WOW - shockingly unbelievable

caroselambra~

my youngest daughter rebecca is currently at college doing media & film - she is 19

for one of her modules (called disturbing cinema) she has to do an analysis and critique on a film called *irreversible*

i ordered it from amazon and it arrived yesterday

it is a subtitled french movie and stars monica bellucci and vincent cassel

to say i was shocked would be an understatement!

it is the most disturbing, violent and shocking film i have ever seen

just google it and you'll get a feel for what it's all about

you can forget your gory slasher movies, this is done in such a realistic way it has to be seen to be believed

amazon says this about it

Arguably, this is not a film most would subject themselves to twice, but it is something that stays in the mind for days after viewing, sparking far more ideas and emotions than most wallow-in-nastiness pictures

anyway, the point of this thread is - what's the most disturbing movie you have seen and what makes it so?

I haven't googled your movie....doesn't sound like something i want to know about.

The first time i watched "A Clockwork Orange" at age 14 i found it to be a bit shocking.

When i was 15 or 16 my best friend and i went to see a midnight showing of David Lynch's "Eraserhead". It was quite weird and a bit disturbing (so dark and eerie and just plain weird)!

only saw *clockwork orange* quite recently actually (last 5 years or so) thanks to the self imposed ban by stanley kubrick

i found it to be a bit like a weird dream more than anything else

havent seen eraserhead, although i generally like david lynch movies

*wild at heart* is quite brilliant

:)

a French movie called Passion in the Desert. A French soldier is lost in the desert, meets and falls in love with a female leopard, has sex with her and then kills the poor cat. She should have bit his head off the first time he climbed on her but then there wouldn't have been much of a movie left. A disturbing movie with no merit whatsoever except that it prompted a lot man-cat love jokes around my house for a day.

I heard about Irreversible, although I haven't watched it yet. The newspaper review I read said the same thing, that it's extremely violent and shocking. I can't decide whether or not I want to watch it.

One movie I watched recently that disturbed me was Bug with Ashley Judd. Definitely not her typical role. It's not really violent or gory, but it was mentally disturbing. It stuck with me and bothered me afterwards.

Also, I found Deliverance disturbing. Maybe that was because I got stuck watching it with my father.

The Last Days Of Sophie Scholl disturbed me a lot. It's about a 24 year old woman who dared fighting non-violent against Hitler, and is murdered by the Nazis in the end (true story).

No violence (apart from a black screen and sreams during the execution scene) but the actors were so good that I was wet with tears.

Wouldn't like to see it again.

The Last Days Of Sophie Scholl disturbed me a lot. It's about a 24 year old woman who dared fighting non-violent against Hitler, and is murdered by the Nazis in the end (true story).

No violence (apart from a black screen and sreams during the execution scene) but the actors were so good that I was wet with tears.

Wouldn't like to see it again.

yes - i totally agree, the implied violence is more shocking in this film than seeing it head on

Have a thick stomach, shit like that doesn't usually get to me.

I saw Hostel, guess it was bad. Hated it, mainly because it sucked as a horror film.

The Saw series pisses some people off because it's violent and gory and shit, but I love the story and think they're awesome films.

I don't know though, i haven't really seen anything that really disturbed me in terms of gore and stuff

Brandon Lee's The Crow is the only movie I have ever walked out on (about 1/3 to 1/2 in) I don't recall if it was because of violence or just boring.....it was definitely "dark" as in it all took place at night. bleh, not my idea of a good movie but maybe I missed some redeeming factor at the end?

One of the most disturbing movies I recall was Ken Russell's The Devils with Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave.

Oh, I liked that movie - Oliver Reed's performance was beautiful, very moving.

I saw a film this past weekend called "Edmond," written by David Mamet and starring William H. Macy, Julia Stiles and some other people who should have known better. It wasn't shocking so much as repulsive and nihilistic; it makes you feel like you want to shower afterwards.

I haven't googled your movie....doesn't sound like something i want to know about.

All you have to do is watch the news. B)

When i was 15 or 16 my best friend and i went to see a midnight showing of David Lynch's "Eraserhead". It was quite weird and a bit disturbing (so dark and eerie and just plain weird)!

I saw that way back in the 70's. Lovely photography but S-T-R-A-N-G-E!!!!!! :blink:

One of the most disturbing, well maybe not disturbing, but kinda bothered me and kept me thinking about it was, Dancer in the Dark with Bjork.

Gus Van Sant, going by the Dogma 95 book, has the potential to make some disturbing stuff, or just too realistic...

but it was Bjorks performance that stuck with me. She was so convincing, and played such a sad character....amazing performance. She said she would never act again after that because it took too much out of her emotionally. I can't blame her after that.

Others that stuck with me and bothered me were

Monster with Charlize Theron

Clockwork Orange

and Fire in the Sky....saw that wayyyy to young and scared the fuck outta me.

All you have to do is watch the news. B)

I saw that way back in the 70's. Lovely photography but S-T-R-A-N-G-E!!!!!! :blink:

I saw it in the early 80's. I know it did a run on the midnight movie circuit (same as when i first saw The Song Remains The Same).

Some images i found from the movie...lovely stuff :)

Let me be clear, i do not consider this a good movie, but it was an interesting movie at the young age i first saw it...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074486/

eraserhead_streifen.jpg

I saw it in the early 80's. I know it did a run on the midnight movie circuit (same as when i first saw The Song Remains The Same).

Some images i found from the movie...lovely stuff :)

Let me be clear, i do not consider this a good movie, but it was an interesting movie at the young age i first saw it...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074486/

eraserhead_streifen.jpg

What was that thing wrapped up? (top right) :blink:

When I was 12 or so I saw the previews of 'Blood Feast' at the drive-in and it totally freaked me out. :unsure::blink:

Last time I saw it in the 80's it was pretty funny. That and '2,000 Maniacs' :lol:

Some days ago I saw a disturbing movie "The Devils Rejects" it was written and directed by Rob Zombie, ex-singer of White Zombie, the movie is terrible but the soundtrack is really good and the finish theme is Free Bird of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Archived