's songs across even if the "wail" wasn't there.

Although I am not a professional musician, I have to disagree with your assessment of his ability to carry a Zep tour. I think he could repeat his O2 performance easily, if not better, on a reasonably paced tour. I heard all I needed to hear on Kashmir. He still has it. After all, he has been the Zep member that has been out there bringing it, night after night after night, since 1980.

• 4 months later...

Bitchin' analysis, but I have one thing to add: Whenever the band did NQ live, they always played it one half-step higher than the album version on Houses. At the O2, they did it in the original ALBUM key, but lower than the original LIVE key. So, technically, it is in the original tuning, just not the live one we are all used to. Still an awesome list though.

Bitchin' analysis, but I have one thing to add: Whenever the band did NQ live, they always played it one half-step higher than the album version on Houses. At the O2, they did it in the original ALBUM key, but lower than the original LIVE key. So, technically, it is in the original tuning, just not the live one we are all used to. Still an awesome list though.

Actually, No Quarter on HOTH was slowed down a half step, the original tuning was standard. Page played around with the playback speed on HOTH quite a bit,

with great results.

I'm pretty sure that No Quarter was the only Zeppelin track where the whole band including vocals were all re-pitched, I could be wrong though.

Archived