hopes and fears for new music

My fear is that in the new band they will get into a situation where they are trying to play something that they want to be popular or commercially successful. I really do not want here any pop/rock (for example, Santana's Supernatural cd but with one singer and I am a big early Santana fan) and I would rather not hear any modern rock or even stadium rock.

My hope is that they will create some 'real music' to use a borrowed phrase. Building on their roots of blues, soul, rhythm and blues, funk, classic rock 'n roll, jazz, folk, bluegrass, etc. with a new perspective wherever their roots-inspired music takes them.

I think about Steve Winwood's release a few years ago About Time as a great example. I consider this to be 'real music'. He built on his jazz, etc. roots.

Also I think Robert Plant and The Strange Sensation is another great example. I consider this to be 'real music'. He built on his blues, world, folk, psychedelic, etc. roots.

Personally, some relatively new territory I hope they will explore is a jazz fusion song (with or without vocals) with a guest sax player, a slow funky jam (with vocals) with a guest sax player and a folk/bluegrass instrumental jam.

So I rambled on a little bit, but I did want to express my opinion while ideas are still being explored.

What are your fears/concerns and hopes for the new music?

I have no concerns or fears and my hope is we hear some new music very very soon!!! Jimmy, John Paul and Jason are fantastic musicians who's musical potential is endless. I trust whatever style it will be, I know it will make me happy and proud.

I agree and am very excited what they will have in store for us! :D

I have no concerns or fears and my hope is we hear some new music very very soon!!! Jimmy, John Paul and Jason are fantastic musicians who's musical potential is endless. I trust whatever style it will be, I know it will make me happy and proud.

Quote of the day Ninelives :D Someone turn out the lights :D

If we do hear something new, I'm with you that it will make many of us very, very happy. I doubt they would put something out that would not be awe inspiring to many. The big question remains. Are they, or are they not really going to do it or just fade away again under a cloud of hype.

If we do hear something new, I'm with you that it will make many of us very, very happy. I doubt they would put something out that would not be awe inspiring to many. The big question remains. Are they, or are they not really going to do it or just fade away again under a cloud of hype.

I have to agree with you zooma, and this makes me feel uneasy :(

When they bring something out, it will shine. Just the core of the problem is somewhere else.

I'm very optimistic something will happen. I think the recent comments during the past month or so in brief by JPJ from the Manson Guitar Show saying positive things about playing with Jimmy and Jason, someone from the Page camp making it very clear that whatever this is without Robert Plant this is not Led Zeppelin and most recently Robert Plant giving his nod of approval with his comments is all very encouraging.

I think the groundwork has been laid for a new band and a new start. I think now they can move forward in a very healthy manner.

Personally, I'm glad J/J/J are taking their time, thinking about it and exploring the options available to them for the new band.

I'm fairly certain the media will continue the hype by using the Zeppelin name when referring to the new band as a way to sell magazines, advertising, etc.

As a Zeppelin fans I think were all used to that.

I will wait patiently for J/J/J to do what they think is best when the time is right.

I'm very optimistic something will happen. I think the recent comments during the past month or so in brief by JPJ from the Manson Guitar Show saying positive things about playing with Jimmy and Jason, someone from the Page camp making it very clear that whatever this is without Robert Plant this is not Led Zeppelin and most recently Robert Plant giving his nod of approval with his comments is all very encouraging.

I think the groundwork has been laid for a new band and a new start. I think now they can move forward in a very healthy manner.

Personally, I'm glad J/J/J are taking their time, thinking about it and exploring the options available to them for the new band.

I'm fairly certain the media will continue the hype by using the Zeppelin name when referring to the new band as a way to sell magazines, advertising, etc.

As a Zeppelin fans I think were all used to that.

I will wait patiently for J/J/J to do what they think is best when the time is right.

I'm with you on all of this. We just need to be patient. Some time after New Years we'll probably get specifics of the project involved. Looking forward to it. That's sort of unfortunate that the Zeppelin name will always be tied to this project. Nothing you can do about it. And once they start doing press for the project I wonder how many countless times they'll be asked why Robert isn't involved. Their patience may wear thin on this after a while.

Once they reveal who the new singer is and they give it a name and act like a band then people will stop bugging them about Robert. They just need something to show for their efforts besides well rehearsed Zep covers. The only sign of cohesion we have right now is the fact that Jimmy and JPJ are always showing up in public together.

Personally I don't care how few albums they sell or how small the venues are they play as long as they do something.

Edited by mos6507

Why does there have to be a singer? It is a no win situation no matter who they get. I say just do instrumental and alleviate the hype right away. Personally, I prefer instrumental music these days. Singing is just the filler between the guitar solos :)

Once they reveal who the new singer is and they give it a name and act like a band then people will stop bugging them about Robert. They just need something to show for their efforts besides well rehearsed Zep covers. The only sign of cohesion we have right now is the fact that Jimmy and JPJ are always showing up in public together.

Personally I don't care how few albums they sell or how small the venues are they play as long as they do something.

Sadly I don't see it as in your first sentence. The media will be a pain in the ass forever. <_<

And we are one on your other points. :beer:

Why does there have to be a singer? It is a no win situation no matter who they get. I say just do instrumental and alleviate the hype right away. Personally, I prefer instrumental music these days. Singing is just the filler between the guitar solos :)

You make a very good point. There does not need to be a singer. I like instrumental music very, very much. It would be awesome. I would be there to see them in a minute.

To another one of your points I do hope they scale things back and go to small/midsized venues and forget about the arenas and stadiums.

However, I think they probably will have singer.

I feel compelled to express my opinions because I just listened to Altar Bridge for the first time. While I do respect the talents of the singer Myles Kennedy, I do not care for their music. I do not care for modern rock. I have no doubt if the 3 J's and Myles Kennedy did collaborate that it would be quality music, but I do not think it would be what I'm looking for. Based on what I just heard from Alter Bridge I'm thinking a collaboration between Myles Kennedy and the 3 J's would end up being some type of classic rock retread/ stadium rock band.

I would like to go back to my original comments in the beginning of my post and say that I hope the 3J's create more roots-inspired rock, 'real music' to use a borrowed phrase.

Some examples of newer music by rock legends that I have found that I like that I think falls into this category of roots-inspired 'real music' are

Steve Winwood from his release a few years ago called About Time

Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation, Dreamland and The Mighty Rearranger

The Allman Brothers Band release from a few years ago called Hittin' The Note

and the recent Cream Reunion (not new music, but very tasteful roots-inspired rock)

Admittedly, I am not as familiar with newer music by rock legends as I used to be so I am sure there are other examples.

If you can think of one please post

Does anyone else yearn to here some more roots-inspired rock 'real music' and less modern rock, retread classic rock/arena rock?

It can be loud music and it can be heavy music, but gimme some roots-inspired rock that is 'real'

"Real music" as opposed to fake music? Can't say I'm too keen on that expression. At all.

It's like the constant demand for music to be "relevant"--to what? I love Glenn Miller, and his stuff's not relevant to anything I can think of--except when you're having a discussion about good music, then it fits right in! That's the only relevance it needs. (Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.)

Once they reveal who the new singer is and they give it a name and act like a band then people will stop bugging them about Robert.

They didn't stop asking Page and Plant where Jonesy was, they haven't stopped asking Robert if he's going to sing with the others again one day--I think this is wishful thinking, I'm afraid!

IMHO, I think the major catalyst in any new music will be JPJ. Just listen to his two solo cd's. Quite original and contemporary without bowing to recent or current musical trends, plus, the guy CAN write a monster riff (listen to B. Fingers!) as well as new and fresh sounding music (ex. Grind).

I just hope they get on with it before it's too late.

Let Robert do his thing, and move on.