Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
TheZeppyWanderer

" BIGGEST REFORMATION OF 2009 "

Just had another thought about this...not quite sure why it has to be an English band? Abba sort of fit the bill.Pre-punk?Yes. Teenage boy etc? Erm...well..yes,in a way? Possibly more popular now than ever,due in part to the success of the Mamma Mia film. Does anyone know how popular they were as a live band in the 1970's? What sort of venues did they play,what was ticket demand like etc? I seem to hazily recall them playing some shows either at Earls Court or Wembley Empire Poll/Arena around about 1977/78,maybe.

Having said all this,it just seems a bit unlikely to me,but who really knows?

Genesis and Gabriel would also have to include Steve Hackett to be [sort of] credible,really.

This has happened before,to refinance Womad after it made a loss in its first year. My memory is that Milton Keynes Bowl wasn't sold out for that Genesis/Gabriel reunion,which did include Mr Hackett too.Would that 'package' really be anywhere as big a draw as Zep? I know the quote said second biggest but I'd back Abba to sell more tickets than Genesis with Gabriel etc.

Just had another thought about this...not quite sure why it has to be an English band? Abba sort of fit the bill.Pre-punk?Yes. Teenage boy etc? Erm...well..yes,in a way? Possibly more popular now than ever,due in part to the success of the Mamma Mia film. Does anyone know how popular they were as a live band in the 1970's? What sort of venues did they play,what was ticket demand like etc? I seem to hazily recall them playing some shows either at Earls Court or Wembley Empire Poll/Arena around about 1977/78,maybe.

Having said all this,it just seems a bit unlikely to me,but who really knows?

Well, ABBA were the first live band I ever saw as an 8 year old in 1979! :) That was at Wembley Arena.

I was just on Wikipedia reading The Kinks' page and saw this:

In an interview with BBC Radio 4 on September 29, 2008, Ray Davies said that the seminal English band could reform soon. He said he wouldn't do it as a nostalgia act, but only to work on new material with the band. Davies told the UK radio station: "There is a desire to do it. The thing that would make me decide 'yes' or 'no' would be whether or not we could do new songs". Davies also went on to explain that the main barrier to the band getting back together was the illness of his brother, guitarist Dave Davies, who suffered a stroke in 2004.[9]

In November 2008 Ray Davies told the BBC that the band were beginning to write new material for a possible reunion. The interview did not clarify who the band members were at this time.

Genesis - all depends on Peter Gabriel's schedule and wanting to clear a year off to work on it. He said he felt embarrassed by how they performed in 1982, and isn't sure he wants to dig up the outfits, but that's what video screens are for, and if you saw the last tour... it was one of the biggest video screens. He isn't shutting the idea down, though. Supposedly PG visited Genesis at one of the stadium shows in Europe.. and there's footage around of Phil playing "The Musical Box" with the tribute band of that same name.

Pink Floyd - They got together at Live 8, but if the Syd Barrett tribute's any indication, Roger didn't want to stand on stage with them and preferred to do his own song "Flickering Flame". But for 30 pounds you got to see 4 members of Pink Floyd under the same roof. Pink Floyd already had other keyboardists that toured in 88 (in case Richard was going to be a problem) and 94, plus Roger has his keyboardist... someone like Steve Winwood, Garth Hudson (PF were huge Band fans), Rabbit Bundrick who's worked with The Who for a while.

Kinks - Ray Davies said recently there's a new Kinks CD in the works.

Faces - Ron Wood had said in the book that it's definitely possible but it's a matter of when they can get together and do it. He went to rehab last year, a sober Faces... is there a point?

So far no one's mentioned Roxy Music with Eno being a big reformation.

ABBA sort of reunited (are there any ABBA meets Led Zep stories?), at the UK "Mamma Mia" screening, but they didn't all stand together for photos.. the only tour they're doing are their memorabilia including the outfits.

Michael Jackson has no interest in touring with the Jacksons... must really hate them.

John Fogerty has buried the hatchet with his record label, but I don't know if he's mended fences with Stu and Doug. But he has been involved in all things CCR for the past year.

Fleetwood Mac's just doing another tour, minus McVie. If McVie and Green were included, it would be a bigger deal.

More recent - possibility of Stone Roses and No Doubt. Blur's supposed to be back. Faith No More reuniting.

Steely Dan with Jeff Baxter and Denny Dias?

Alice Cooper's band would be good... but anyone know what happened to them.

Some of the mentions have happened in the past decade... trying to think what would be that big of a buzz, and almost nothing comes to mind.

Sly and the Family Stone exists, and Sly usually shows up mid-set, plays for 20 minutes, then leaves.

Blind Faith? With Winwood and Clapton doing the MSG shows, possible they might have Ginger added on and call it a "reunion".

Edited by dalsh327

link ....

http://www.planetrock.co.uk/021208-1html

now my first thought was ...... WTF ! Promotion people just don't talk like that nowadays.

every album that is released these days is the greatest ever. Every musician is the greatest of all time. You never hear anybody playing down their product as being in any way second best.

So - am I being over optimistic (again !) in suggesting this may be Zep-related ?

your thoughts.

Hey-Up,

The link is "Pants" or "Greatful Dead" in the water, but the Band getting it back on IS...........

Crosby Stills Nash & Young...

All the best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

Biggest Reformation since Zep:

1. KISS - They could pack a world tour. You wouldn't need a lottery for ticket sales but it would be very profitable for the band and promoter and it would rank pretty high rock history wise.

2. Bad Company - Paul and Mick may have mended thier differences. Not likely considering thier method of breakup but not impossible. The Original Bad Company could be a very strong ticket in 2009. Maybe not second to Zep but still a strong draw.

Biggest Reformation since Zep:

1. KISS - They could pack a world tour. You wouldn't need a lottery for ticket sales but it would be very profitable for the band and promoter and it would rank pretty high rock history wise.

2. Bad Company - Paul and Mick may have mended thier differences. Not likely considering thier method of breakup but not impossible. The Original Bad Company could be a very strong ticket in 2009. Maybe not second to Zep but still a strong draw.

KISS never really broke up. They keep saying fairwell tours but they never seem to mean it, so don't think it's them nor would that likely make a huge deal if they do tour this year.

I'd like to see the original Black Sabbath... not gonna happen. :( But damn, that would be awesome!

I'd like to see the original Black Sabbath... not gonna happen. :( But damn, that would be awesome!

It's already happened...

They already did that in 1999 and then kept doing a shorter set as part of Ozzfest for a long time, with and without Bill Ward. For this to be a big deal it has to be the first full-fledged reunion attempt of a classic band.

They already did that in 1999 and then kept doing a shorter set as part of Ozzfest for a long time, with and without Bill Ward. For this to be a big deal it has to be the first full-fledged reunion attempt of a classic band.

1997, and Bill Ward was behind the kit most times. It was only when he suffered a heart attack in 1998 that he was replaced by Vinny Appice for a short while.

It's already happened...

Yeah, I know. I want new material (an album, not 2 songs).

I guess it's The Faces, but we'll see.

I saw them in the early 70s (Iommi, Butler, Ward and Ozzy) and then again in '99. So yeah, I got my reunion wish fullfilled.

I can't believe some of the bands being mentioned here. It's clearly for those 'guys who were teens in the pre-punk years, meaning mid 70s or before. Focus people!

I saw them in the early 70s (Iommi, Butler, Ward and Ozzy) and then again in '99. So yeah, I got my reunion wish fullfilled.

I can't believe some of the bands being mentioned here. It's clearly for those 'guys who were teens in the pre-punk years, meaning mid 70s or before. Focus people!

:lol: Guilty as charged

Come to think of it, maybe it is Focus, Jan Akkerman's old Dutch prog-rock band.

513SusxFTYL._SS500_.jpg

:D

Slade

Were pretty big in UK, friends of Zep and Sabbath. Nearly the first band to have a live album go to No 1 (they got No 2). String of Number 1 singles and albums. A true rock n roll band, and notable for attracting more lads than girls. Pre punk they were most popular although they kept the same lineup from 66-91. All members still alive today. Just a hope that i could be them but most likely not cos Noddy declines to perform again.

Edited by Polo Muncher

Slade

Were pretty big in UK, friends of Zep and Sabbath. Nearly the first band to have a live album go to No 1 (they got No 2). String of Number 1 singles and albums. A true rock n roll band, and notable for attracting more lads than girls. Pre punk they were most popular although they kept the same lineup from 66-91. All members still alive today. Just a hope that i could be them but most likely not cos Noddy declines to perform again.

Yeah, Slade crossed my mind too.

Remember it's pre-punk 70's and a band second to Zep in legend and popularity. The choices will just be a few.

Edited by SuperDave

Remember it's pre-punk 70's and a band second to Zep in legend and popularity. The choices will just be a few.

This is getting to be like Where's Waldo? :unsure:

Don't know if this band has already been mentioned but how about... The Buffalo Springfield